Let's give a warm QQ welcome to Steve Genewick!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steve,

It has been suggested we not pepper you with too many questions. Do you have any questions you would like to ask the surround sound buying public that we could answer for you here?

Yes we can always quid pro quo , I'd be happy to respond to any of your queries , Steve.

Hey Steve,

It has been suggested we not pepper you with too many questions. Do you have any questions you would like to ask the surround sound buying public that we could answer for you here?

Feel free to pepper me with questions. I can't promise how quickly I'll get around to answering them, but I'm happy to answer at some point.

Hey Steve,

I've got a hypothetical question for you...it's not about you...but your profession....what advice would you give someone that is doing work on commercial releases and you are asked to do a surround release on a major title and you know the source material is in poor condition and the surround title is not going to turn out very well....and let's say that you have done some surround titles in the past...with mixed results....should you decline this job or take it and risk damaging your professional reputation...do you feel it's your responsibility to inform the record company of the poor condition of the source material and what they might expect...or take the job and get paid and hope for the best...

I realize that now you are in a fortunate situation and have a steady gig with Capitol...but I'm sure you had to work your way up the career ladder...so you might have faced this situation....

Chris Botti and Ray Charles I was the asst eng to Al Schmitt. The others I mixed. There's a few more. I'll see if I can dig up the titles when I get a second. Steve G

As noted elsewhere, we have you listed for 6 mixes, and note your caveat above. Your website lists the following artists for other 5.1 mixes. Can you specify which releases from them that you worked on? Here is the list:

Known to us:
Chris Botti - Night Sessions (SACD)
Ray Charles - Tribute (DVD, SACD)
Al Green - Greatest Hits (DVDA)
Crowded House (DVDA)
Dave Koz - The Dance (DVDA)
Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh (DVDA)

Also listed on your website:
Jackson Browne *
The Carpenters *
John Fogerty *
Delta Goodrem *
Al Jarreau*
Quincy Jones/Sammy Nestico*
Diana Krall*

Thanks for your help!

Hey Steve,

I've got a hypothetical question for you...it's not about you...but your profession....what advice would you give someone that is doing work on commercial releases and you are asked to do a surround release on a major title and you know the source material is in poor condition and the surround title is not going to turn out very well....and let's say that you have done some surround titles in the past...with mixed results....should you decline this job or take it and risk damaging your professional reputation...do you feel it's your responsibility to inform the record company of the poor condition of the source material and what they might expect...or take the job and get paid and hope for the best...

I realize that now you are in a fortunate situation and have a steady gig with Capitol...but I'm sure you had to work your way up the career ladder...so you might have faced this situation....

If I get a project where the source material is in poor condition, I would absolutely let the client know. If I don't think I can do a good job, then I would seriously consider not taking the job.

As noted elsewhere, we have you listed for 6 mixes, and note your caveat above. Your website lists the following artists for other 5.1 mixes. Can you specify which releases from them that you worked on? Here is the list:

Known to us:
Chris Botti - Night Sessions (SACD)
Ray Charles - Tribute (DVD, SACD)
Al Green - Greatest Hits (DVDA)
Crowded House (DVDA)
Dave Koz - The Dance (DVDA)
Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh (DVDA)

Also listed on your website:
Jackson Browne *
The Carpenters *
John Fogerty *
Delta Goodrem *
Al Jarreau*
Quincy Jones/Sammy Nestico*
Diana Krall*

Thanks for your help!

I did work on all these 5.1 releases, some as just the assistant engineer. As the main mixer I did all the the albums listed as known, as well as Delta Goodrem on the second list.

Wanted to say welcome Steve to the site as a posting member your knowledge and experience in the industry is invaluable. Hopefully the critique's of mixes and opinions of members here don't get too strong to run you off. I live and breath surround sound music, but with regret I've not heard any of yours and don't know your style or tendencies. I'm thinking of getting the Crowded House Dvd-A if possible to give your mixes a spin or would you recommend one you consider your best work to start with. (I'm sure they're all good, it's surround)

Wanted to say welcome Steve to the site as a posting member your knowledge and experience in the industry is invaluable. Hopefully the critique's of mixes and opinions of members here don't get too strong to run you off. I live and breath surround sound music, but with regret I've not heard any of yours and don't know your style or tendencies. I'm thinking of getting the Crowded House Dvd-A if possible to give your mixes a spin or would you recommend one you consider your best work to start with. (I'm sure they're all good, it's surround)

I think my favorites are Crowded House and Richard Thompson (of stuff that's been released). If I remember the Dave Koz album is pretty good too, but I am a bit biased.

Steve

I think my favorites are Crowded House and Richard Thompson (of stuff that's been released).

Steve

Hi Steve -

The Crowded House and Richard Thompson are two favorites of mine. I was wondering, were the artists involved in any way with the surround mixes? Did you get any feedback from any of them?

Hi Steve -

The Crowded House and Richard Thompson are two favorites of mine. I was wondering, were the artists involved in any way with the surround mixes? Did you get any feedback from any of them?

Both the Crowded House guys and Richard heard the mixes and signed off on them before they were released. Neither asked for any major changes.

Do you ever have the time, or find the time, to listen to multichannel mixes? Do you have a system with more than two speakers at your home? Your Crowded House mix is really nice...

I don't have a multichannel system at the house right now, but I have in the past. To be honest, I very rarely listen to music outside of the studio. It's one of the casualties of working on music, you have no desire to listen outside of work.

I don't have a multichannel system at the house right now, but I have in the past. To be honest, I very rarely listen to music outside of the studio. It's one of the casualties of working on music, you have no desire to listen outside of work.
Wow, that's too bad....but I guess that makes sense. :(

I totally understand this! I work with video technology, and as a result I watch very little TV.

It appears that Paul Mc Cartney is under contract with Capitol Records...have you worked with him in the studio...and if so...can you share any observations..

Sorry, just saw this post...

I have worked with Paul on a few projects. The biggest ones were the "Kisses On The Bottom" album and the "Live Kisses" broadcast and DVD. He is very easy to work with, and one of the nicest and most genuine people you could ever meet.

I've had the luck and pleasure to work with 3 of the 4 Beatles. All of them are/were fantastic.

I can't wait for all the Atmos mixing I've been doing to hit the streets

First let me wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season....without giving specific information(unless you want to:D)...is ANY of the Atmos mixing you have done or are doing just designed for Audio Only releases...not movie or screenplay related?

First let me wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season....without giving specific information(unless you want to:D)...is ANY of the Atmos mixing you have done or are doing just designed for Audio Only releases...not movie or screenplay related?

As of now, all of the Atmos mixing that I've been doing is for music only, not movies. I don't believe that there are plans for any of it to be released, but I can't imagine that it will never be released. For now, it's for demonstration purposes only.

If any of you will be at the NAMM show this January, I believe I will be doing demo playbacks in a room that Dolby and PMC will be setting up for us. Should be fun!

As of now, all of the Atmos mixing that I've been doing is for music only, not movies. I don't believe that there are plans for any of it to be released, but I can't imagine that it will never be released. For now, it's for demonstration purposes only.

If any of you will be at the NAMM show this January, I believe I will be doing demo playbacks in a room that Dolby and PMC will be setting up for us. Should be fun!

I wanted to revisit this topic now...there have been major announcements concerning ATMOS...we have a thread on the forum HERE...are you going to be involved with the mixing of some of these titles?...the concerns of many on here are if we aren't committed to having more than 5.1 or 7.1 systems can we benefit from this type of ATMOS mix?...

Back