• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

List of stereo recordings that sound great in quad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

tcdriver

Since 2002/2003
Neil Diamond, Tap Root Manuscript - MCA MCAD-37196

This title is already on the master list as sounding good with played through the SQ-W decoder. It also sounds pretty good played through a Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder, however; it sounds phenomenal when played through a Circle Surround (SRS) decoder.

Philip Spinner

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I just finished listening to all 16 lp's in the George Harrison box set. I started with the newest first and worked my way backwards. The results through the surround master were acceptable on many but then I played Wonderwall and holy moly, it sounded like true 4 channel. Electronic music decoded well also but Wonderwall was a real eye opener. Check it out if you have it.

I've been meaning to mention this one for quite a while: Billy Idol - Cyberpunk.

His music is not everyone's style, and this album is not classic Billy Idol. The album wasn't well received on many fronts either. But has a lot sonically going on and it expanded well through a QSD-1 in synthesized surround mode. It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember the audio piece between "Wasteland" (track 2) and "Shock to the System" (track 3) really opened up and I heard pieces of recordings I hadn't heard so clearly before, and I think the closing audio piece after the last song ("Mother Dawn") also did the same.

Quadwreck

Since 2002/2003
Try Joe South's "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" in QS, all four channels come alive, it really sounds like it was intended to be so.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
If you have A Step Further by Savoy Brown give the track "Where Am I" a spin in DPL or QS . It should move in a circular motion front to rear towards the end of the tune . Bongos in surround !

I used this cd version .

20170818_204843.jpg20170818_204833.jpg

~dave~~wave~

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
If you have A Step Further by Savoy Brown give the track "Where Am I" a spin in DPL or QS . It should move in a circular motion front to rear towards the end of the tune . Bongos in surround !

Wow, thanks for the heads up, sounds amazing in PLIIM on my rig.

I've had the 1990 Deram USA CD for decades, heard the LP a lot in the early 70s.
Years beyond the release date, it was in heavy rotation at friends' pads.

The side-long, Canned-Heatish live boogie medley got more play.
Simmonds' opening over-driven chords, Chris Youlden's incantations to the crowd...

The studio side with horns & strings is impressively recorded & engineered.
In stereo it's a very wide field, hard-panned, sometimes to "even wider than the speakers" effect.

Matrix decoding dramatically steers much wonderful discreteness to the rears on all the tracks.

:51banana:

Is it common knowledge, the matrix effect on this 1969 release?
Was it original to the first pressings?
Quite advanced and cutting-edge for the time, it seems.

Delighted to hear it this way almost 50 years on.
That's +2 today on QQ discovering new surround gems in existing releases. :sun

BeoProf

I am using the surround synthetizer on my Sansui QRX 7001 and feeding Tidal Hi-Fi through AUX: so far anything by Spyro Gyra and Joe Satriani sounded really great! Lots of action in the back channels!!!