Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, just an update on the T-shirts. There are 4 different shirts available at my eBay store:

White w/ gold logo
Black w/ gold logo
Green w/ "woodcut" logo
Blue w/ "woodcut" logo

These are not going to make me rich, but can help the LiS channel, a few bucks at a time. They are mostly for your fun.

Please let me know if you have any problems with ordering. I've been steadily working out bugs in the process and unexpected ones might still pop up.
And please don't use the pirated listing from China. Thanks!

Take a photo sometime in your shirt and share it with us!

Official links:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-in-Su...hash=item46a7544540:m:mKNZhQ2HvhFWXHRmMPFMLqA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-in-Su...hash=item46a7544434:m:m1UfMFPrguf0_BCjM66hmnw

Hey all, just an update on the T-shirts. There are 4 different shirts available at my eBay store:

White w/ gold logo
Black w/ gold logo
Green w/ "woodcut" logo
Blue w/ "woodcut" logo

These are not going to make me rich, but can help the LiS channel, a few bucks at a time. They are mostly for your fun.

Please let me know if you have any problems with ordering. I've been steadily working out bugs in the process and unexpected ones might still pop up.
And please don't use the pirated listing from China. Thanks!

Take a photo sometime in your shirt and share it with us!

Official links:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-in-Su...hash=item46a7544540:m:mKNZhQ2HvhFWXHRmMPFMLqA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-in-Su...hash=item46a7544434:m:m1UfMFPrguf0_BCjM66hmnw

In the club!

Nice medium-weight 50/50 fabric, quality screen print, not too heavy on the paint, so breathable.
Tagless, "Live Life in Surround" printed on back of collar in tag location.

This one will get worn!

Point on, Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me...
I'm gonna wave my freak flag high...
Wave on, wave on...
:hi
:51QQ

IMG_3887.jpeg

Deep Purple - Machine Head
US Quad vs. UK Quad vs. 5.1 Mixes Compared

So many QQers to thank this time! Photos, rips, even the generous gift of an OOP treasure. I'll bundle you all together to protect the innocent:
@Quad Linda @JonUrban @leefarber @Beefalo and @sjcorne
Thanks very much and I hope you enjoy, everyone.

So many QQers to thank this time! Photos, rips, even the generous gift of an OOP treasure. I'll bundle you all together to protect the innocent:
@Quad Linda @JonUrban @leefarber @Beefalo and @sjcorne
Thanks very much and I hope you enjoy, everyone.

Great work on this video! I do have the answers to a few questions you posed in the video:
  • The U.K. quad mix is credited to Peter Mew and was originally released on SQ LP and Q8 (different than the U.S. Q8) in Europe and Australia
  • There's no remix credit for the U.S. quad mix
  • On my copy of the DVD-A, the 5.1 mix is credited to John Kellogg and Paul Klingberg, who did a number of 5.1 mixes in the early 2000s (Tapestry, Brain Salad Surgery, Foreigner 4, etc)
As for other Deep Purple releases in surround...
  • The quad mix of Stormbringer was released digitally on a U.K. DVD-V several years ago (QQ Poll)
  • Steven Wilson mentioned in an interview with Mike Mettler that he completed a remix of Made In Japan several years ago that remains unreleased

Great work on this video! I do have the answers to a few questions you posed in the video:
  • The U.K. quad mix is credited to Peter Mew and was originally released on SQ LP and Q8(different than the U.S. Q8) in Europe and Australia
  • There's no remix credit for the U.S. quad mix
  • On my copy of the DVD-A, the 5.1 mix is credited to John Kellogg and Paul Klingberg, who did a number of 5.1 mixes in the early 2000s (Tapestry, Brain Salad Surgery, Foreigner 4, etc)
As for other Deep Purple releases in surround...
  • The quad mix of Stormbringer was released digitally on a U.K. DVD-V several years ago (QQ Poll)
  • Steven Wilson mentioned in an interview with Mike Mettler that he completed a remix of Made In Japan several years ago that remains unreleased
I'm going to paste this excellent post in to the details of the video.
Looking back through my notes, Charlie Watts did the mastering for the 5.1 version. I'm sure he isn't the Rolling Stones drummer. I just think it's cool when surround engineers share names with celebrities. There is sometimes that faint possibly that they're one and the same.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
US Quad vs. UK Quad vs. 5.1 Mixes Compared

Also - I just pulled out my DVD-A rip and it appears to be quite a bit louder than the SACD waveforms you showed in the video. The SACD does still appear to exhibit some limiting (the 'haircut' look) on the fronts, so I wonder if it's just the original mastering with the gain lowered (rather than a new mastering)?

"Highway Star" (Japanese SACD):
Highway_JapSACD.jpg

"Highway Star" (DVD-A):
Highway_DVDA.jpg

Magnificent, Mike! One of your very best videos, a real indication of not only how far you've come, but how much you can do with your channel--the very best on YouTube, for what my opinion is worth! So much wonderful and insightful information from Mary and Mark, once he is given some time to "connect the dots." But for me, the most wonderful aspect of this episode is how you introduce, interject, redirect, and inform both your interviewees and your audience. Absolutely brilliant, Mike. So wonderful. I wanna be you when I grow up! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

EDIT: Mike, I see you have links to Mary's website and her store in your YouTube description. Is there any way to track how many hits she gets from your links? I think it would be cool to see just how impactful the video is. When I ordered my copy earlier this week (the day you announced it), I let her know in my email that I had read about it on QQ because of you! Keep up the great work and Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
FWIW, I'd be thrilled to interview the likes of Clearmountain, Scheiner, Wilson and company. Perhaps over time they'll become interested in the channel.
Or perhaps reaching out to them is the thing to do. I some ways, I think I need a manager or some kind of logistics help with LiS.

I had a show on a small college radio station here in Connecticut from around 2006 until 2014. I was actually surprised at some of the people that I was able to score interviews with. I was lucky enough to be able to interview Todd Rundgren, Adrian Belew, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Michael Timmins (from Cowboy Junkies) and Robyn Hitchcock. Not the biggest names in the world I know, but it was fun to do. I found more often than not, most of my interview requests were granted. Can't hurt to ask!

Back