Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, I really enjoyed your tete e tete with Mark Doyle , Mike .
Great questions btw , and well....now I'm sold .

I 'm convinced by these video interviews of yours that I must (no choice) , buy Mary Fahl 's new album , and chase down a copy of her DSOTM version .
So thanks for your skilled efforts.

Fizzy 😊

Well, I really enjoyed your tete e tete with Mark Doyle , Mike .
Great questions btw , and well....now I'm sold .

I 'm convinced by these video interviews of yours that I must (no choice) , buy Mary Fahl 's new album , and chase down a copy of her DSOTM version .
So thanks for your skilled efforts.

Fizzy 😊
Music to my ears!

Great interview, Mike. I appreciate that you allowed Mary to let her enthusiasm carry through uninterrupted. Too many interviewers cut off the interviewee just when a person is about to get into something really interesting, and thus wind up derailing the interview (looking at you, Marc Maron), so kudos to you to let her roll. What an engaging person she is! Great stuff.

On a personal side note, I was glad to hear that she ran in the same circles as the band Olabelle, who featured Levon Helm's daughter, Amy Helm, and whose drummer, Tony Leone, was in the same high school marching band as me (from the Hartford, CT area) and last I checked was the drummer for the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. EDIT: Apparently he is now the drummer for the current iteration of Little Feat (now there's a band that needs some surround lovin').

Last edited:

Mike, I really enjoyed your interviews with Ronald Prent and Mary Fahl(I’m taking a break now and will catch the Mark Doyle interview probably tomorrow). I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that Darcy Proper had done the mastering on “Gaucho;” that was one of those “you had me at ‘hello’” moments!

Mary really hit the trifecta with the production team of Mark, Ronald and Darcy. And then she had the further good fortune to receive “a little help from her friends“ in the person of one Mike Vieira!

After listening to the discussion that you and Mary had about Dolby Atmos, there was one thing that I wanted to add. As some people may know, I recently went down the Smyth Realiser A16 rabbit hole and emerged with a professionally produced HRTF virtual capture of a 12.1.10 Dolby Atmos and a 13.1 Auro 3D speaker system to listen to at home through headphones. So, yes, it can be done!

Now please excuse me while I go to the IAA website to purchase a download of Mary’s new album(I already own “From The Dark Side Of The Moon” on Blu ray).

Last edited:
Just watched your interview with Ronald Prent, great stuff. Legendary guy and a nice gentleman. What a room he has to work in! Joey from Manowar must love immersive audio to spend all that money setting things up.
Shame the Auro and Atmos mixes were not on the Mary Blu ray. I would have bought it if so.
I’m not predicting anything but it would be cool if the Auro and Atmos mixes were sold as downloads on Mary’s website. 🤔

NOT BUYING IT - Revolver - The Beatles - A RANT

Nice video, Mike, but you were much too diplomatic Let me have at them...I'll be banned from YouTube forever! :SB

$140 list price for 5 CD's...Assume $115 with discounts. One of the CDs contains the mono version which was already issued in the mono box. Another is a short EP of new stereo mixes of Paperback Writer and Rain. CD #1 is the new stereo mix, which can be had separately for around $15. So that really comes to about a $100 premium for two CDs of outtakes, a couple of bonus tracks remixed in stereo, and a book. There's not even a 96/24 high resolution stereo version. Not good value for the money at all. I will buy either standalone CD or a downloadable 96/24 version.

NOT BUYING IT - Revolver - The Beatles - A RANT

Well said Mike. You could have projected a little more outrage but I get why you didn't, there is nothing to be gained from it. Although it would have made for a better "rant". ;)

I will probably pick up the standard CD just to check out the new mix (much like "Let It Be - Naked"). Otherwise they can cram the expensive box set. What a shame for all of us.

Back