Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea of Steven remixing Quartet - even just a stereo version - is really exciting, as there are some awesome harder-rocking songs on that album ("Mine For Life", "When The Scream Subsides", "Cut and Run") that are seriously let down by the mix/production IMO. I don't know what happened when they were mixing it - it's not like George Martin & Geoff Emerick aren't capable of making things sound good - but my '82 UK LP has very little bottom-end and a weird veiled quality to the highs. This has the potential to be an Aqualung or Animals-level sonic upgrade if done right.

Just trying out this idea. Some of my favorite YT channels do it. Making shorter clips from long videos.

Steven Wilson Remixes - 2023 Forecast - Excerpt from full 2023 Forecast video

Nothing new, but in case you'd like a brief recap or don't have an hour for the long video.

Just letting you know, I watched the full length version yesterday. I thought you paced it very well with both your video editing and the comments. And so it didn't feel as long as it actually was. It was enjoyable and engaging.

So if people have a bit of time over the weekend, I recommend the unexpurgated version. :)

If Snakes and Arrows had received more positive reviews among the public and critics, some engineers would have done the 5.1 again.

Right ON, Mike. I've long been a champion of LOSSLESS codecs on this forum but have been met with statements like "At Least it's in surround ..." Like Fleetwood Mac's TUSK and Fleetwood Mac in ....dolby digital????????

Why go to the expense of ordering a 5.1 remix, assemble an elaborate box set replete with book and release it in LOSSY Dolby Digital 5.1, a format which was great in the 90's but has been superceded by MLP DVD~A 5.1 and SACD multi~CH and now BD~A 5.1 and ATMOS!!!!!!

And yeah, DTS does sound better than Dolby Digital but it, too, is a 90's format and should have been retired with the advent of DVD~A and SACD around the turn of the new century!

And my biggest gripe ...... most of these classic albums have been available in NUMEOUS multiple formats since their release and with all these new advanced technologies, why release it in the 00's in LOSSY FORMATS when the record companies and artists can and should FINALLY reward their loyal customers/fans with the sonic mirror contents of those analogue master tapes?

LOVE all those incredible Steve Wilson TULL 5.1 remixes .......but why give us the 5.1 content in DTS and the stereo remasters in LOSSLESS 96/24?

On separate components one can easily hear that the LOSSLESS Stereo sounds better than the LOSSY 5.1 ....... hands down!

Hopefully, one day that will be rectified with a complete LOSSLESS TULL BD~A boxset in either 192/24 5.1 or better yet, ATMOS...and you'll easily hear what I'm talking about!

KUDOS, Mike for your candor in exhorting the major [and minor] record companies and especially artists to step up to the plate by finally retiring 90's audio technology in favor of current superior formats, which IMO, are WAAAYYY cooler than VINYL!!!!!!

It's REALLY About time!

KUDOS, Mike for your candor in exhorting the major [and minor] record companies and especially artists to step up to the plate by finally retiring 90's audio technology in favor of current superior formats, which IMO, are WAAAYYY cooler than VINYL!!!!!!

It's REALLY About time!
Sums up why the SDE Surround Series is so freaking awesome!!!
Thanks to @PaulatSDE
:SB

If Snakes and Arrows had received more positive reviews among the public and critics, some engineers would have done the 5.1 again.
I think you’re probably right, but I think Snakes and Arrows is a tremendous album, and compared to almost any other band or Prog band from that era, Rush kept making quality releases. I think the lack of positive reviews is more about a lack of popular interest for an older band. In my book they went out with highest integrity, like no other, and I’m not even the biggest Rush fan!

Back