Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try at least one. If there are albums that are known to do cool things through IA or SQ upmixing, please let me know!
I highly recommend using the Involve mode 4.0 (QS) for standard CD (stereo) type decoding instead of SQ!

In most circumstances I'd say QS is more discrete sounding than SQ IMO.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Streaming Atmos

I'm a huge Metallica Fan but was never so much a Megadeath fan, (even though Dave Mustaine grew up 15 miles from me when we were kids (nope, never met him).

I never heard this album in it's entirety and yeah, it rocks, but I just wanted to comment on the feature you pointed out in your video about how apple music is now able to display who's playing lead guitar. That's a really cool feature and from what I've read, it's the band (or studio), (not an apple algorithm interpreting the music) who supplies this information so you know it's legit.

Last edited:
Hi @edisonbaggins , have you checked the streaming Atmos version of Gojira's Fortitude?
I would like to hear/read your opinion.
I listened to it on Tidal and I found it a bit weird.
It may be my system but Megadeth's RiP sounds crushing using the same chain.
Since Fortitude is my favourite 2021 metal album my Atoms mix expectations may have been too high...

Hi @edisonbaggins , have you checked the streaming Atmos version of Gojira's Fortitude?
I would like to hear/read your opinion.
I listened to it on Tidal and I found it a bit weird.
It may be my system but Megadeth's RiP sounds crushing using the same chain.
Since Fortitude is my favourite 2021 metal album my Atoms mix expectations may have been too high...

I don't listen to much hard core metal to be an expert on the matter, but I think that the general summation from past post on this Album was that the mix was a bit ho-hum, mediocre at best. Tidal however is renowned for much lower volume of ATMOS releases so you would certainly have to crank it up quite a bit to extract most enjoyment- more than usual listening levels on your receiver.

The Hip - Road Apples

I heard of this band but can't say I ever remember hearing a song by them. After watching this, and sampling the songs from this album on YT, you sold me to at least pick up the cd. Just ordered. I'd have to be pretty wowed after a few listens to want to spring for the $100 version but for $13 I will check them oot.

Marillion ~ An Hour Before It's Dark

This one gets personal...

great review!! thank you 🤗

tbh i wasn't going to pick this one up because i've found these Marillion 5.1's inconsistent but i will buy the standalone BD of the new one now for sure, thanks to you 👍

condolences for the loss of your Uncle and kudos to your other relative working hard in ICU. i feel the numerous long-term effects of covid and the pandemic will be with us for the rest of our lives and unfortunately will have an impact on our kids' generation and probably beyond that.

love "Afterlife", watched all 3 series and since losing my brother-in-law to cancer this week (38, never used drugs or drink, never smoked, succumbed to a rare stomach cancer which spread v.rapidly, he died within a month of diagnosis) i'll watch the series all over again because i just know it will take on another poignancy now.

all the best to you and yours Mike and thank you for everything you do.

Back