HiRez Poll Lennon, John - PLASTIC ONO BAND [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of John Lennon - PLASTIC ONO BAND

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the classic album "Plastic Ono Band" by John Lennon.
The album has been expanded to a 6CD/2BD set that features the entire album and three singles remixed in 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also streaming on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
(Full track listing is in the pictures below.)
https://music.apple.com/us/album/john-lennon-plastic-ono-band-the-ultimate-mixes/1556019890
(y) :) (n)

91thR4dn6hL._SL1499_.jpg

91ztABPowfS._SL1500_.jpg

81XUKg0WnnL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic-Ono-002.jpg

The ONLY surround is t03 on Blu-ray 1 - the basic album plus 3 singles.

Everything else is stereo 24/192 and 24/48

The DTS HD 5.1 left me distinctly unimpressed.
The Atmos, played through 5.1 is somewhat better but not exactly awe inspiring.
Sound quality pretty good
Presentation nice.

I'm midway between seething and depressed. I might vote later.

This was posted on Hoffman:

dudley07726 said:
I’m having problems of freezing with the BR 1 disc on the surround portion. I can’t get past the first track. BR disc 2 states Stereo & DD. I don’t see any option option for Dolby Digital. Only stereo. Anyone else having problems? Never had this problem before with my Oppo 203.
Received a replacement box. Still have problems on BR 1 with freezing when trying to forward to the next track while trying to listen in surround mode. Will have more time next weekend to try everything. Good thing (for me) the remix is mostly stereo for the whole album so I won’t be missing much. First time I’ve ever had problems with any disc on the Oppo 203.

So I posted this:

I posted this last night and it speaks to a similar issue.

Update: (and this is probably an Oppo thing) On the menu it's only when I try to navigate from 192-24 Stereo to DTS that my player locks up and I have to reboot it to clear. I can only get to the DTS layer from first going from the 48-24 Stereo or Atmos layers. I've never experienced something like this before.

I don't think it's a hardware issue I think the disc was authored poorly.

After rising the volume on the two back speakers on my extracted flacs from this album i am actually feeling this album sounds very good.
Before i agree that it didn´t even feel like an surround mix as with the Gimme some thruth box.
There are discreet moments on this now even if they are nowhere near Steve Wilsons level but it sounds good.
As this is my favourite Lennon album i am very pleased to hear it in the best mix so far.
Even if the bonus material isn´t in surround i really like listening to it so i have now changed my vote to 9 as that is my feeling for this release now.
Of course i am now missing the Atmos effects and you should not need to do the kind of adjustments i have done.
But this is still my feeling of this album release now.

I have an Oppo UDP-205 and a 5.1 system, so two observations:

(i) I haven't had any problems with the BR1. I can skip between tracks and the two stereo and two surround mixes without any problem. My copy was made in the Czech Republic (I live in Oz, and ordered locally).

(ii) As with the recent "Gimme Some Truth" box set BR, the 5.1 mix here is underwhelming. Selecting the Atmos (7.1 mix) is far better and how it should sound in 5.1.

I voted 10. Before I start, I say, if you are not into lyrics and if you want a bombastic surround experience this is not for you. If you like the deep meaning of John's lyrics and are willing to experience what John and Yoko brought to the studio with very respectable sound quality, this 2021 release of the 1970 album should be a great experience for you. Disclaimer: I do not have software to anyalyze, etc, not my style to pick apart what others have done, I purchase, I listen, pretty simple. I do change levels on individual speakers almost daily depending on each recording I listen to.
Packaging: Stellar. A larger box set than Gimme Some Truth and Imagine. Very interesting writing and most importantly breaks down all the different mixes, the whys and hows. I love the enhanced picture compared to the muddy orginal. One thing I thought was a little weird, front cover. Page 44, 88 and 94 the book shows alternates, flipping John and Yoko at the tree, but no where else, like the two Blu Ray covers, both the same. The book is a must, a stand alone release would not do justice.
Six CD's: I did not listen. Finally a release where all the (CD material 125 songs) is on the (2 Blu Rays, 131 songs). A little extra on the Blu Rays. This usually does not happen, glad it did here for a better sonic experience.
Blu Ray #1: Atmos listen. Just right. The Atmos envelope was so enjoyable. I love the song "Remember" that piano just fills the entire room. Atmos surround is perfect for this music, very relaxing, I didn't need to wish for more or less. I believe the two stars of the Atmos mix are John's vocals and piano, then would be Ringo drums and Klaus bass. Guitar parts fit well in the mix.
My rip of the Atmos was a MKV Video file chapters, 24/48 and DR's of average 12.
Blu Ray #1 and #2: All the extras. Now this can be a hard listen as your listening to primarily the same 14 tracks over and over with different twists. But, this where you get to know John and Yoko, Klaus and Ringo. Really good to listen to the happiness, ups and downs of studio banter, how cool Yoko plays a big part. The jams and Yoko live sessions are great. A must is the Evolution mixes. My rip of the Blu Ray stereo versions all 24/192 with DR's range from 7's to 14's.
Closing: I love this release. John Lennon has always been big in my life. Watching Monday Night Football 1980 and hearing Howard Cosell make the announcement of his assination was crushing. All the material in this release brought John closer to me. Yoko, I never was a huge fan but this release brought me closer to her.
In the end, taking into consideration an orginal 1970 recording bringing it back to us in 2021 with all this material is quite a delight to hear the clear fidelity unmatched with an Atmos mix as a bonus.

