Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPERATION: Quad Station

Interesting about the speaker placement for quad.

Wendy Carlos -
Digression I -- Classic Blunders to Avoid
The Worst Quadraphonic Setup -- 4 Channels

Attachments

• a)srndsm.jpg
    a)srndsm.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 212
Consolidated my quads in to the quad room.
There's room for 30 more CD-sized titles.
(Bottom 3 rows are 5.1).
View attachment 45164
Hey, I just love the term “Quad room”, just remember to always capitalize, parenthesize, put in bold, underline and highlight - if you’ve got it “Quad”

I honestly thought I had a bit more quad than this, but it's good to know where I really stand!
I'm sure D-V will keep swelling my collection for some time to come. We might fill up that rack yet!
Of course, the 7 inchers and digipaks don't fit on there. So I'm guessing I have around 70 quads?

Mike, here's a crazy notion but it's based in science/reality.

Instead of placing your sub where you think it should go for you in the center sweet spot, do the opposite.

Place the sub in the center sweet spot and then you move around the room (walk the perimeter with a well know tune playing or better yet just a static sub reference file) and stop at where the sub sounds best. This is where you should place the sub. The same goes for all the speakers, ie getting that "angle" or "toe in" correct, IOW you use your ears as room acoustic measurements/corrections instead of a processor.

Last edited:
Consolidated my quads in to the quad room.
There's room for 30 more CD-sized titles.
(Bottom 3 rows are 5.1).

Hate to be that guy, but Audio Fidelity’s SACDs of America’s Homecoming, George Benson’s Breezin’, Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills’ Super Session, BS&T’s Child Is Father To The Man, and Grover Washington Jr.’s Winelight feature 5.1 remixes rather than quad.

Good eye. The last 30 titles are 5.1.

Herbie Hancock’s Head Hunters SACD uses the original quad mix with derived center/sub channels.

Hate to be that guy, but Audio Fidelity’s SACDs of America’s Homecoming, George Benson’s Breezin’, Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills’ Super Session, BS&T’s Child Is Father To The Man, and Grover Washington Jr.’s Winelight feature 5.1 remixes rather than quad.

that's what I thought

R-7040088-1459357022-8953.jpeg.jpg

Herbie Hancock’s Head Hunters SACD uses the original quad mix with derived center/sub channels.
No worries, my man.

This morning was a wash on the quad front. Several titles, sadly got moved to the 5.1 section, but I remembered the quad mixes in the Give Me Strength and Imagine sets! Plus, Head Hunters, I think we're holding even!

Back