Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good show as always......I don't post much in here at all more of a LURKER......but I've been a HUGE fan of Genesis as most us Canadians have over the years.......please do a comprehensive review of all the GENESIS Box sets and any related releases.....would be much appreciated:)
Disclaimer: I don't have all the Genesis boxes! Early Years and Live. Then assorted albums from the other eras.
Doesn't mean a cool video can't be done. I sure get asked about Genesis a lot!

My Collection Series: SQ LPs

So you took the vinyl plunge, Mike? Yep, they're noisy take a LOT of TLC but a lot of those SQ, QS, CD~4 titles still have no QUAD SACD equivalents. But when they DO, might as well retire them to the basement. BTW, your canine mascot is a hoot. Beautiful! What's his favorite surround disc?

Glad to see you're so relaxed and enjoying LIFE IN SURROUND. I know, I AM!

And likewise, condolences on the loss of your uncle. Hopefully, this horrific pandemic will end soon. Can't wait to get my second booster!

Last edited:
RUSH - Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary

Great review and having streamed the 40th Atmos mix multiple times I have to say it eclipses my 2011 blu-ray 5.1 mix in just about every way. The use of the overhead channels is especially impressive on many tracks and greatly enhances the experience over 5.1. I'm not a huge Rush fan but always felt Moving Pictures was by far their best, most consistent album, and is one of the best prog rock albums, period. Like you I would purchase a smaller blu-ray package in a heartbeat to get the Atmos mix, but the label/band currently seems intent on embedding surround mixes in uber-expensive box sets. Until there is a change of heart, at least we have streaming options as a consolation.

Sorry if you haven’t been able to find endorsements for the channel from various corporate interests. Nothing like a little ad revenue to keep the inspiration flowing.
Review copies are sent my way occasionally, which is nice.
I don't hit up labels about it, so it's only when the artist reaches out, wishing to send them.
I'm not opposed to supporters of the channel contacting labels or such, about review partnerships.
I just don't have time or energy for that.

Enjoyed your video and comments. Love the treasure hunt for vinyl. Its like digging for gold. You plow through stacks in a record store a thrift store whatever and you see some gorgeous cover art or an SQ or QS on the cover and you take it home. Its a tangible physical thing.
As 4ears says many of these quad titles have no modern disc equivalents and usually they are outshined by a bluray or sacd but there is still an enjoyment to holding the record being able to read the liner notes in normal type font and decoding the disc....

Take care of yourself and your needs and keep digging that vinyl.

Quad LPs...
...and the Future of Music in Surround...

I see where you're coming from. As the burnt out for the digital surround era. And I'm with you on not limiting myself to music being released in surround format, otherwise, I'd be missing a lot of music! and it'd be quite narrow sided.
I haven't renewed my Apple Music subscription yet, though, I've got +30 bookmarks for albums that I wanna check out when I renew, once I get past this burnt out stage :p
Enjoy your vinyl/quad hunt/stage!

Immersive & Surround Audio News June 2022
+ New YT Channel Announcement

@Elad @sjcorne @Guitmark @EricKalet @J. PUPSTER

As far as surround music news goes, I'd be willing to bet that the upcoming Guns N' Roses boxsets for Use Your Illusion will contain surround mixes. That would also be my guess for the mystery "90's arena band" Steve Wilson was working with.

Looking forward to your vinyl reviews, Edison Baggins.

Last edited:
It remains to be seen if UMe has different plans (maybe an under-the-radar streaming-only release?).

Could UMe do that? I know they were able to get the live and Greatest Hits albums out because of the various delays in Chinese, but it seems unwise of UMe to go against band decrees. Speaking of Chinese, that album would really shine in any surround iteration.

Back