Let's give a warm QQ welcome to Steve Genewick!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone. My name is Steve Genewick, and I mixed the RT 5.1, as well as a bunch of other 5.1 titles. Thanks so much for the kind words, it was a long time ago, but it's nice to know there are folks out there still enjoying the music. Another member here was kind enough to reach out and let me know about this forum. Thanks for doing that Jonathan!

Steve G

Thanks for stopping in, Steve!
I don't have the "Rumor and Sigh" DVDA (yet) cause it's pretty expensive nowadays, but I did manage to get a copy of the "Crowded House" dual disc, and I really do love the mix! It's too bad neither one of these titles were reissued again when Capitol was absorbed by Universal while they were releasing the High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc releases.

But anyway, nice job on the "Crowded House" 5.1 mix and thanks for stopping in here again! You're always welcome here!

:)

http://stevegenewick.com/

Steve did the 5.1 mixes for the Capitol "Rumor and Sigh" (Richard Thompson) DVD-A and the Capitol Crowded House DVD-A.

He stopped by the Rumor and Sigh Poll Thread, but this is a better place for questions and answers that do not pertain to the poll thread.

Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for posting and interacting. The last Capitol Engineer we had stop by here was Bob Vogien when he was doing the Quadio DVD discs for Rhino, back around 2010. Unfortunately, that program got canned after only 2 releases. Many more were planned at the time.

I copied a couple of Steve's posts from the R&S thread to this thread to get us started. Hopefully Steve will chime in for a bit.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ut-a-nice-qq-welcome-to-steve-genewick.25572/
Thanks for setting this up. I'm pretty busy in the studio, but I'll try and answer any questions I can. Please excuse any tardiness.

Steve G

It appears that Paul Mc Cartney is under contract with Capitol Records...have you worked with him in the studio...and if so...can you share any observations..
Sorry, I posted an answer in the other thread before I saw this one.

I've done a few projects with Paul over the years and he is absolutely the nicest person you could want to meet, and one of the easiest to work with.

Steve G

I think Bob Vosgien also did the mastering on the Crowded House DVD-A, which Steve mixed :)

We have him credited for 5 surround mixes on the "Notable MCH Engineers" thread. Not all have poll threads.

Chris Botti - Night Sessions (SACD)
Ray Charles - Tribute (DVD, SACD)

Al Green - Greatest Hits (DVDA)
Crowded House (DVDA)
Dave Koz - The Dance (DVDA)

Chris Botti and Ray Charles I was the asst eng to Al Schmitt. The others I mixed. There's a few more. I'll see if I can dig up the titles when I get a second.

Steve G

Thanks for setting this up. I'm pretty busy in the studio, but I'll try and answer any questions I can. Please excuse any tardiness.

Steve G

Steve,

No worries. This is just a passtime for us, you have a real job to do. You can post or read or whatever whenever you have time. Surround fans are very passionate and also appreciative of the work it takes to get things done. Please do not feel obligated to do anything here.

Again, thanks for stopping by.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for coming around! Could you please comment on how the seismic shifts in the music industry have affected your work? I am referring mostly to the digital revolution, and how that has impacted the sellability of music. Hopefully you still have plenty of work!

Also, what is the buzz in your circles about surround sound. I notice it has been many years since you have mixed a project. Have you listened to any recent surround mixes?

Thanks!

Steve, I just want to echo the sentiment that Crowded House and Rumour & Sigh are among my favorite surround mixes.
Great work! There are quite exciting surround titles releasing in this day and age, such as The Beatles, Electric Ladyland, and Hemispheres by Rush. Maybe some day soon you'll have the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring again!

Richard Thompson has a DVD "1000 Years of Popular Music" that there is not much info on: seems to be a concert (with Judith Owen!) but no mention is made of the sound. Do you know if it is surround?
No idea of the sound, but I saw one of those shows and strongly recommend it on those grounds.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve, it's great that you have accepted the invitation to join us on our musical, surround journey. ( Its our very own Magical Mystery Tour!! )

I expect we all have a 1001 questions for you!!

