Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish You Were Here 4.0 vs 5.1

Nice overview. Arguably the best feature of the Blu-Ray is that all three audio streams are pretty-closely synchronized, so you can make quick A/B comparisons just by tapping a button on your player's remote. I find that some tracks work better on the quad mix (the crazy 'center of the band' approach to "Have A Cigar" with the rhythm guitar and keys hard-panned in the rear speakers smokes the 5.1 remix for me), but as you say there are definitely some weird balance anomalies. Aside from the overloud acoustic guitars in "Welcome To The Machine", my biggest gripe with the quad is the missing slide guitar solos (and Gilmour's scatting) in the title track. I really can't figure how they missed that.

I can also confirm that the low-end is significantly more powerful on the Blu-Ray quad transfer than the SQ LP, perhaps as a result of mastering EQ? The sound quality of the quad mix definitely isn't bad on its own merits - certainly a huge improvement over the old vinyl and tape copies - but there is a striking tonal difference when you flip back-and-forth between it and the newer 5.1 remix. Say what you will about Guthrie's approach to surround sound, but he knows how to make the Floyd sound good.

In response to a member's recent question. If someone remembers that post and can tag that member, it would be much appreciated.

Here you go:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/surround-sacds-and-dvd-as-on-ebay.31368/post-594159
Interesting to know that Hotel California is still attainable, that was a fairly-expensive one when I got into the hobby. I'd add the following titles to your list:
  • Steven Wilson - Grace through TFB
  • King Crimson - Court 50th, whichever 40th titles are still available (Amazon still has Larks and Discipline for ~$20)
  • XTC - any of 'em
  • Pineapple Thief - any of 'em
  • Alan Parsons Project - Tales, Eye, and Ammonia Avenue
  • Elton John - S/T & Madman

10 Awesome, Affordable Surround & Immersive Albums!

In response to a member's recent question. If someone remembers that post and can tag that member, it would be much appreciated.
@Nyad and thanks to @sjcorne

Nice video; thanks as always Mike. I left a comment on YouTube with some additional suggestions for reasonably-priced surround titles, with a link on each one to a seller site, but YouTube kept removing the comment, so I had to re-do it without the links. So here, in the QQ realm where Google can't rear its massive corporate head, is the full thing:

Other bargains that may not have been mentioned so far:
...and although they've already been mentioned, I second the motion on looking for XTC, King Crimson and R.E.M. surround titles, many of which can be found at reasonable prices and are all really really good.

Nice video; thanks as always Mike. I left a comment on YouTube with some additional suggestions for reasonably-priced surround titles, with a link on each one to a seller site, but YouTube kept removing the comment, so I had to re-do it without the links. So here, in the QQ realm where Google can't rear its massive corporate head, is the full thing:

Other bargains that may not have been mentioned so far:
...and although they've already been mentioned, I second the motion on looking for XTC, King Crimson and R.E.M. surround titles, many of which can be found at reasonable prices and are all really really good.
The Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Live At The Roundhouse Blu-ray is surround, but I would not call it immersive as it is mostly reverb/ambient/crowd in the rears.

The Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Live At The Roundhouse Blu-ray is surround, but I would not call it immersive as it is mostly reverb/ambient/crowd in the rears.
Well it's certainly not discrete, but depending on one's definition of "immersive" it could be considered that, in the sense of reproducing the experience of being at the concert. But yes, point taken that it's probably not the best choice for someone looking to start a collection that showcases surround sound. In any case, it's a great show, shot and mixed nicely, and it currently has a poll score of 9.05, so it seems to be generally well-regarded here. For about $20, it's a bargain for anyone who appreciates early-era Pink Floyd.

Well it's certainly not discrete, but depending on one's definition of "immersive" it could be considered that, in the sense of reproducing the experience of being at the concert. But yes, point taken that it's probably not the best choice for someone looking to start a collection that showcases surround sound. In any case, it's a great show, shot and mixed nicely, and it currently has a poll score of 9.05, so it seems to be generally well-regarded here. For about $20, it's a bargain for anyone who appreciates early-era Pink Floyd.
I enjoy the SOS show and have reviewed it!
I've also done a video about killer live mixes, some of which are still affordable.

Back