Quad LP/Tape Poll Light, Enoch, & The Light Brigade: Charge! [QS/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Charge!"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Another 1972 extravagaza, Project 3 PR 5073 QD.

Side 1:

1. Soolaimon
2. Fire And Rain
3. Spinning Wheel
4. Bridge Over Troubled Water
5. What Have TheY Done To My Song, Ma
6. A Hard Day's Night

Side 2:

1. Sweet Caroline
2. You've Got A Friend
3. Amazing Grace
4. Lonely Days
5. Take Me To The Pilot

Enoch Light had to be some kind of engineering genius. He wrote some hip arrangements, too, but his recording technique was superb. The way vinyl was meant to sound.

Just a small point. This album was also released in SQ and CD-4 versions

I have about 25 Enoch Light titles. The only thing that kinda bugs me about them all is the over-use of the same songs. Not to mention even to the point of re-issuing the same album with a different name and new catalog number!! Big Band Hits of the 30's & 40's 6012/6013 are the same as two seperate earlier titles!

Anybody ever notice that the stereo versions of the albums STILL include the playful though sometimes annoying and/or inept pan-potting of some instruments? I wonder if the stereo versions were made simply by mixing the 4 channels to 2.

The Light albums were targeted at the same audience that dug mainstream pop from the instrumental mood music of Faith, Conniff, Nero, etc. to all the pop vocalists whose album track listings would look like clones of each other--same old and new stuff, not often anyone broke the mold (as Streisand finally did with STONEY END) and kept their style but no longer let themselves be limited by obvious and current covers.

As for summing 4 to 2-channel stereo, it's possible, and he was the kind of stickler who would have insisted on the proper balancing to make that work. But he coulda mixed them separately too, and we can assume that at least for titles not simultaneously issued in stereo and quad.

ED :)

I have this as an SQ encoded LP version, despite the sleeve reading PR5073 QD. Either way, this is a fantastic line up and the quad mix is a typical Enoch Light riot of isolated placement. Front to back and corner to corner, this one has it all. Even the inadequacies of SQ and the wafer thin VG+ vinyl that mine is pressed on can't stop this one sounding really discrete via the new SM SQ Vinyl Beta. The dynamics are pretty amazing, 'Hard Day's Night' concluded with some tenor sax action that goes from a whisper to a roar, one corner to all four with no harshness or brittle fragmentation. 'Sweet Caroline' is an awesome corner to corner call and response that, like the rest sits on the unrequited knife edge of most of Enoch's covers compilations. One side lies cheesy lounge muzak hell, the other, stellar musicianship, engineering and arranging with 70's quad mixing to delight the ears. 'You've Got A Friend' is heart breakingly baroque-beautiful for the first few bars before heading somewhere candy coated and so sweet that it made my teeth ache. Phased guitars, maricachi trumpets, corner to corner vocal harmonies and a tambourine that just won't sit still cascade into the grooviest ending imaginable. I think if you buy this then you probably know where you are going with the material and this record will not disappoint.

I found several enoch light cd-4s in a record store in Phoenix years ago while visiting relatives. Even though they were expensive, I grabbed them because I'd never come across any of them before. I'm listening to this one right now and it really is cd-4 demo material! When I first looked at the songs I thought "meh", then I started listening. My eyes opened wide and I could have sworn I was listening to a Q4 tape-its that good. The only thing I don't like is the vocals on a couple of the songs. "Spinning wheel " is a "creme de la creme" quad instrumental and several of the others aren't far behind. 10 on this one.

Back