HiRez Poll Lennon, John - IMAGINE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of John Lennon - IMAGINE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Quad = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 0 surround mix = 6 total
5.1 = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 1 surround mix = 7 total
Raw studio mixes = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 3 surround mix and 1 bonus just because = 10 total

So, add 3, subtract 2, carry the 4 and I get... 9! From now on the Raw Studio mixes will be the only way I listen to this album😁

I like to review as the whole package, and this release has a lot. I'll hold my vote for specific surround, but for now: I received the Japanese Edition, great packaging, arrived as always from CDJapan without a blemish.
The 4 CD's are SHM CD's, and of course I would never debate as to whether they are better than a redbook CD, but I do find them better, myself, by how much?, maybe a little.
I listened to all 4 SHM CD's in my car, they sounded fantastic, did I want to shoot myself after listening to the same songs over and over for 3 days, absolutely yes. Disc 1, stay with the BD-A, Disc 2 and Disc 3, once in my lifetime is enough. Disc 4 is pretty cool as you get a lot of John talking, I liked it.
The book is really great, and I learned some things. Between the book and the 4 SHM CD's, I could write an essay on IMAGINE, but I guess I am reading and listening to somebody else's essay.
My friend Ralphie, says "the reason the songs are on the cutting room floor, is because that's where they belong". I agree, there is no way I could sit at home and listen to the 4 discs on my big rig.
Nice to have them, but how much money did I spend for a once in a lifetime listen.
Later I will vote after I have heard both BD's.
I encourage anybody to listen to the CD's in the car, as John Lennon's lyrics are stunning.
I will be back for my vote and opinion on the BD-A's
As Scoop Nisker, ( a San Francisco news reporter 60's and 70's on early underground KSAN radio) said,"If you don't like the news then make some of your own".
I say, If you don't like my ears then listen for yourself.

Quad = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 0 surround mix = 6 total
5.1 = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 1 surround mix = 7 total
Raw studio mixes = 3 fidelity, 3 content, 3 surround mix and 1 bonus just because = 10 total

So, add 3, subtract 2, carry the 4 and I get... 9! From now on the Raw Studio mixes will be the only way I listen to this album😁

Snood was very confused by your scoring at first :unsure::eek: then :LB....to be honest Snood still confused :geek:

If I decide to chuck this set, after some listens and a review... it should be relatively easy, seeing as it will only be missing some stupid bonus disc with raw mixes!
What are you saying? Confused...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A500FU met Tapatalk

Baggins was joking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in the slightest. Sounds like the bonus BD is the only disc with staying power for the typical QQer, but I don't think Joe Public will miss it much.
Seeing as how I tend to sell the more expensive stuff I acquire (got a one year old to feed), it might be relatively easy to get a lot of the value of the box back.
Sorry if my post was confusing. I thought it would be self-explanatory, given the multiple posts exclaiming the praises of the bonus disc...

it's an odd one to judge..the quad mix has always been pretty average, and it still is, and the 5.1 new mix is of course much better ,but it's not totally awesome,but the raw mixes in 5.1 are really good, except for Klauss Vorrman and his bass guitar on the rear right channel..which is ok on my system,but i can see some people might have rears that overload from it...it really is like he's just plugged his bass amp into your rear right speaker,and your hifi is expected to be able to take it at full blast......and having all the singles in 5.1 is really good too..

Not in the slightest. Sounds like the bonus BD is the only disc with staying power for the typical QQer, but I don't think Joe Public will miss it much.
Seeing as how I tend to sell the more expensive stuff I acquire (got a one year old to feed), it might be relatively easy to get a lot of the value of the box back.
Sorry if my post was confusing. I thought it would be self-explanatory, given the multiple posts exclaiming the praises of the bonus disc...

I think there was some confusion due to language interpretation vs your use of English "slang"...I noticed the tapatalk is in Dutch...so I'm thinking that English is the not the primary language of Computernator...so when you spoke of the "stupid bonus disc" he probably thought that was a comment on the quality of the disc...which is just the opposite of your intention:cool:

I think there was some confusion due to language interpretation vs your use of English "slang"...I noticed the tapatalk is in Dutch...so I'm thinking that English is the not the primary language of Computernator...so when you spoke of the "stupid bonus disc" he probably thought that was a comment on the quality of the disc...which is just the opposite of your intention:cool:
He could have meant the extra CD's. I haven't opened my set yet, so I'm hoping for some clues what to start with...

No, I got it...you were saying "stupid bonus disc"......it was sort of an ironic comment. :) We all know the bonus disc is the best...lol.

