Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I Still Have PTSD...

Sorry for your family’s loss, Mike. I remember seeing your father-in-law in one of your LiS videos and he seemed like a nice guy.

I think you’re on the right path. Stay strong and hang in there. The coronavirus situation is mentally taxing for all of us, much less someone dealing with PTSD. Music is the best balm I’ve found for dealing with life’s ills, so keep crankin’ the jams!

Sorry for your family’s loss, Mike. I remember seeing your father-in-law in one of your LiS videos and he seemed like a nice guy.

I think you’re on the right path. Stay strong and hang in there. The coronavirus situation is mentally taxing for all of us, much less someone dealing with PTSD. Music is the best balm I’ve found for dealing with life’s ills, so keep crankin’ the jams!
That was my stepfather and he's doing ok. I plan to indulge in a lot of music today!

So, I Still Have PTSD...

hiya Mike, thanks for the video, even though a hard watch at times.. you're such a great guy.. i heartily recommend the cathartic healing power and sheer therapy of using Audacity to do music stuff at home. yeah its a bit of DIY amateur fluff but it works.. truth be told Audacity and stacks of old Quads got me through a pretty bleak period where i nearly lost my partner to multiple addiction problems twice in the space of a couple of years. you will get through this, your surround buddies here for you mate, big bear hugs grrrr!! 😘 🤗

Coming soon, conversations with Clement!
FB_IMG_1588536936664.jpg

Jeff Beck ~ Blow By Blow Quad
Review + Sony vs. AP SACD Shootout!

@Clement @sjcorne @Guitmark

Now that was a lot of fun - two knowledgeable guys who are really into it discussing and comparing the surround versions of one of my favorite albums of all time!

I have the 7" Sony Japan SACD and love it. Although I've always slightly bumped the bottom end on my system when listening to it, I thought it sounded great. I've since heard FLACs for the phased corrected version and agree it really adds oomph to the overall bass sound. So thanks guys - looks like I'll be spending more money on the Analogue Productions version. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next month as I blew this month's budget on the deluxe Porcupine Tree In Absentia and an In Absentia T-shirt from Burning Shed!!!

I agree with Clement regarding Jeff's guitar supremacy approaching Jimi's and Blow By Blow is, IMO, Jeff's masterpiece. I'm also glad that you guys made mention of Richard Bailey's superlative drumming on the album. It's ridiculously good. And Clement - thanks for sorta mentioning me regarding the Cobham comparison - here's what I said back in 2017:

Not sure how Beck chose Phil Chenn and Richard Bailey as the rhythm section, but WOW! Phil's bass work and sound is outstanding throughout, but it's Mr. Bailey that seems to be the real beneficiary of the improved sonics at play here. Every drum in his kit sounds absolutely real and present. Richards playing and technique are superlative throughout - making the fact that he was only 18 years old at the time of the recording even more amazing! I'll never understand how a guy that young could already rival the unrivaled Billy Cobham, but I'm just glad this performance was captured for posterity's sake!

Mike, great job on the interview with Bruce. Maybe you could reach out to Robert Reed or Neil Wilkes in they future :p
I'm certainly game to keep doing interviews and incorporate insights from industry folks in various ways.

One thing that will help rope in bigger names, is if the channel grows. Subscriptions, likes and comments all help in that regard [hint, hint] 😉

These are fun times. I look forward to seeing where this kind of thing can go!

Back