List of stereo recordings that sound great in quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to add the soundtrack of I Heart Huckabees. It's a room filler.

Dolby Pro Logic II Music
Panorama on
C. Image 0.0
CT width 7
Dimension STD (or 0 I guess)

The League Unlimited Orchestra: Love & Dancing

Dolby Pro Logic II Music
Panorama: off
Centre Image: 0.0
CT width: 7
Dimension: -3

Blood, Sweat & Tears 2nd album (the self-titled) sounds amazing when decoded in Quad or 5.1! Vocals in the center, horns, effects and parts of the drums in the rears... Try it!

I used a program working with the Foobar media player called FreeSurround v.0.9 and the Mobile Fidelity CD, though it will probably work with any other copy. FreeSurround is the equivalent of a Dolby Prologic II decoder.

Gave this one a listen last night and you are right, this one sounds great in surround. I am going from the stereo SACD to 4.0 using foobar to playback and downsample to pcm 44.1 and then the software from my soundcard converts to SRS Circle Surround. Never enjoyed this one as much...

Lenny Kravitz: It' Ain't Over 'Til It's Over b/w The Difference is Why (7" vinyl)

High level info in the rears on both sides. On It Ain't Over... there is a very high level electric piano (verging on intrusively so) in the rears, amongst other things. On the b-side the guitar riff is very high in the rears.

Dolby Pro Logic II Music
Panorama: off

Boney M.: Nightflight to Venus (vinyl)

Consistently good, some surprising reverb from the intro of the first track in rear left. Drums on first track don't work very well in this mode. If you've got the album, try it out!

Dolby Pro Logic II Music
Panorama: on

Kraftwerk: Radioactivity

Good imaging.

Dolby Pro Logic II Music

Bangles: All Over The Place

Great might not be the word, but there's a huge amount in the rear channels. Dolby Pro Logic II Music

I hate to sound like a one trick pony but have to vote for The Alan Parsons Project I Robot with Dolby PLII Music. I just updated to the most recent re-master of the CD (better late than never!) and played this today. The title track is very three-dimensional and the rest of the album does not lag far behind.

Last edited:
I hate to sound like a one trick pony but have to vote for The Alan Parsons Project I Robot with Dolby PLII Music. I just updated to the most recent re-master of the CD (better late than never!) and played this today. The title track is very three-dimensional and the rest of the album does not lag far behind.

That remaster is reportedly very compressed. You may get even better results with another version.

I wanna know why the German 45-RPM maxi-single cut at Teldec has the most rear-channel information of not only any other LP master - including the German LP from which it came - but every other CD master I have ever heard as well - including the supposedly matrix-friendly remix for the 24 karat gold CD where it says they ``opened up the soundfield for greater immersion in the music''.

That remaster is reportedly very compressed. You may get even better results with another version.

Thank you for the comment. I misspoke and actually got the 2007 "bonus tracks" version, not the most recent 2013 "Legacy Edition". I was reading comments on both of them over on Amazon prior to purchase and I understood the Legacy was very compressed, so got the other one. Hope I made the right choice but regardless, it sounds great to me.

As an aside, I still have the original vinyl I bought in '77 which I copied to CD years ago and subsequently uploaded to my computer when I first got an iPod. I've been listening to that "digital" version for years now, complete with some pops and hiss. Decided to treat myself and get a good copy; a well spent $5! LOL!

I wanna know why the German 45-RPM maxi-single cut at Teldec has the most rear-channel information of not only any other LP master - including the German LP from which it came - but every other CD master I have ever heard as well - including the supposedly matrix-friendly remix for the 24 karat gold CD where it says they ``opened up the soundfield for greater immersion in the music''.

I'm not sure what title you're talking about but I still have some answers. ;)

Is it possible the 45 is a different mix?

If the CDs were incorrectly transfered, it is possible you might lose some phase information, thus rendering decoding less precise, but it may be a stretch.

Also, if they played with phase on the Gold CD reissue to "open up the soundfield", it is possible they lost the exact stereo placement in the mix that made the decoding successful.

Beach Boys

Keeping Summer Alive

I brought the LP it said that they were recording in full stereo
and have spacial effects
I played it through the Surround Master and it gave a very good surround effect
I wonder if they were using Spatializer I seam to remember that one of the beach Boys had money in the development of it
Does anyone know about this?

Another gem from the Disneyland label that performs superbly in SQ mode (especially if you have full-logic) is Tutti's Trumpets Disneyland STER-3011. I tried this on my Sony SQD-2020 and viewing the monitors, I could swear the lead trumpet and brass section were coming from rear channels while other instruments remained in the fronts. This is really magical for a stereo recording thanks to engineers Val Valetin and Charlie de land Faent.

The album is still available on Itunes and on CD.

Radio KAOS upmixed to 5.1 using SPECWEB and played back in quad. Well worth the effort. I used the 24 bit download as the source. The first track I tried using this method was Zep's In The Light and it came out very nice, but KAOS has been the best full album so far. One highlight is on Me or Him at the end where you hear "Do You Think the Russians would Have Invaded Afghanistan If Ronald Regan Was President". Very pronounced in the rears only.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts is incredible with the Spec Web upmix. Never heard of the band before but a thread over at shf mentioned the album in the all time top progressive list so I gave it a go. If you have never taken the time to upmix an album, start with this one, you will not be disappointed! I used the SACD for the conversion using jRiver and the SpecWeb helper on the standard settigs.

Back