LG announces Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Guapo

Hi guys,
not sure if I'm the first to post this here, but this is really good news! :banana:

LG will present the first universal Blu-ray/HD-DVD next week at the CES!

See also this post in the highdefdigest forum.

I'm happy I waited a bit before plunging into one of the new formats! I had not dared to hope that a combo player would be available so soon.

Best regards,
Oliver

The "LG" brand does not equate quality in my book - at least at this point. I may be wrong.

Jon,

as far as I know you can find a lot of DVD drive units manufactured by LG in brand name players. They also have a good track record in building PC drives.

I don't know about the electronics around which is needed to get good quality audio and video signals out of this. But I trust that the drive itself will be a solid effort, and maybe they will license it in time to other manufacturers who are more experienced to build the better audio and video sections.

At least it gets the ball rolling with the universal players and I firmly expect the other manufacturers (except Sony ;) ) to follow suit. And at least it proves that it is possible! Personally, I'm hoping for a Denon Multiplayer...

Best regards,
Oliver

Last year Samsung announed a universal player too. It was never released due to licensing problems. We'll see about this attempt.

Last year Samsung announed a universal player too. It was never released due to licensing problems. We'll see about this attempt.
Since they announced just yesterday that they will present the player at the CES next week, I have to think that this is really happening.

Otherwise this announcement would have been a very stupid move... :mad:@:

Best regards,
Oliver

Since they announced just yesterday that they will present the player at the CES next week, I have to think that this is really happening.

It was reported on NPR this morning that LG has said it will list for $1,200. Philips is accusing LG of creating consumer confusion and NPR didn't help by referring to LG's move as a "third" HD format.

Seems to me that inserting a disc and having it play is anything but confusing, but I guess Philips knows something I don't. :confused:

Took the link to the HighDef forum and feel nearly whiplashed from raw technical (marketing) details hurled back and forth as part of the blatant HD-DVD and Blu-Ray faction wars over there.

Bottom line: This industry (perhaps Sony the most) deserve to have to contemplate a Dual Format HD disc player because they started this mess.

Dual format discs (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) seem unnecessary and expensive to produce. Consumer ambivalence remains; those of us who want quality will just wait for the combination player if not for one of the formats to dry up.

We just got a 1080P LCD and can wait; the networks look amazing and that thrill will last a while. The upconvert Denon DVD player will be here next week and that will carry us for a good while. We'll goose the DISH Network to HD in a few months and that will carry us along.

So the format-kingmakers have time to come to their senses and then we'll buy into a High Def disc format. UNLESS something better comes along and renders them meaningless. Wouldn't that be too bad?

Last edited:
There's already a few knocks against the LG player:

1-expensive $1200 US

2-Hdmi 1.2 only

3- you cannot play the new interactive features on HD discs - only play these on bluray discs..

4-no hires audio support..

I currently have 3 players plus a PC in my rack, I was really hoping to see a good universal coming and one that would play both hires formats over HDMI..

Unfortunately the LG player is out..

I think if someone did an HD player with both SACD and DVD-A, I would get one no matter the cost, be it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

The Panasonic is close (Blu-Ray/DVD-A), if only it did SACD.

I think if someone did an HD player with both SACD and DVD-A, I would get one no matter the cost, be it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

The Panasonic is close (Blu-Ray/DVD-A), if only it did SACD.

agree..

I would even be content if an HD player would do DVD-A and upscale standard DVD to 1080P..

get an inexpensive PS3 to cover both Blu-ray and SACD..

These 2 would replace the current 3 players and cover all formats..and all HD titles from all studios..

True, the LG (heard $900-$1200) is costly but not out of the question as that is the price echelon at this time. True, the HD-DVD interface aspects are after the fact (too late in development cycle they say) but if it starts the flood of better machines for less money and more formats covered, let's rock. If I understand correctly not being HDMI 1.3 it won't pass the highest 7.1 audio streams? It will pass 1080P okay, right?

In terms of CES announcments, it does seem like Blu-Ray could be pulling ahead, I dunno. No preference other than Microsoft taking it on the chin!

Prediction: My Denon DVD-1930Ci player arriving tomorrow, will be displaced by some type of a combination player or winner format in Summer 2008. My SACD & DVD-A changers will stay in service in another system anyway.

If I understand correctly not being HDMI 1.3 it won't pass the highest 7.1 audio streams? It will pass 1080P okay, right?

Yes to passing 1080P..

Presently (most) players will decode the new 7.1 audio formats inside the player and will send out the decoded stream as LPCM and this can be done with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2...

1.3 is required if you want the undecoded stream to be decoded in your new receiver..

So 1.3 is NOT mandatory but I'm holding out for it as it is a standard and want everything to be compatible at 1.3..

Back