Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the BDA version was not corrected?

Homer, what you might be referring to is this:

Message from: In Absentia (Deluxe Edition)
Please note that there was an omission from the original Blu-ray disc. It should have included the audio from CD2 in high res (24/96) but does not. We will be sending out replacement discs to all original customers in due course. You do not need to do anything. You can preorder a copy with the revised Blu-Ray now. We will ship it as soon as they are available.

I was thinking the ‘correction’ referred to the 5.1 mix inverted phase issue.

According to Mike's review, Homer, the out of phase LFE channel on the original DTS Entertainment MLP DVD~A has been corrected in that the bass output is now MORE prodigious!

I just played my original DTS MLP DVD~A of IN ABSTENTIA and on my system, my OPPO has the BASS [LFE channel] output redirected to my FULL RANGE B&W 802 Nautilus speakers [NOT to a dedicated SUB] and while the bass isn't overwhelming it still packs a punch.

KISS Destroyer 45th Streaming Atmos

I'd say the bass response on the Blu-Ray's DTS-HD 96/24 5.1 mix is about as good as the original album, though the overall fidelity of the remix is generally an improvement over the old stereo mix. Vocals are definitely clearer and a bit drier than I remember. The bigger problem for me is that the electric guitars seem slightly dialed-down in favor of the drums - the entrance of the dueling rhythm guitars in "Detroit Rock City" feels just a touch quieter than it should be. As you say, the sound effects work perfectly in surround and there are all kinds of newly-revealed overdubs (such as the piano chords in the rear speakers throughout "Detroit Rock City"). The acoustic version of "Beth" also sounds great in 5.1, shame it wasn't included on the Apple stream.

A spot on review that I'm sure reflects the feelings of many surround enthusiasts who are not die hard Kiss fans. Apple music, while far from perfect, nevertheless affords many opportunities to experience and enjoy surround music titles that we simply cannot justify purchasing (not to mention many that are unavailable for purchase). After listening to Destroyer, while I can certainly appreciate Steven Wilson's fun Atmos mix, it also validates my decision to save money for titles I will return to more often and enjoy more. Aside from the Apple Music annoyances (lack of gapless playback, the Dolby Audio issue, the lack of spatial audio search capability, etc.) overall it has performed much better than I expected. Add in playback of lossless and hi-res audio, I find it to be worth the subscription price, unlike my experience with Tidal.

Santana III SACD

Hey Mike. Nice review as usual. Couple of questions:
1) Does the reverb on this quad seem to be a bit heavy handed? I find it to be so on the Q8.
2) Are do the vocals on Everything's Coming Our Way Everybody's Everything sound recessed? Again, they are definitely that way on the Q8.

Last edited:
Hey Mike. Nice review as usual. Couple of questions:
1) Does the reverb on this quad seem to be a bit heavy handed? I find it to be so on the Q8.
2) Are do the vocals on Everything's Coming Our Way Everybody's Everything sound recessed? Again, they are definitely that way on the Q8.
I'm gonna say no and no.
I found this SACD to be sonically very pleasing!

Back