Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all that can be found is a quadraphonic matrix encoded (QS or SQ) 2 channel master recording, maybe DV could consider using a Surround Master to decode it to have a quadraphonic version for release on an MCH SACD.
They did just that with Airto & Deodato's In Concert album (though it was never revealed what specific decoder model was used) and I remember it drawing a lot of criticism around these parts. Plus, I'd imagine that surround music fans looking for encoded material to feed their matrix decoders are an infinitely smaller subset of an already niche market.

DV could provide both the matrix encoded stereo and SM decoded to quad content on the same SACD [with a note on the package that the the quad is decoded with a SM], then if the user wants to use a different matrix decoder, the matrix encoded stereo would be available for that.

Kirk Bayne

They did just that with Airto & Deodato's In Concert album (though it was never revealed what specific decoder model was used) and I remember it drawing a lot of criticism around these parts. Plus, I'd imagine that surround music fans looking for encoded material to feed their matrix decoders are an infinitely smaller subset of an already niche market.
I agree, besides there should be plenty of good Quad still left in the tank; and wasn't there also an stereo SQ of Herbie Hancock's Sextant that was included on a release?

@edisonbaggins; this sort of opportunity doesn't come along very often, maybe think about having some PM's with our man @steelydave (he knows MJD as well as anyone here); he may be willing to help with some additional questions, to zero in on how he approaches certain aspects and titles.

Great work, Baggy, I know you'll do a good job asking all the right questions.

Possibly ask him:
  • Suggestions about how to help him find/ get old quads - e.g. if there is someone with knowledge of X, they could let him know. (Of course SteelyDave is probably already covering that.)

• What makes him decide to mix something new into quad? (E.g. recent James Galway.) Is it just availability of multi-tracks (and rights of course) or is there something else?

• Is he willing to issue anything he can (that has some commercial potential) or does he have a 'niche'? (E.g. apart from a few early 70s US rock acts it seems like classical plus easy listening.)

• Are there any on his dream list?

• Are there any he has been offered, but the numbers didn't work? (I.e. potential sales too low/ cost of licensing too high.)

But most of all let him know that we love him! High quality releases at great prices. Give the man a medal!

DV could provide both the matrix encoded stereo and SM decoded to quad content on the same SACD [with a note on the package that the the quad is decoded with a SM], then if the user wants to use a different matrix decoder, the matrix encoded stereo would be available for that.

Kirk Bayne
Hopefully they only do this AFTER all the true quadraphonic masters are exhausted.

I'm talking to Michael Dutton about an interview.
Any questions or topics you'd all like discussed?
I'm wondering if he is concerned at all about streaming surround music, and if he has seen any drop in sales for his quad discs for albums that are currently streaming in quad (for example: Rick Derringer, Mott The Hoople, Argent, Mac Davis, Charlie Rich, Blood Sweat & Tears, Pure Prairie League, The Guess Who).

Roger Waters | This is Not a Drill Tour Review + Free Julian Assange Message and Petition

Nice review. I caught two night as well (Albany & Elmont). Thoroughly enjoyed both. For all the talk about his politics, I think the overriding message was about finding our common humanity. It's the message in the new song "The Bar" as well a common thread throughout his career ("strangers passing in the street/by chance two separate glances meet/I am you and what I see is me" or "I recognize myself in every stranger's eyes"). Yes there is some intense political messaging, but there is the other message as well. Sadly his detractors harp on the former and never mention the latter. I had been a bit underwhelmed by Roger's shows from 1999-2008, but since the 2010 Wall tour, he's really been upping his game. While many of the musicians from his generation are playing it safe and gouging their fans on tickets prices, he's got the fire in his belly again and it's been a real treat to see.

According to the Rush is a Band blog:

While on the subject of the Signals 40th anniversary, many fans are wondering whether Rush will be releasing a Signals box set to mark the occasion. Although there are few details at this time, a box set is in the works, with a likely release coming sometime next year.

Top 20 (physical) Surround Albums of 2022

Special thanks to @haikubass for managing the list the video is based on.
Shout out to @Guitmark for his contributions to the latest great Mary Fahl surround album.
Congrats to @PaulatSDE for making the list and for the excellent blu-ray releases this year!
Enjoy and Happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited:
2023 Surround/Immersive Albums Forecast, feat. Guest Co-host @rtbluray

@sjcorne @nosound @OdysseyMusik @Stephen W Tayler all deserve some thanks, or get a shout out, or both!

Man, you guys did a great job with this one! Love the quick back and forth commentary.

I could definitely feel the love and enthusiasm coming through you two have for the music.

It just shows how fortunate we are to have so many great titles coming out in surround; who says surround sound is dying?

I'd like to order one of these video chats each month for an update (well at least a mid year update please!)

Now if they'd just release those Joni Mitchell albums in physical Atmos/surround/Quad (y)

Back