Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Top 15 Surround Albums:

Interesting choice of albums, even though my top 10/15 list would be completely different. I have the feeling that the music genre/quality has played a key role in determining these titles. If I had to rank surround albums in pure terms of mix quality, I would definitely put Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, Tangerine Dream and XTC in the top 10/15... curious that apart from PF, these have been left out.

Interesting choice of albums, even though my top 10/15 list would be completely different. I have the feeling that the music genre/quality has played a key role in determining these titles...
Actually, I thought it was the quality, not the genre, that Mike used to determine his list (which is why my list would be similar to yours, mostly prog. rock, with Miles Davis and fusion thrown in as well). I wouldn't buy a surround disc unless I liked the music in the first place, and if I don't like the music (or genre), no amount of discrete mixing of it is going to change that.

Perhaps Mike could clarify this point as the range of music on his list is (to me) so wide.

Actually, I thought it was the quality, not the genre, that Mike used to determine his list (which is why my list would be similar to yours, mostly prog. rock, with Miles Davis and fusion thrown in as well). I wouldn't buy a surround disc unless I liked the music in the first place, and if I don't like the music (or genre), no amount of discrete mixing of it is going to change that.

Perhaps Mike could clarify this point as the range of music on his list is (to me) so wide.
For me, it's "does it keep me coming back?"
As such, doesn't have to be the best fidelity, only pleasant. Doesn't have to be the greatest mix, but engaging. Musical interest has to be sky high.

For me, it's "does it keep me coming back?"
As such, doesn't have to be the best fidelity, only pleasant. Doesn't have to be the greatest mix, but engaging. Musical interest has to be sky high.
Fair enough, although for me to keep coming back I'd have to have some interest in the first place. In that respect, I think I'm rather stuck in my ways, growing up when I did in the early 70s, that era has stayed with me, as has the prog. rock genre. When I discover "new" music, it's not systematic, but rather, serendipitous - I discovered Nightwish (a symphonic metal band from Finland) indirectly on YouTube by them doing a cover of Floyd's "High Hopes".

Fair enough, although for me to keep coming back I'd have to have some interest in the first place. In that respect, I think I'm rather stuck in my ways, growing up when I did in the early 70s, that era has stayed with me, as has the prog. rock genre. When I discover "new" music, it's not systematic, but rather, serendipitous - I discovered Nightwish (a symphonic metal band from Finland) indirectly on YouTube by them doing a cover of Floyd's "High Hopes".

Exactly my thoughts on this too. If I'm not interested in the music, it doesn't engage me, then nothing will persuade me to vote favorably for an album no matter how good the mix is, the fidelity, etc. Case in point the Jackie Leven album Shining Brother Shining Sister. I bought this based on many folks strong feedback on how good this was. Sorry but it bored the sh*t out of me. Will sit on my shelf and collect dust. Will never make a top 10 or 15 list :SB

JL1.jpg

Musically, I grew up in the late 60s and 70s, but I find that multi channel music has allowed me to massively broaden my music listening horizons. I’ve come to like and appreciate a lot of artists and genres I would have never listened to otherwise. So for me, it comes down to an immersive, engaging, and high fidelity mix. Give me that, and I’ll give it a shot and, very likely, repeated listens.

Watched earlier on you tubing Mike. Very good and informative as ever. Like the little amusing Segway. Great to put humour in ...keeps the interest and puts a smile on the old boat race.
:cool:

Surround Album News - Summer 2020

You missed Suzanne Ciani. Improvisation on Four Sequences at Festival Antigel - All Spatial Mixes | Suzanne Ciani
Her new quad release isn't getting much notice here, perhaps because it got conflated into the Surround Master thread.
And download only?

I got an email saying she might be open to a Q&A with QQ.
If she's not your cup of tea, never mind.
Just wanted to put it out there for the record.

https://yorkmediale.com/projects/suzanne-ciani/
Synth Pioneer Suzanne Ciani Discusses Her Career and the Evolution of Electronic Music - Audiofemme

You missed Suzanne Ciani. Improvisation on Four Sequences at Festival Antigel - All Spatial Mixes | Suzanne Ciani
Her new quad release isn't getting much notice here, perhaps because it got conflated into the Surround Master thread.
And download only?

Synth Pioneer Suzanne Ciani Discusses Her Career and the Evolution of Electronic Music - Audiofemme
Thanks for the reminder, just ordered, very easy!

And download only?

Thanks for the head's up about her work. So far, I haven't been drawn in. Is there a discrete 4.0 download available, or something of the sort?

Surround Album News - Summer 2020

Another fabulous job Mike, thanks for all the reminders, some things do get lost in time and a busy surround schedule...
Also just want to mention the Dutton Vocalion current & (recent past) and speculative future "Pop/Jazz/Soul/Funk/Rock" releases in Quad SACD.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Thanks for the head's up about her work. So far, I haven't been drawn in. Is there a discrete 4.0 download available, or something of the sort?
I just downloaded (haven't listened yet) looks like a 5.1, Quad, Ambisonic Headphone, and a Stereo mix all included with the order.

Yes, on the first link I posted.

Even better, a free discrete quad FLAC of her previous studio album that was pressed on vinyl in Surroundmaster encoding in a super limited run of 227 copies that could only be purchased with Chucky's decoder circuit board.

Here, courtesy of KamranV, her producer and mixer on the project:
UNCOMPRESSED - Google Drive

This is the thread about her involvement with @chucky3042 and his gang:
First Album release in Involve Quad format: Suzanne Ciani Live Quadraphonic

Check it out.

Back