HiRez Poll Lilium - SHORT STORIES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Lilium - SHORT STORIES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts andcomments on this DVD-Audio release from Germany on the 'Glitterhouse' label! (n):phones(y)

(Thanks to QQ Members 'LizardKing' and 'haikubass' for finding this one)

lilium.jpg

A good alt country style music album.

The surround mix is good as i remember, its been a while since I played it.

As i remember its a 48/24 LPCM DVD rather than DVDA but who is quibbeling.

Its not been top of my play list fro a while might dig it out today and give it a spin then give it a merk.

CD Universe has this listed on the Smooch label (a distributor maybe?) and says it comes with a bonus DVD.

Does anyone know if this bonus DVD is the actual DVD-A (or 48/24 LPCM as the case may be)?

It is a DVD-A with 48/24 LPCM audio. It's just not using MLP!

It is a DVD-A with 48/24 LPCM audio. It's just not using MLP!

Well, it is indeed a multichannel DVD-A (48/24) but I'm confused with your comment: wich is the diference between LPCM and MLP?!

By the way, I really enjoy the music, the mix (suits well for it) and the quality of this album. In the DVD side you'll find the Dolby Digital and DTS mix and 3 extra songs in stereo LPCM (taken from a soundtrack). By the way, I go in this case for 8.7... the closer to that is 9.

Excellent music that I could clasify more like indie instead of alt. country. (except for 1 o 2 songs).

;)

With LPCM the audio stream is not compressed, i.e. Linear PCM (LPCM) as opposed to being compressed with Meridian Losseless Packing (MLP), "most" DVD-use MLP to compress the audio without losing any information. DVD-A discs that have only (48/24) discs may be able to fit on a standard single layer DVD without the need for compression (via MLP).

To store 5.1 tracks in 88.2/20, 88.2/24, 96/20 or 96/24 MLP encoding is mandatory - but not for 48/24.

With LPCM the audio stream is not compressed, i.e. Linear PCM (LPCM) as opposed to being compressed with Meridian Losseless Packing (MLP), "most" DVD-use MLP to compress the audio without losing any information. DVD-A discs that have only (48/24) discs may be able to fit on a standard single layer DVD without the need for compression (via MLP).

To store 5.1 tracks in 88.2/20, 88.2/24, 96/20 or 96/24 MLP encoding is mandatory - but not for 48/24.

MLP encoded tracks appear on my DVD Player a PPCM which I assume is something like Packed PCM.

To the disc, Nice surround mix it is a 48/24 LPCM disc 6 channels.
The music is maybe less country quite intreguing in many was. surround are used well, occiasionally you get a teh same instrument in all speakers putting at the center of the performance.

Love it not much in the way of extras.

Last edited:
CD Universe has this listed on the Smooch label (a distributor maybe?) and says it comes with a bonus DVD.

Does anyone know if this bonus DVD is the actual DVD-A (or 48/24 LPCM as the case may be)?

The search on Google suggests that teh DVD does contain the DVD does contain teh Album in glorious 5.1. that being teh case I would recommend that as pretty good value

I see now, thank you! :eek:

8 years later and I'm posting my thoughts.

If you like fairly deep, slow and moody music/lyrics, then this is the release for you.
I'm not saying I do or don't as it's growing on me.
In fact I do like this release.
I like to listen to alternative releases in surround.
Deff not country music!! more Indie/Goth I'd say.

This is how it's listed over on Discogs:
Folk Rock, Acoustic, Ethereal, Country Rock

I think Ethereal sums up the music very well....none of the other descriptions apply.

It's between an 8 and a 9 for fidelity, mix and music.

Oh go on then, 9

8 years later and I'm posting my thoughts.

If you like fairly deep, slow and moody music/lyrics, then this is the release for you.
I'm not saying I do or don't as it's growing on me.
In fact I do like this release.
I like to listen to alternative releases in surround.
Deff not country music!! more Indie/Goth I'd say.

This is how it's listed over on Discogs:
Folk Rock, Acoustic, Ethereal, Country Rock

I think Ethereal sums up the music very well....none of the other descriptions apply.

It's between an 8 and a 9 for fidelity, mix and music.

Oh go on then, 9

Your description "Indie / Goth" sounds very interesting... Also still available for less than 10 Euros shipped - ordered!

Your description "Indie / Goth" sounds very interesting... Also still available for less than 10 Euros shipped - ordered!

As long as this type of music is for you but yeah great price.
If you like fairly deep, slow and moody music/lyrics (if this translate to Indie/Goth then that's fine)

For those who don't know this is Pascal and Jean-Yves from 16 Horsepower, and Passion Fodder before that. Pascal was with Wovenhand in the mid-00s also.
Bob Ferbrache recorded and mixed this, who did the same for 16 Horsepower, Wovenhand, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Ian Cooke, Eolian, Uphollow - the last four being bands I was in. I'm no longer involved with the Auto Club, nor is Bob.
Some call the country/goth thing you are describing "The Denver Sound" with Bob being the origin of the sound. Certainly that Denver is long-gone now but I think the term fits for the '90s/00s. I recall Bob being happy with this release. He would often crank it up to show off the benefits of surround.
All the bands mentioned above have surround releases (excepting Eolian) - some harder to find than others. Glad this one is still getting some listens! :LB

For those who don't know this is Pascal and Jean-Yves from 16 Horsepower, and Passion Fodder before that. Pascal was with Wovenhand in the mid-00s also.
Bob Ferbrache recorded and mixed this, who did the same for 16 Horsepower, Wovenhand, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Ian Cooke, Eolian, Uphollow - the last four being bands I was in. I'm no longer involved with the Auto Club, nor is Bob.
Some call the country/goth thing you are describing "The Denver Sound" with Bob being the origin of the sound. Certainly that Denver is long-gone now but I think the term fits for the '90s/00s. I recall Bob being happy with this release. He would often crank it up to show off the benefits of surround.
All the bands mentioned above have surround releases (excepting Eolian) - some harder to find than others. Glad this one is still getting some listens! :LB
Hi
A fascinating insight!!
I have just ordered Auto Clubs DVD in surround.
https://slimcessnasautoclub.myshopi...the-commandments-according-to-scac-ltd-ed-dvdAs you say some of the other bands surround releases are very hard to find.
I already have the ones by 16 Horsepower and Ian Cooke

Cool, it's a bargain! I mixed that one, and the most recent Cooke. Neil Wilkes mixed the Cooke Antiquasauria, and Bob mixed all the others I mentioned. Unfortunately, he's not mixing anymore. He moved away from Denver and retired to Vermont.
Wovenhand is still going strong, though Pascal and Jean-Yves haven't been involved in a long long time. The current (and for the past several years) includes Chuck and Neil from Planes Mistaken for Stars and is much louder and more aggressive. Touring next year with Om.

Back