Lindsey Buckingham in Dolby Atmos spatial audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This just popped up on Lindsey Buckingham's Facebook feed:

Now streaming in Dolby Atmos spatial audio – hear the new self-titled album in a whole new way here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/LBAtmosMix

263599898_446405673510139_3526529228527004751_n.jpg

I don't have Atmos, (not to mention that I haven't subscribed to any music streaming services), I would love to hear what people think of the mix on this.

This just popped up on Lindsey Buckingham's Facebook feed:

Now streaming in Dolby Atmos spatial audio – hear the new self-titled album in a whole new way here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/LBAtmosMix

View attachment 74061

I don't have Atmos, (not to mention that I haven't subscribed to any music streaming services), I would love to hear what people think of the mix on this.
For me at least, it’s not showing Apple Music as one of the services, but maybe Amazon Music Unlimited has the Atmos?

This thread may as well be a poll page, right? I vote 9/10!
It sounds fantastic. I do wish the atmos mix was a bit more adventurous but I certainly didn't expect it to be. Immersive is more the word for it, plenty of background vocals make their way to the back. Still a bit front-focused but it sounds big, full, powerful, etc.
Some really good songs on this album, and proof that Buckingham still has it at 72.
I love the simple drum machines - similar to his punkish solo stuff on FM Tusk. They give the whole thing a lo-fi feeling, but they're contrasted by lots of vocal harmonies and pristine acoustic guitars.
I hope he mixes more in atmos.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/lindsey-buckingham/1570804572?ls

Last edited:
Same vote from me. The mix is a little uneven, some songs are more adventurous than others, but not a big deal at all, everything sounds so good. This beautiful album is a gift to any Buckingham-era FM fan, the best and strongest material he's recorded since Rumours IMHO. It's clear he's having a lot of fun too.

Last edited:
Quick Listen last night of this Atmos album on Tidal.

For most of the tracks that I listened, Atmos Tops are not used. It uses only 5.1 and sometimes 7.1

This reminds me other discussions about Quad delivered through an Atmos platform, and someone saying it was not "full" Atmos.

Anyway, the mix is immersive and discrete. Although the mixer didn't feel like puting too much sound (almost none in the tracks I listened) above from the ceiling.

I meant either the CD or vinyl actually. :)
Those are available... ;)

IIRC the vinyl was cheap at Amazon before the holiday. I almost pulled the trigger, but didn’t. Don’t know about now.

So I'm not Atmos capable yet (its close though), and my stream gets downmixed to 5.1. I found the mix underwhelming. Several times I found myself checking to see that I didn't accidently swap a sound mode or have a malfunction because I couldn't tell the rears were playing. Sometimes there is just enough rear elements in place to let you know its all as it should be. Its not quite Plastic Ono Band non-discreetish, but its within shouting distance.

I don't think it has great sonics either. The midrange just seems so sucked out, maybe its bright? maybe its me?

I resorted to checking other previously streamed spatial tracks that I knew were discreet. They played fine. The Pre/Pro says its getting 7.1 48kHz each time.

But while browsing I noticed an Atmos mix of Rumors was available also. I went to that for a bit of comparison. I selected the Buckingham tracks and was amazed at how much better the mix and the fidelity was. I've had the Rumors DVDA since release. I haven't compared the stream to the 5.1 rip yet, but my guess is the stream does it justice. It will be interesting to compare the full on Atmos version.

On the plus side, I think some of the material is very listenable. I think it could be a grower. Not crazy about the drum machines. I'd be hard pressed to go higher than a 7 on this if it were a poll.

So I'm not Atmos capable yet (its close though), and my stream gets downmixed to 5.1. I found the mix underwhelming. Several times I found myself checking to see that I didn't accidently swap a sound mode or have a malfunction because I couldn't tell the rears were playing. Sometimes there is just enough rear elements in place to let you know its all as it should be. Its not quite Plastic Ono Band non-discreetish, but its within shouting distance.

I don't think it has great sonics either. The midrange just seems so sucked out, maybe its bright? maybe its me?

I resorted to checking other previously streamed spatial tracks that I knew were discreet. They played fine. The Pre/Pro says its getting 7.1 48kHz each time.

But while browsing I noticed an Atmos mix of Rumors was available also. I went to that for a bit of comparison. I selected the Buckingham tracks and was amazed at how much better the mix and the fidelity was. I've had the Rumors DVDA since release. I haven't compared the stream to the 5.1 rip yet, but my guess is the stream does it justice. It will be interesting to compare the full on Atmos version.

On the plus side, I think some of the material is very listenable. I think it could be a grower. Not crazy about the drum machines. I'd be hard pressed to go higher than a 7 on this if it were a poll.
I think this is a good Atmos mix, the same with Rumours. 5.1 will not give it all, I think. :cool:

I think this is a good Atmos mix, the same with Rumours. 5.1 will not give it all, I think. :cool:
Ill be sure to re-listen when the Atmos pre/pro arrives. But I will say that there are plenty of Atmos tracks I've played that downmix to 5.1 in great fashion. For me, this material doesn't.

@AYanguas hears very little in the height channels, so I don't understand how full on Atmos playback is going to improve it much.

Ill be sure to re-listen when the Atmos pre/pro arrives. But I will say that there are plenty of Atmos tracks I've played that downmix to 5.1 in great fashion. For me, this material doesn't.

@AYanguas hears very little in the height channels, so I don't understand how full on Atmos playback is going to improve it much.
I'm with you, but sitting in my listening chair it sounds good to me. :cool: Many of these Atmos mixes are unfortunately weak in the heights. Of the newer ones, Saxon-Karpe Diem stands out with blasting guitars in the heights, and I like the music to.;)

just trying the new Rumours Atmos and it feels like all new mixes and mastering and not a rehash of the 5.1? either way it sounds great and maybe better than i remember the DVD-A sounding!? definitely different panning and placement and maybe even different elements used on a few tracks, i was half expecting it to be the 5.1 plus some height stuff tbh! 🤯

Last edited:
just trying the new Rumours Atmos and it feels like all new mixes and mastering and not a rehash of the 5.1? either way it sounds great and maybe better than i remember the DVD-A sounding!? definitely different panning and placement and maybe even different elements used on a few tracks, i was half expecting it to be the 5.1 plus some height stuff tbh! 🤯
Hey Fredblue, I just posted about the Rumours DVD-A—does the Atmos mix rebalance the lead vocals and maybe bring them out more/remove some of that added reverb?
Goshdarnit man, am I really going to have to pony up for this spatial streaming craze??🤑

Back