Liquid Tension Experiment 3 in 5.1 (Mar 26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my shipping notice from the Century Media US store. 👍

I got my shipping notice from them Monday, but it's the new business model of printing a label and notifying the customer.
It didn't get to the post office until yesterday, with delivery expected Wednesday.

The bonus of ordering from them is I got the link to the mp3 downloads at midnight.
Good news there.
I downloaded Rhapsody In Blue, no brickwalling in the stereo waveform.
Played it in DPL II, impressed with the musicianship.

Jaw hit the floor at 6:50 when Tony Levin dropped in a lick on the Chapman Stick, the opening riff from Elephant Talk.
🐘🐘🐘🐘

They released it today on YT.

Interesting context for me, since I just watched parts of the old 1930 King Of Jazz movie on TCM with the most square, whitebread version imaginable from the buffoonish bandleader Paul (Whiter Than White) Whiteman.
But credit to him, he commissioned Gershwin to write it for his orchestra and paid him well.

So now I'll have both the D-V quad Michael Tilson - Gershwin piano roll orchestral and the LTE rock band version in surround.

:51QQ

Found this quote from Leonard Bernstein:

Rhapsody in Blue is not a real composition in the sense that whatever happens in it must seem inevitable, or even pretty inevitable.
You can cut out parts of it without affecting the whole in any way except to make it shorter.
You can remove any of these stuck-together sections and the piece still goes on as bravely as before.
You can even interchange these sections with one another and no harm done.
You can make cuts within a section, or add new cadenzas, or play it with any combination of instruments or on the piano alone; it can be a five-minute piece or a six-minute piece or a twelve-minute piece.
And in fact all these things are being done to it every day.
It's still the Rhapsody in Blue.

Listening to this on Tidal and WOW! As @Bill B said the 5.1 will be “icing” 🔥

700CE3CE-85CD-44AE-8B3C-C5404F8B920B.jpeg

Mine arrived today from Century Media / Inside Out, Beautifully packaged and completely mint condition. No discs floating around. The box was so much bigger than I expected, I thought momentarily that Plastic Ono Band might have arrived early.

The music is great, my first experience with LTE. I can see myself grooving away with it. The mix is not great, but I like it better than Mouser's mix of Ultimate Universe, I may have to try pumping the rears for this one then trying Transatlantic again.

I'm happy they had a semi-deluxe version. The book is beautiful with a good essay and commentary on every track by each band member, However with the download link for all 13 tracks the CDs are redundant.

Last edited:
I've found out that there are only a few LFE (low frequency effects) and there is no LFE (low frequency extension). That means, you can omit your subwoofer or do a SUB-downmix to enhance low end.
So it's more or less a 5.0 mix.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the surround mix, at least from a "visual" standpoint. I just received my box yesterday after a crazy USPS shipping route. I have not been able to give it a proper listen at home, but I did rip the Blu-ray audio and took a peek at the tracks in Audacity. There is no LFE channel. Well, there is, but there's nothing on it other than an occasional blip. So M-K is correct: this is essentially a 5.0 mix. That being said, I am still looking forward to listening to this at home on a proper set-up.

Anyone else getting a bit of distortion on the blu-ray stereo mix about a couple of minutes in on "Rhapsody in Blue"? It's not there on the surround mixes!

Anyone else getting a bit of distortion on the blu-ray stereo mix about a couple of minutes in on "Rhapsody in Blue"? It's not there on the surround mixes!

Wow. Yes! At about 48 seconds, I get some static lasting 5 or 6 seconds. Almost like surface noise from vinyl. I haven't listened beyond this, but I can confirm. Unacceptable. Very unfortunate, because the music is fantastic!

Must be destiny. I was listening to Tidal at work, and Liquid Tension popped up as a suggestion, never heard of before, listened and really liked it. PM'ed @JanBakker asked him if he ever heard, yes of course. Then today I notice this thread, interesting.
I ordered the 2 CD 1 Blu Ray from Amazon US says will arrive between May 3-7.
91ZtqYH2WKL._SL1500_.jpg

Finally got around to listen to LTE 3. I really dig the music and visuals so far. I wish there was a little more in the rears. I must say I really do like the art book format. I love having the large piece of artwork. So impressive in appearance. It’s like having a sturdy album jacket. I think I might like it more than the format JT and Marillion are using for their deluxe editions. I need see if QQ has a thread on preferred packaging format. It would be fun to read about everyone’s preference

Must be destiny. I was listening to Tidal at work, and Liquid Tension popped up as a suggestion, never heard of before, listened and really liked it. PM'ed @JanBakker asked him if he ever heard, yes of course. Then today I notice this thread, interesting.
I ordered the 2 CD 1 Blu Ray from Amazon US says will arrive between May 3-7.
View attachment 66338
I can't find the blu-ray version on Amazon. I just received the two-CD version, thinking the second disc contained the 5.1. :mad: My fault for not doing my homework. Even InsideOut is showing it as sold out.

Finally got around to listen to LTE 3. I really dig the music and visuals so far. I wish there was a little more in the rears. I must say I really do like the art book format. I love having the large piece of artwork. So impressive in appearance. It’s like having a sturdy album jacket. I think I might like it more than the format JT and Marillion are using for their deluxe editions. I need see if QQ has a thread on preferred packaging format. It would be fun to read about everyone’s preference
I agree. So I did remix it a little bit, adjusting front to rear balance a bit and adding bass management to get the low end onto my subwoofer. Now it's fine for me.

Still waiting for this to be sent by Burning Shed, here in the UK
I sent them an email yesterday, asking for an update,
They replied today: 'We are still waiting for this release to arrive at Burning Shed'
:unsure::censored:
I wonder what the problem is?
Update
Just received an email from Pete at Burning Shed:

'We are sorry to say that due to delivery problems between the EU and the UK the release date for this particular format of the LTE3 release has been put back to 7th of May 2021'.

There we are then.

At least we now know.

Last edited:
Still waiting for this to be sent by Burning Shed, here in the UK
I sent them an email yesterday, asking for an update,
They replied today: 'We are still waiting for this release to arrive at Burning Shed'
:unsure::censored:
I wonder what the problem is?
Update
Just received an email from Pete at Burning Shed:

'We are sorry to say that due to delivery problems between the EU and the UK the release date for this particular format of the LTE3 release has been put back to 7th of May 2021'.

There we are then.

At least we now know.
Thanks, that explains why the delivery date for Amazon Canada is May 7th.

Back