Let's give a warm QQ welcome to Steve Genewick!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I am very involved in the Atmos mixing we are doing here and in our Nashville studios. We have 2 rooms on line now, and two more being built as we speak. I can't tell you how much fun it is to mix in this format.

As far as your question of how and if the Atmos format will be available to those with 7.1 and 5.1 systems, I don't have an answer. I can tell you that as of right now, 5.1 and 7.1 are not a consideration for us, we are fully committed to Atmos. There may be downmix options, but I don't have info about them. Sorry.

Steve G

Yes, I am very involved in the Atmos mixing we are doing here and in our Nashville studios. We have 2 rooms on line now, and two more being built as we speak. I can't tell you how much fun it is to mix in this format.

As far as your question of how and if the Atmos format will be available to those with 7.1 and 5.1 systems, I don't have an answer. I can tell you that as of right now, 5.1 and 7.1 are not a consideration for us, we are fully committed to Atmos. There may be downmix options, but I don't have info about them. Sorry.

Steve G

Thanks Steve...can you tell us what genre of music you are working on for the Atmos project(hoping it is rock :SG )..

the concerns of many on here are if we aren't committed to having more than 5.1 or 7.1 systems can we benefit from this type of ATMOS mix?...
Atmos is backwards compatible. It's important to keep in mind that Atmos in the home isn't being implemented as a new codec per se, but as extensions to Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus. If you're happy to stick with your current 5.1 / 7.1 setup, that's A-OK. If you happen to buy an Atmos Blu-ray, no harm done, your system will play the base Dolby TrueHD track and you’ll be none the wiser.
source: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/why-dolby-atmos-will-succeed

I'm about to upgrade from 7.2 to 5.2.4 Atmos -- can't wait to hear the difference!

You will never go back to good old 7.2!!
I have had mine for nearly a year now and the 360 degree surround sound is to die for. Although mine is 5.1.4!!
Younger brothers is 5.2.4, the extra sub sure makes a difference...grr. ;)
Sibling rivalry is alive and well in the King family.

I hope it's not too long before Steve can let us know what Universal/ Capitol have planned, for the much anticipated Atmos releases.

Last edited:
But you wont have the hight channels, and they add an awful lot when used properly.

Thanks Steve - love your 5.1 mixes!

I think this is an important point... To fully appreciate Atmos you really do have to hear it in Atmos!

There are a couple of albums that we have on the polls here that have been mixed in Atmos... Primarily thinking INXS, Kraftwerk and R.E.M... And hearing those height channels makes a big difference towards the listening experience... I think they sound great!

I appreciate it’s not always the easiest set up but when you can direct sound to sound so good I think it’s a brilliant medium!

Can’t wait to hear your new stuff!

I just hope it becomes accessible for all the people that really want to hear it... 😎

Thanks Steve - love your 5.1 mixes!

I think this is an important point... To fully appreciate Atmos you really do have to hear it in Atmos!

There are a couple of albums that we have on the polls here that have been mixed in Atmos... Primarily thinking INXS, Kraftwerk and R.E.M... And hearing those height channels makes a big difference towards the listening experience... I think they sound great!

I appreciate it’s not always the easiest set up but when you can direct sound to sound so good I think it’s a brilliant medium!

Can’t wait to hear your new stuff!

I just hope it becomes accessible for all the people that really want to hear it... 😎

CONGRATS to Master Smithers of the UK ...... who is now officially a member of the ATMOS GROUPIES!

See the source image

CONGRATS to Master Smithers of the UK ...... who is now officially a member of the ATMOS GROUPIES!

See the source image

Right on brother Ralph! Just like my fellow countryman Paul McCartney in his ‘Rupert The Bear’ phase - we all stand together! 😄

I’m not sure that song is on the hotlist for Atmos just yet?! Although I’m sure you could get some great frog effects coming from the extra channels?!

Atmos is a great vehicle for delivering our favourite surround medium, so I fully embrace it... We just need to get the music to the masses... Having heard some of Steve’s earlier work I really think we’re in for a treat!!! 😍

I have had mine for nearly a year now and the 360 degree surround sound is to die for. Although mine is 5.1.4!!

I hope it's not too long before Steve can let us know what Universal/ Capitol have planned, for the much anticipated Atmos releases.

while i'm hoping for lots of "new new" music in Atmos (stuff post Quad's 1977 rock & pop demise is always welcome!) i think there'll be a lot of Classic albums we've already had in some form of surround already.. and we have a rough idea of at least one direction Atmos Music will take; repurposing of things like Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue & Sketches From Spain, 3-channel sources reworked into Atmos.. and i wouldn't be at all surprised if at least some of the Atmos mix of Sgt. Pepper's made it into homes as part of this initiative at some point in some form. better put me crystal balls away now and get on with some work, bottom line i hope its a roaring success naturally but whatever happens, even if its a flop or never gets off the ground at all, i take my hat off to Dolby and Universal for even trying!

I don't even know what's coming, so we can all be surprised when it comes.

Since you are on the forum now...maybe you can clarify something....we viewed a video clip where you discussed Atmos....you seemed to indicate that the older recordings wouldn't be candidates for Atmos releases...due to the lack of source material...but some of those were 16 track recordings...I know the decision isn't yours to make...only to work on what they select....but in your opinion... could some of the 70's material make it's way on an Atmos release

Many of us are curious about the actual procedures involved in making these Atmos Mixes....when we read the recent headlines that proclaim that thousands of songs will be remixed in Atmos the first thought that comes to mind is how are they going to do that many mixes....if they use the conventional methods...like those used for surround titles.....it would take a lot of "mixers" a whole lot of time.....some suggest that there are going to be computer algorithms utilized by the engineer during the mix process....also they used the term "songs"....not albums...which seems to indicate a streaming or download platform as opposed to physical discs...I know you are busy...so whenever you get a chance please stop by again...your input means a LOT to us and on youtube you seem to have become the unofficial "spokesman" for Capitol (y)...and you are doing a fine job on the videos I have seen..

Not sure if your still cruising through Steve, just wondered what's going on in the industry. Your take on the fire destroying master tapes, being an insider you may know the real scope of the loss. As far as Atmos I'm more impressed so far with the mixing/separation in some of my recent movies over the 2 Giles releases (Kick, Abbey Road) that I own. Hope all is well with you.

Back