LG OLED - To Protection Plan or Not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to spring for a new LG OLED 77C1PUB 4K TV and I’m wondering if I should spend the money for a protection plan.

What say you, fellow QQers that own an LG OLED?

Can't remember if I sprung for the protection plan, but my LG OLED 3D Curved TV has been operating flawlessly since 2016 and with this pandemic has seen a GREAT MANY hours of service!

As with all electronic devices, if the plan isn't outrageously expensive....I'd say go for it, KID! Back in 2016 those OLED TVs were outrageously pricey and since those prices have drastically come down ..... why not, indeed?

I don’t have a LG OLED TV, but my philosophy has been to get the protection plan if the TV costs above a certain price and will be expensive to repair. For example, I didn’t bother with a plan on the 49” Sony that I bought on-sale for about $400 to $450.

If the extra cost isn't silly, I'd go for it. Always best to have some extra insurance in place.

Having said that, I've never purchased any extra warranty protection for any of the TV's (all Sony's) I've had. I've given the oldies away and they're all still going strong too, some for over 16 years!

I always get the extra warranty for computers though. Flippin' unreliable boxes tend to last less than 4 years these days.

In the UK we have Richer Sounds who offer free 6 year warranties on TVs, and 5 year guarantees for 10% of the selling price for everything else, and give you your guarantee money back if you claim it at the end of the period. So my Sony OLED came with a 6 year warranty as I got it from Richer Sounds. I would have taken one out as it was circa £2000 if it hadn't, as with a TV the screen is everything.

In general I don't think they're worth it, but I do for expensive or equipment with a lot of moving parts, I did for my Denon UDP which became irreparable after 4yrs & 9mnths and I got the £350 cost back which I put towards my Oppo 203, but the guarantee was only £35 for 5 years for the Denon - again from Richer Sounds.

Do you have any Hi-fi/TV chains like that in the USA?

This is an interesting subject.

I think I've been blessed. I never buy them for electronics. IMO if the component works through the first few months of use, when it is covered by warranty anyway, Its likely to be problem free through its life. I've had items that were DOA, but that's just a merchant return. I've had gear that needed warranty work, but it was always in warranty. Hell, the B&K gear that I used to love (I still run a B&K 5 channel amp on my mains), the factory was in Buffalo. It was a matter of pride there that if a local had a problem, the repair was always free. I cant think of one single time where a purchased extended warranty would have paid off for electronic equipment. Back in the day, tape based video cameras gave me problems after the factory warranty expired, but the dealer I bought them from included a free lifetime warranty when I bought them.

If I am buying a gift for someone else, I do buy them. I just dont want them having issues. No one that I have ever bought for have used a warranty.

I have bought them for major appliances. The appliance life always surpassed the extension.

I've probably just jinxed myself for 10 years....

In the UK we have Richer Sounds who offer free 6 year warranties on TVs, and 5 year guarantees for 10% of the selling price for everything else, and give you your guarantee money back if you claim it at the end of the period. So my Sony OLED came with a 6 year warranty as I got it from Richer Sounds. I would have taken one out as it was circa £2000 if it hadn't, as with a TV the screen is everything.

In general I don't think they're worth it, but I do for expensive or equipment with a lot of moving parts, I did for my Denon UDP which became irreparable after 4yrs & 9mnths and I got the £350 cost back which I put towards my Oppo 203, but the guarantee was only £35 for 5 years for the Denon - again from Richer Sounds.

6 years is awesome! In NZ, you get 1 year, after which they'll probably argue with you that it was your fault you stupid dum-dum even though NZ's Commerce Commission states that something like a TV should last for years. I guess if you get the extra warranty, then it might avoid an argument at the counter!

FREE 6 year warranties on TVs in the U.S. Are you kidding, Dunc? Usually 1 year warranties at most and the protection plans usually extend it 1 to 3 years, IF LUCKY.

