Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over my head, mate!
What is this one?

LIS MYSTERY.jpg

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Deluxe Set & Alan Parsons 5.1 mix review

Nice review.
In Spek, you can change the upper and lower limits of the spectrogram dynamic range (now they range between -20dB and -120dB, but it's better to have then between 0 and 140). See shortcut keys below:

Ctrl-up, Ctrl-down
Change the lower limit of the dynamic range in dBFS.
Ctrl-Shift-up, Ctrl-Shift-down
Change the upper limit of the dynamic range in dBFS.

Nice review.
In Spek, you can change the upper and lower limits of the spectrogram dynamic range (now they range between -20dB and -120dB, but it's better to have then between 0 and 140). See shortcut keys below:

Ctrl-up, Ctrl-down
Change the lower limit of the dynamic range in dBFS.
Ctrl-Shift-up, Ctrl-Shift-down
Change the upper limit of the dynamic range in dBFS.
Thanks for the heads up! I did not see any settings in the app!

Mike, You look so relaxed and chilled giving your insight into this superb release.
And you got the local birds to sing along in surround too!! :D

This album is so accessible. I hadn't heard it before this box set came out.
In my humble opinion, it is one of their better releases.

Pity you can't keep that setting and use it for future reviews.

Bob Dylan in Surround - 7 Albums Ranked Worst to Best!

I still find it infuriating that Nashville Skyline, Planet Waves, and Desire all appeared as stereo-only SACDs in this series when the quads could easily have been re-purposed. It's not like Sony were averse to using '70s quad mixes for their MC-SACD program at the time (see releases from Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Isley Brothers, etc). The quad mix of Desire is my favorite of all the Dylan surround releases.

"Lay Lady Lay" is featured on Audio Fidelity's The Collection SACD compilation, so you can get a taste of how the Nashville Skyline quad mix would sound transferred from the master tape. It's one of those very aggressive '4-corner' mixes with the drums crammed into one rear speaker--even the matrixed vinyl gives a pronounced surround effect.

I still find it infuriating that Nashville Skyline, Planet Waves, and Desire all appeared as stereo-only SACDs in this series when the quads could easily have been re-purposed. It's not like Sony were averse to using '70s quad mixes for their MC-SACD program at the time (see releases from Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Isley Brothers, etc). The quad mix of Desire is my favorite of all the Dylan surround releases.

"Lay Lady Lay" is featured on Audio Fidelity's The Collection SACD compilation, so you can get a taste of how the Nashville Skyline quad mix would sound transferred from the master tape. It's one of those very aggressive '4-corner' mixes with the drums crammed into one rear speaker--even the matrixed vinyl gives a pronounced surround effect.
Gah, I forgot about his track on The Collection!

Bob Dylan in Surround - 7 Albums Ranked Worst to Best!

Copying my comments from YouTube (hope that's okay to do):

"That video was a bit scattered, as you mentioned... maybe you could have given each album another listen-through beforehand? But I certainly don't want to discourage you from creating new videos, even if spontaneous & loose! And the upside for me was that it prompted me to look for the "Love And Theft" SACD, which I've had on CD since it came out but had forgotten there was a surround version available. I found it brand new at popmarket.com for about $10 with free shipping; I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today (I am in the same state as their headquarters, so it didn't have to travel very far, but still that's fast)! Just played it, and while I understand people's reservations about the quality of his voice, the songs and the playing and arrangements are quite enjoyable; the surround mix isn't especially aggressive, but it's pretty immersive, with individual instruments often isolated in the rears... well worth a tenner, in my book. I already have (and enjoy) the rest of the discs you featured, except the live one, which I have on CD and will be content with that.

I do want to give another perspective on the subject of double albums. For me, the length and sprawl of the best rock doubles is the whole point (and strength) of them. Beatles White Album, c'mon! The variety of styles and musical genres, and the overall weirdness quotient, is what makes it a masterpiece... cut it down to a single album and it becomes a conventional Beatles album, which means it would be great but there are already lots of those to choose from. Same thing for: Quadrophenia, London Calling, The Wall, Physical Graffiti, Exile On Main Street, Trout Mask Replica, Layla, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Chicago's first two releases... and yes, Blonde On Blonde. Just another take.

Thanks for the video, as always, and keep 'em coming!"

Back