Help keep polls pure. No shipping, off topic chatter, etc.

I voted 10. Before I start, I say, if you are not into lyrics and if you want a bombastic surround experience this is not for you. If you like the deep meaning of John's lyrics and are willing to experience what John and Yoko brought to the studio with very respectable sound quality, this 2021 release of the 1970 album should be a great experience for you. Disclaimer: I do not have software to anyalyze, etc, not my style to pick apart what others have done, I purchase, I listen, pretty simple. I do change levels on individual speakers almost daily depending on each recording I listen to.
Packaging: Stellar. A larger box set than Gimme Some Truth and Imagine. Very interesting writing and most importantly breaks down all the different mixes, the whys and hows. I love the enhanced picture compared to the muddy orginal. One thing I thought was a little weird, front cover. Page 44, 88 and 94 the book shows alternates, flipping John and Yoko at the tree, but no where else, like the two Blu Ray covers, both the same. The book is a must, a stand alone release would not do justice.
Six CD's: I did not listen. Finally a release where all the (CD material 125 songs) is on the (2 Blu Rays, 131 songs). A little extra on the Blu Rays. This usually does not happen, glad it did here for a better sonic experience.
Blu Ray #1: Atmos listen. Just right. The Atmos envelope was so enjoyable. I love the song "Remember" that piano just fills the entire room. Atmos surround is perfect for this music, very relaxing, I didn't need to wish for more or less. I believe the two stars of the Atmos mix are John's vocals and piano, then would be Ringo drums and Klaus bass. Guitar parts fit well in the mix.
My rip of the Atmos was a MKV Video file chapters, 24/48 and DR's of average 12.
Blu Ray #1 and #2: All the extras. Now this can be a hard listen as your listening to primarily the same 14 tracks over and over with different twists. But, this where you get to know John and Yoko, Klaus and Ringo. Really good to listen to the happiness, ups and downs of studio banter, how cool Yoko plays a big part. The jams and Yoko live sessions are great. A must is the Evolution mixes. My rip of the Blu Ray stereo versions all 24/192 with DR's range from 7's to 14's.
Closing: I love this release. John Lennon has always been big in my life. Watching Monday Night Football 1980 and hearing Howard Cosell make the announcement of his assination was crushing. All the material in this release brought John closer to me. Yoko, I never was a huge fan but this release brought me closer to her.
In the end, taking into consideration an orginal 1970 recording bringing it back to us in 2021 with all this material is quite a delight to hear the clear fidelity unmatched with an Atmos mix as a bonus.

Great review, very much in line with my feelings, so I don't have much to add here. My instinct is to vote a 9, simply due to the missed opportunity of not having the Raw etc. mixes in surround, but to be honest, I'm not sure how much that would have added. Otherwise, this box is one of the best purchases I have made recently, allowing me to take a deep dive into one of my favorite albums of all time.

Just like the 2 previous Lennon 5.1 releases this is so underwhelming... :-(
I think the releases themselves have been stunningly good. But the 5.1 mixes for the original studio material have been undewhelming.

Im surprised no one has started a compare/contrast thread comparing this new release to the original Phil Spector style sound this album was born with.

Yeah, I'm going with a 7. When you have to play the atmos mix to hear anything from the rears, and even then - not too much going on, then the rating has to reflect that. We all love the album of course, and the package is cool, but I think I'm questioning the idea of an album with only three instruments and a voice on most tracks being in 5.1 in the first place. Still, it could have been handled better.

100% Agree. This album redux is truly fantastic, and the surround effects are perfectly done for this release.

100% Agree. This album redux is truly fantastic, and the surround effects are perfectly done for this release.

I will also agree and state there is not much to add to @marpow 's commentary which is SPOT ON.

Content = 10 (loved all these discs, just so much here to take in and truly envelope you in the making of this album from initial stages to finished product.)

Fidelity = 10 (Technology gets better and better all the time, but will we really get another reissue of this that will sound any better? I'm 99% sure that this is the best we will ever hear Lennon's first solo album.)

Surround Mix = 10 (The Atmos totally opens the room up, and truly places you right in the midst of Lennon, Ringo, Voormann, Harrison, Clapton, Yoko, et. al. I felt as if I was right there for the final mixes and recordings, as if magically transported back to 1969. The dts I was not impressed with at all, had this only had the dts as it is mastered now, surround mix would've been a 3).

Average of content, fidelity and surround mix = 30/10 = 10 on the money.

Awesome overview, Markie!

Great music, I don't hear anything in the rear speakers, am I missing anything? 6 from me
I agree, the rear speakers are basically stereo with lower volume to my ears.

Great songs, amazing production, but the surround mix is simply not improving that much. Some nice moments here and there but mostly very conservative.

Back