Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
What is kind of funny , is that at least a year ago I was going to start at my shelf and listen to everything I have in alphabetical order and vote on it . I might have made it to Bowie's Heathen. It is hard to just sit down and listen to music you feel you should. You have to be in the right mood to listen to something. If you are not in the right place and mind your views of the music will be distorted.

I know that feeling. I'll have to see how that goes. I think one thing that will help is that I won't be going in alphabetical order, but more randomly than that.
Plenty of room for playing what the mood requires along the way. I hope so, anyway! Any title that I'm just dreading to listen to should probably go straight to eBay anyhow.

What is kind of funny , is that at least a year ago I was going to start at my shelf and listen to everything I have in alphabetical order and vote on it . I might have made it to Bowie's Heathen. It is hard to just sit down and listen to music you feel you should. You have to be in the right mood to listen to something. If you are not in the right place and mind your views of the music will be distorted.
Alcohol and drugs can help with that. :smokin

There is certain music that I just have to be in the right frame of mind to hear..Like Pink Floyd....and then there is some music I could listen to any time..like Seal or James Taylor...Bob Marley...the one's with intense memories are the hard one's for me to listen to ...like some of the Fleetwood Mac albums...depends on the experiences(memories) associated with the song..

I get being in the mood (or not) for certain music. On my adventure to review a bunch of surround albums on YouTube, I will try not to force any apathy for or burnout toward the music.
That would be counter-productive.
It is a goal of this endeavor, however, to visit each title in my collection. The reason is, I find it a little sad that titles often get listened to once or maybe a few times, then never again.
I no longer want to be a "collector" of surround albums, other than ones that are truly magical to me. The rest, I want to enjoy one last time, then send on to a new home. I think that is best for my household and the hobby too.
I'm moving toward a model of "renting" surround albums for a time, rather than keeping most of them. We'll see how that actually pans out, but that is the intention. I think it will be fun to decide on camera whether a title stays or goes.

The problem for me as far as renting and not collecting is that I will find myself in a mood for The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu. I like the surround and go back to it, but that is a prime example of the RIGHT mood. It needs to be cranked and you have to be feeling it. I have discs like Idlewild South that I can go to almost anytime. It is always for me about how I feel and how LOUD can I play it. I enjoy the Black Album but not as much if I can't shake my house. I still remember the first day I moved in, I had The Breeders song Cannonball playing. My next door neighbor was banging on my window. I turned the stereo down and went outside. She was about 150 years old. I said hello I just moved in. Her reply was You Are Shaking My Entire House. I made several modifications to my listening area before I found Surround. Now the neighbors don't care but my wife does.

Mike, you can tweet Dave Gilmour [for me and I'm certain other QQers] that we'd love to have On An Island in Lossless BD~A 5.1.

LOVE that ALBUM!
I will certainly do what I can! Appealing to labels and independent artists for more surround content will definitely be a recurring theme on the channel. :SG

So, for my next video, I'm considering doing a "Top 10 Original Surround Releases of the Last Few Years (No Reissues)" type of thing. (Later on I'm happy to do the top reissues, but I'd like to raise awareness for original releases, because they are relatively scarce.)

One concern I have is that I haven't heard a few of these albums for myself yet. I guess I could pass on quick comments from other QQers, or something like.
Or just focus on the fact that they've been released and review them musically and sonically later.
Thoughts?

Or top 15. Here is my starting point for a top 15:

Beyonce - S/T Visual Album
Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
Mike Oldfield – Return to Ommadawn (CD+DVD-V [dts 48/24]) 1/20
Steve Hackett – The Night Siren (CD+BD-V) 3/24
JMK – JMK (BD-V) 4/25
Magenta – We Are Legend (CD+DVD-V [dts 24/44.1 / FLAC) 4/27
Anathema – The Optimist (BD-A / CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 6/9
Steven Wilson – To The Bone (BD / SP+2CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]+BD-V) 8/18
The Pineapple Thief – Where We Stood (CD+DVD-V / BD-V / 2CD+DVD-V+BD-V) 10/6 incl. Your Wilderness & 8 Years Later 5.1 mixes
Ian Cooke – The Flight I Flew (CD+DVD-V / FLAC) 10/20 edition of 500
Booka Shade – Galvany Street (2CD+4LP+BD-A [Dolby Atmos]) 10/27 (limited to 300 pcs)
Evanescence – Synthesis (CD+DVD [DD]) 11/10
Sanctuary (Robert Reed) – III (2CD+DVD) 4/20
Styx – The Mission (CD+BD-V) 7/27
Alain Mallet - Mutt Slang (DTS CD)

Each album would have artwork displayed (if I can find it in reasonable quality - or maybe someone can up scans for me) while it is being discussed.

