Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit - San Francisco Experience Review

Thanks again for your review. I had seen ads around town in New York and Boston so I was more than ripe to hear more about the exhibit. As an aside, I strongly recommend putting on your bucket list a visit to the Musee D’Orsay in Paris. There’s an extensive exhibition of impressionist art, plus, there are two adjoining rooms in another location where, in one, you can get practically nose to nose with “Starry Night“ and other Van Gogh works and, in the other room, there are several paintings by Gauguin. To pick up on the IVGE pun, you really need to “Gogh,” (or is that “Gau”?)!

However, I do think it's a bit of a cheat not to offer the same audio quality as the blu-ray on the digital only album.

Thanks for bring this up - I'd initially assumed it was simply an oversight by the mix engineer who sent over the files, but I tried to create my own set of lossless MP4's from the physical Blu-Ray using the 'HandBrake' video encoding software and found it wasn't actually possible. It appears that the MP4 format simply does not support Dolby TrueHD, only the DD+ 'core' stream. Interestingly enough, it does support lossless DTS-HD pass-through.

Lifelike Encode.jpg

We're discussing the idea of adding an MKV/MKA version (I understand that format will retain the full lossless TrueHD stream and not just the core), if that's something people would be interested in. Obviously, those who already purchased would be sent a download link to the new file free-of-charge.

Thanks for bring this up - I'd initially assumed it was simply an oversight by the mix engineer who sent over the files, but I tried to create my own set of lossless MP4's from the physical Blu-Ray using the 'HandBrake' video encoding software and found it wasn't actually possible. It appears that the MP4 format simply does not support Dolby TrueHD, only the DD+ 'core' stream. Interestingly enough, it does support lossless DTS-HD pass-through.

View attachment 68971

We're discussing the idea of adding an MKV/MKA version (I understand that format will retain the full lossless TrueHD stream and not just the core), if that's something people would be interested in. Obviously, those who already purchased would be sent a download link to the new file free-of-charge.

Yep, good for you for catching on that currently the only way to offer lossless Atmos is with MKV/MKA and giving that consideration.

For an audience of audiophiles, I think that clearly needs to be an option.

Great video on YES, Mike! It’s always interesting to hear why a reviewer chooses a certain album.

Topographic Oceans is the only YES album that I chose not to purchase but changed my mind quite a bit later and found it to be sold out. For some reason, I never liked the studio album but enjoy the tracks ‘Live’. Go figure! After I changed my mind regarding hearing the surround version, it was because I thought that I would appreciate the surround mix over the original stereo mix.

I don’t like anything YES has done from Fly From Here to the present. I feel, the last good studio album was, The Ladder.

Now, you got me wanting to hear some YES now. 😊

As always, keep up the great video reviews!

Best regards,

Jeffrey Michael

If the '90s album in question really is Use Your Illusion, I imagine they'd want to release it sometime next month to coincide with the album's 30th anniversary - so you'd think they would've revealed it by now. The Appetite For Destruction SDE was announced about a month ahead of its June 2018 release date.

Back