And from what I've read from other QQ Posters over the years, 'reliable' service is a major problem on a LOT of components, most especially flat screen TVs......once they go ..... getting them properly serviced can be a veritable nightmare!

Part of the reason I bought my TV at Costco (Sony X900H) was that they offer a 5-year extended warranty for $99 - I'm in Canada, but I believe they offer a similar deal in the US.

I don't think I've bought an extended warranty on electronics aside from this one (as I think they're a bit of a scam for the most part as AV gear is pretty robust and/or cheap enough to replace at EOL) but the number of posts on various forums about flat screen TV's either failing completely or developing display issues (dead pixels, banding, brightness irregularity, etc.) that it seemed like a worthwhile bet.

I'm sure buying a lottery ticket has a much smaller chance of paying out than a warranty like this, and the other upside is that as you get into the final year or two of the extended warranty the possible "payout" for failure goes up, because if they can't source replacement parts (which is very likely 5 years on) they'll replace it with a current model with equivalent specs.

Can't remember if I sprung for the protection plan, but my LG OLED 3D Curved TV has been operating flawlessly since 2016 and with this pandemic has seen a GREAT MANY hours of service!

As with all electronic devices, if the plan isn't outrageously expensive....I'd say go for it, KID! Back in 2016 those OLED TVs were outrageously pricey and since those prices have drastically come down ..... why not, indeed?
Same. And the 2016 model didn't handle burn-in nearly as well as newer models. Don't bother.

I generally thought that extended warranties were a scam. A notion reinforced when I bought a Windows Millenium Edition computer and the salesman said his boss didn't want him to sell it to me without the extended warranty. I said I guess we are done then and he finally sold it to me without the warranty.

In the past these things had extra spiffs for the salesman and were very high margin and I never took them on anything.

But now stuff seems to me to be less reliable. I bought a Samsung smart teewee at Best Buy probably ten years ago and got a five year warranty on it. It sneezed a few times but rebooting always fixed it. But it was like a $1300 44 inch teewee and it still is mostly going strong.

I bought my Mrs. a new laptop and took the extended warranty and concierge service from Costco who are excellent about returns and support.

I would take the warranty extention. Repairs are likely to be difficult and possibly expensive these days. I don't know whether or not that is excellent advice.

Thanks for the great input, guys. I didn’t realize it, but the Amazon seller I’m buying the TV from includes a 2 year protection plan with the purchase, so I should be good to go!

Another great reason why this online community is the best there is: the QQ brethren won’t steer you wrong!

I paid for a TV warranty once many years ago and never used it. If you get stuck with a lemon you'll probably know in the first year and it will be covered by the manufacturer. I figure it's a very small gamble to pass on extended warranties.

By the way, I went with a 65" LG C1 OLED not long ago and love it. Even with the reduction in size, coming from a good DLP projector with a 92" screen, I much prefer the LG. The picture is spectacular.

I won't be much help. I used to buy Square Trade warranties. At times, they came in handy, other times, I paid and the equipment never failed. I did buy one for my current Denon. It's been flawless as well.

About to spring for a new LG OLED 77C1PUB 4K TV and I’m wondering if I should spend the money for a protection plan.

What say you, fellow QQers that own an LG OLED?
I just bought that exact model and size 2 weeks ago. It is a phenomenal picture, especially if your room is on the darker side. You will live it.

As others have mentioned, bought mine at Costco and got the extra warranty for free, bringing it to 5 years.

I bought one for my B6. One year before it expired I had an issue with the wireless internet function. The repair was unproductive so I was given a brand new C1. And I sold the B6 to pay for another warranty and atmos speakers. A happy tale.

I just bought that exact model and size 2 weeks ago. It is a phenomenal picture, especially if your room is on the darker side. You will live it.

As others have mentioned, bought mine at Costco and got the extra warranty for free, bringing it to 5 years.
Good to hear you're happy with your 77C1PUB and since my room is in a windowless basement room that can go pitch black, it should really rock!

Back