What are your Top 15? I think we can go back to 2014 for this.

Also, let me know if you have ideas for other compelling topics. Thanks.

So, for my next video, I'm considering doing a "Top 10 Original Surround Releases of the Last Few Years (No Reissues)" type of thing. (Later on I'm happy to do the top reissues, but I'd like to raise awareness for original releases, because they are relatively scarce.)

One concern I have is that I haven't heard a few of these albums for myself yet. I guess I could pass on quick comments from other QQers, or something like.
Or just focus on the fact that they've been released and review them musically and sonically later.
Thoughts?

Or top 15. Here is my starting point for a top 15:

Beyonce - S/T Visual Album
Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
Mike Oldfield – Return to Ommadawn (CD+DVD-V [dts 48/24]) 1/20
Steve Hackett – The Night Siren (CD+BD-V) 3/24
JMK – JMK (BD-V) 4/25
Magenta – We Are Legend (CD+DVD-V [dts 24/44.1 / FLAC) 4/27
Anathema – The Optimist (BD-A / CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 6/9
Steven Wilson – To The Bone (BD / SP+2CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]+BD-V) 8/18
The Pineapple Thief – Where We Stood (CD+DVD-V / BD-V / 2CD+DVD-V+BD-V) 10/6 incl. Your Wilderness & 8 Years Later 5.1 mixes
Ian Cooke – The Flight I Flew (CD+DVD-V / FLAC) 10/20 edition of 500
Booka Shade – Galvany Street (2CD+4LP+BD-A [Dolby Atmos]) 10/27 (limited to 300 pcs)
Evanescence – Synthesis (CD+DVD [DD]) 11/10
Sanctuary (Robert Reed) – III (2CD+DVD) 4/20
Styx – The Mission (CD+BD-V) 7/27
Alain Mallet - Mutt Slang (DTS CD)

Each album would have artwork displayed (if I can find it in reasonable quality - or maybe someone can up scans for me) while it is being discussed.

What are your Top 15? I think we can go back to 2014 for this.

Also, let me know if you have ideas for other compelling topics. Thanks.

Erm David Gilmore - Rattle That Lock? Quite a tough one!

I'd be interested to know the process behind making a multichannel album. How to decide on where to place instruments in the mixing etc etc. What the costs are compared to making just stereo. How do you go about doing a reissue.... You might be able to give us some insider knowledge Baggy?! And may make for a good video?

Erm David Gilmore - Rattle That Lock? Quite a tough one!

I'd be interested to know the process behind making a multichannel album. How to decide on where to place instruments in the mixing etc etc. What the costs are compared to making just stereo. How do you go about doing a reissue.... You might be able to give us some insider knowledge Baggy?! And may make for a good video?
RtL is a really good suggestion.

Regarding the making of a multichannel album, an interview has been shot about the making of Disturbing the Universe. It's just unclear when the film maker will have time for post production. I'm trying to work that out with him.

Steven Wilson Surround Album Primer pt. 2
Blackfield Live in NYC 2007 - Grace for Drowning
Again, please forgive the sound quality, as it could be better, but I'm using the best camera and mic available to me, in the best space available. I edit out lots of noises and interruptions and re-record lots of lines to try to maximize quality. I'm getting good practice and building skills though (and managing to keep my sanity, hopefully). So, bear with me. The channel will be upped greatly in November, but hopefully these videos are plenty enjoyable now.
If you're so inclined, please remember to like, comment, subscribe, share or whatever you feel like on the YouTube channel. Every interaction helps.

Last edited:
Back