He could have meant the extra CD's. I haven't opened my set yet, so I'm hoping for some clues what to start with...

i would not start with the Raw Studio mixes on Blu-ray 2, I fear you may be disappointed with the surround of the rest of the material. personally I would say to start with Blu-ray 1 and the Quadrasonic mixes, then try the new album 5.1 mixes on the same Blu-ray disc.

next, goto Blu-ray 2, try the elements mixes.. and then i'd save the best til last, delve into the Raw live in-studio mixes. these are utterly amazing in my opinion and some of the most sensational surround music i've ever experienced. breathtaking.

i would not start with the Raw Studio mixes on Blu-ray 2, I fear you may be disappointed with the surround of the rest of the material. personally I would say to start with Blu-ray 1 and the Quadrasonic mixes, then try the new album 5.1 mixes on the same Blu-ray disc.

next, goto Blu-ray 2, try the elements mixes.. and then i'd save the best til last, delve into the Raw live in-studio mixes. these are utterly amazing in my opinion and some of the most sensational surround music i've ever experienced. breathtaking.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan.:phones

This is really impressive!
Well mastered throughout. A little limited but just a little and there's no arguing with the sound.

It's good to have a clean copy of the original quad even if it isn't very adventurous or revealing to begin with. Stuff that sounds subdued or low mid happy like this didn't transfer well in the analog days. So it has its original charm now FWIW.

The 5.1 remix. So this is just the quad mix with a center and Lfe separated out? Maybe from a stems reduction of some kind? Whatever it is, it's just an inferior copy of the original quad. There's no hiss... maybe subdued by noise reduction? Who would have thought the original would win a round here!

The extended 5.1 mixes. These just sound incredible. The '70s throwback with the drums and bass in the rears is pretty bold and not something I thought I'd be hearing.

The outtakes 5.1 mixes. Same great mix work as above with outtakes. What's not to like here. :)

This is a really definitive edition for this.

just got my hands on this... but having to depart in an hour to Muscat for 2 days. Hopefully my vote will be there this coming weekend....

I voted 8. Overall, I am thrilled to have this set, but it's not perfect - definitely it's not a 10.

The studio album stereo remix is great: fidelity 10, music 10, mix 9.

The 5.1 remix of the studio album doesn't add much to the stereo mix.
There are moments in which I have the feeling nothing is coming out of the rear speakers, apart from reverb...
I'd say this is: fidelity 10, music 10, mix 4 (sorry, I wouldn't call this a 5.1 mix, it's wide stereo. In comparison, Guthrie's mixes are wild!).

The raw mixes, out-takes and the elements mixes are very enjoyable. I've also liked the documentary tracks and the interviews.
I suggest listening to these while reading the book, or after having completed the book.

I like the 5.1 raw mixes have been approached differently. What I don't like is:
- the bass (far too loud in the mix);
- the front right channel isn't doing much in several tracks;
- I have the feeling the overall result is a bit congested, even with the instruments placed in such a discrete way. It could be because of compression.
Score: fidelity 10, music 9, mixes 7.5.

The book is a nice addition to the box set, and it includes a good balance of technical details, photos and text. There are a few typos here and there, all forgivable.

So, as I said above, it's a strong 8 to me, and I'd recommend it to any fan of the album. It's a great box set, but don't buy it if you are only looking for a great surround mix. That's not the strength of this box.

EDIT: I can see this box set is currently averaging at 9.56, and it's up there in the surround ranking with the giants... I don't think box set should be that high (not for its surround merits).

Curious that they produced and included the 4.0 mix reformatted to 5.1 like this as an extra. If this was done for compatibility with media players that only work with either 2.0 or 5.1 (ie. not 4.0 or any other channel variation)... they could have just put the quad mix into a 5.1 format with digital zero C and Lfe channels. The noise reduction used on it went too far and subdues it beyond what Phil Spector's hand did. Just a superfluous waste of disc space. But the original is included untouched and the new 5.1 remixes are the best! There was a comment in the liner notes about "presenting a more modern mix" with that. I think it's the throwback to the '70s style quad mixes with the drums and bass in the rear that helps successfully put this in the period and pointedly does NOT make it sound like a modern remix! Maybe that was just a kind way to say "presented with the proper fidelity the recording should have always had to begin with"?

I've always just been a casual JL fan. This was great to hear not having the slightest expectation of anything. Least of all a bold remix with drums in the back of the room and all! Might have been more than a casual fan if his albums didn't all sound like they were playing from a couple rooms away. (Might have had something to do with the Yoko songs peppered every other song on some of those albums too I suppose.)

Back