Licensing costs to use DTS 96/24

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I saw in the Muse MC DVD thread that they'd lose money for only a 2000 copy run-is it really that ridiculously expensive?

Let's say that there's an independent group that wants to release their next 12 song CD in DTS 96/24 Resolution Surround along with the stereo version (in a separate disc) in a 2000(each) copy run.

Does anybody know the ballpark figure for this?

Who do you have to pay it to?

I wonder how much the "Ringo 5.1" or Porcupine Tree/SW releases cost those folks for the extra disc.

I have produced professional CD's with a low budget. It's was about a dollar a disc or so with professional packaging, depending what else you need the duplicators to do for a 1000 discs. It gets much cheaper per disc (or even Comic Book) depending on the amount produced. The price of DVD replication has gone down as well. I don't know anything about DTS royalties, but even if you need to pay one it should not be cost prohibitive for CD / DVD. Here are 2 examples of replication prices – from a company I’ve not dealt with, but it gives you somewhat an idea what it costs for the discs. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this, it’s an important question.

SF Video CD replication
http://www.sfvideo.com/cd-replication/

SF Video DVD replication
http://www.sfvideo.com/dvd-replication/

Heck, according to this company they can do just the discs with printing on them, both CD and DVD together for about $1,100, not including packaging.

I have produced professional CD's with a low budget. It's was about a dollar a disc or so with professional packaging, depending what else you need the duplicators to do for a 1000 discs. It gets much cheaper per disc (or even Comic Book) depending on the amount produced. The price of DVD replication has gone down as well. I don't know anything about DTS royalties, but even if you need to pay one it should not be cost prohibitive for CD / DVD. Here are 2 examples of replication prices – from a company I’ve not dealt with, but it gives you somewhat an idea what it costs for the discs. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this, it’s an important question.

SF Video CD replication
http://www.sfvideo.com/cd-replication/

SF Video DVD replication
http://www.sfvideo.com/dvd-replication/

Heck, according to this company they can do just the discs with printing on them, both CD and DVD together for about $1,100, not including packaging.

Thanks , OldQuadGuy-your input is always helpful :=) - I thought they were cheap, but not that cheap!

There are absolutely no royalties at all with DTS streams.
If you own a legally licensed encoder, you can register as a content provider with DTS Online, and enter your release details for their online catalogue too.
Or at least - this is planned. It used to work, but when DTS Ents got shut down by the bean counters the database went AWOL too.
I lost over 15 titles from it, and need to go re-register them all.

Anyway, there are no royalties at all for this.
To use DTS 9624 you must author to a DVD-Video title set. DVD replication is not that dear - but be sure to use a good replicator or you may get more returns than bargained for, especially with DVD9. Replicating CD/DVD is actually cheaper than DualDisc by quite a margin.

There are absolutely no royalties at all with DTS streams.
If you own a legally licensed encoder, you can register as a content provider with DTS Online, and enter your release details for their online catalogue too.
Or at least - this is planned. It used to work, but when DTS Ents got shut down by the bean counters the database went AWOL too.
I lost over 15 titles from it, and need to go re-register them all.

Anyway, there are no royalties at all for this.
To use DTS 9624 you must author to a DVD-Video title set. DVD replication is not that dear - but be sure to use a good replicator or you may get more returns than bargained for, especially with DVD9. Replicating CD/DVD is actually cheaper than DualDisc by quite a margin.

Cheers, Neil!
Great info to know...

Back