Quad LP/Tape Poll Lennon, John/Plastic Ono Band: Imagine [SQ/Q8]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate "Imagine"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Apple's first Quad mix, and certainly, like Lennon's idea of 'stereo,' in and of itself unusual for a recording mixed from multitrack sources c. 1971, as those of you familiar with this one are well aware...:eek:;)

Side 1:

1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It's So Hard
5. I Don't Want To Be A Soldier

Side 2:

1. Gimme Some Truth
2. Oh My Love
3. How Do You Sleep?
4. How?
5. Oh Yoko!

Image lifted off the net, and I can only say, glad my copy doesn't look this ratty...:D

Attachments

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I gave it a higher mark more for content than mix. "Clear as mud" is a good way to describe the mix on this tape. This is the Mono All Around You king! If this were originally recorded on a 3 or 4 track machine, well then yeah, it'd be a good mix. I'm going to guess it was probably done on a 16 track machine, and there are more than two instruments in many of the songs. Definition? None.
Discrete? Hardly. Track 2 they seemed to get a little more with it and remembered they had 4 channels to play with. "How Do You Sleep" is probably the best out of all of them with vocals mixed more to the front, less to the rear, drums more to the rear, less to the front and believe it or not.... a few bits and peices mixed discretely to front and rear channels. There doesn't seem to be much ever going on from left to right. Just front to back.

A solid effort, but a missed opportunity. This was a big selling album, they should have payed more attention to the mix on the Quad Tape.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This Q8, be it the Green version or the Purple version, is very depressing. If you stretch your ears hard enough, you might pass a moment where you go "There! There it is! Hear that sound in the back?".

It's a waste, as far as I am concerned. The UK Q8 is a tiny bit better, but that too is a stretch. For real JL surround, pick up the DVD-Video Collection. Those are "real" surround mixes.

For surround: 0, For content: 3.5, for sonics: 1, my score: 5

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Overall a '4' here...yes, very disappointing, although "How Do You Sleep?" at least has some separation, which is more than can be said for the original 'stereo' Lp. The later stereo remix offered much more and less, sorta....

ED :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Q: which are the differences between USA and UK q8?

Quad Linda

Staff member
This is a GREAT album, but a lousy Quad! Anyone who thinks this is a great mix needs a new set of ears! I've owned the lime Q8, UK SQ, 2ch LP, Mofi Gold CD, UK CD and CD in the remastered 2010 Lennon Collection box. The recording has always sounded like mud, even in 2ch. The Quad mix is near non-existant. I bought this the first week I had my Akai CR-80DSS. I also bought Future Blues (yes, it exists), Best of Buddy Rich (UA), Bark, Worst of Airplane and Nilsson Schmillson. As much as I was wowed by Schmilsson, that's as disappointed as I was by this. They must have been in a seriously altered state to think this sounds good, fidelity and mix wise. It's John's second best solo album, eclipsed only by Plastic Ono Band. The Gimme Some Truth DVD-V was a far better surround mix.

Money for rope, money for dope.