I will keep mine fairly straightforward....Do you have your own personal favourite albums? In any format. Whether that is mono, stereo or in our passion 'surround'.

I guess the burning questions for me are:
What is it like, working on a surround mix, as opposed to stereo, for you?
What are the differences in gear, tools and setup?
How did you come across the opportunities to mix in surround that you already have?
Would you go for it again?
Do you like mixing in surround? How about enjoying the results? More or less interesting than stereo?
I think that's about it, for now!

Last edited:
Richard Thompson has a DVD "1000 Years of Popular Music" that there is not much info on: seems to be a concert (with Judith Owen!) but no mention is made of the sound. Do you know if it is surround?

Apparently the dvd is DD 5.1(someone on qq posted this info btw) and I'm looking for a copy myself , just missed getting a used one a couple years back.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for coming around! Could you please comment on how the seismic shifts in the music industry have affected your work? I am referring mostly to the digital revolution, and how that has impacted the sellability of music. Hopefully you still have plenty of work!

Also, what is the buzz in your circles about surround sound. I notice it has been many years since you have mixed a project. Have you listened to any recent surround mixes?

Thanks!

The biggest change that I've noticed is in budgets. Even for the biggest artist, album budgets have shrunk to next to nothing. Good news is that someone has to record music.

The arrival of affordable, high quality, DAW's has allowed many producers, engineers & artist to move some if not most of their productions to home studios, so a lot of the big studios have taken a hit or simply closed down (not the case at Capitol, we're as busy as ever).

The buzz in my world on surround sound is huge, but it's not 5.1. I've spent a good part of the last year or so mixing music only in Dolby Atmos. No visuals, just music. None of what I've been doing is commercially available yet, but I'm hoping it will be soon. Dolby Atmos is surround taken to the next level. Hopefully, you'll all be able to experience it soon. The discussion about how it will be delivered and the playback options for the consumer are endless at this stage, and I don't think we need to get into that here. I'm sure there's already a discussion somewhere on this site.

Steve G

Steve, I just want to echo the sentiment that Crowded House and Rumour & Sigh are among my favorite surround mixes.
Great work! There are quite exciting surround titles releasing in this day and age, such as The Beatles, Electric Ladyland, and Hemispheres by Rush. Maybe some day soon you'll have the opportunity to throw your hat in the ring again!

See my reply to another post and you'll see my hat is very much in the immersive audio ring.

Steve G

Hi Steve, it's great that you have accepted the invitation to join us on our musical, surround journey. ( Its our very own Magical Mystery Tour!! )

I expect we all have a 1001 questions for you!!

I will keep mine fairly straightforward....Do you have your own personal favourite albums? In any format. Whether that is mono, stereo or in our passion 'surround'.

I think I'm an engineer today because of "Pepper". I think the mono version is the best, but I do enjoy them all. As someone once said, if you have a problem listening to "Pepper", you've got bigger issues to deal with.

I guess the burning questions for me are:
What is it like, working on a surround mix, as opposed to stereo, for you?

Surround, or immersive as we call it now days with Atmos, is so much easier to mix in than stereo (at least in my opinion). If I'm having trouble making something fit, I just move it somewhere else where it can live in it's own place. I use much less EQ and compression also. With all the space and dynamic range, you don't need as much.

What are the differences in gear, tools and setup?

At this point, all the immersive mixing I'm doing is all being mixed in Pro Tools, no analog gear at all. It's just easier that way.

How did you come across the opportunities to mix in surround that you already have?
Would you for it again?

We all get jobs in many ways. I'm still not sure how I get most of them, but working for a major studio and record label sure helps.

Do you like mixing in surround? How about enjoying the results? More or less interesting than stereo?

I love mixing in surround, or immersive. Way more fun than stereo!

I think that's about it, for now!

Back