List your subwoofer and its limitations /strengths

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
List your subwoofer
None
and its limitations
None
/strengths
(see above)

Actually I did once own a sub-woofer.
It came with my TV sound bar.
It sounded ghastly.
I took it to the dump.
That's like using a Best Buy HT in a box as your barometer for surround sound. It's kind of absurd.

I'm thinking the idea here was to generate shopping suggestions?

So... this probably will not be helpful...

Main home theater system: Dual 10" subs as part of the AR 9 front speakers.

Pros: I'm able to calibrate the speaker array to be accurate and flat with no drops or bumps anywhere.

Cons: These are literally built into the front speaker towers so they're stacked PA style. That means you cannot place the subs in a more optimal position in the room. That leads to a couple hot spots for bass vs making the sweet spot your hot spot. Bass creeps up against the back wall (back row behind the listening position).

Small PA system:
4 18" EV subs.

Pros: They work. Didn't pay a lot.

Cons: Not great bang for the buck for their size and weight.

Planning on DIY build speakers for the home and studio in the near future.

Haha. Those cardboard sound bar thingies from Worst Purchase and the equally ridiculous "subwoofers" they sell with them... Yeah, you're not going to be able to dial any of that in. Landfill is probably best. (But now we're polluting... ) Don't pay more than $5

Last edited:
I have no limitations in my woofers 10 AR LST speakers 40 tweeters 40 mids 10 12 inch woofers can be used to restart your heart driven with five 2400 watt crown amps don't believe in sub woofers
WOW!

Heh. Yep, if you have enough headroom in your mains, speaker manage that Lfe channel into the front L,R pair and call it a day!

The main channels in surround format ARE full range after all. At the end of the day, you want a calibrated flat speaker array with whatever speaker configuration you go with.

If we wanted to get really snobby purist, that would be 5 two way speakers with probably 12" woofers right? Have only one cross over point to fuss over. :)

Just sharing a couple of ideas that might be helpful. I have the big brother (Defiance X12) to what you're looking at-- in a small room and am very impressed. The X series comes with the microphone for the ARC program, which for my room made a big improvement. It looks like you're in a big city area, so if you have the time, it might be worth going in person to authorized Paradigm dealers and asking for their best price. I found more range than I expected...

I have no limitations in my woofers 10 AR LST speakers 40 tweeters 40 mids 10 12 inch woofers can be used to restart your heart driven with five 2400 watt crown amps don't believe in sub woofers

Ten AR-LST's...NEAT!!! Would love to hear your rig, but we're on opposite coasts. I'm using AR9's for the fronts, AR90's for the surrounds, AR915 for the the center plus Boston A70's along for the ride as the rears. So that's a total of five 12" woofers, four 10" woofers and two 8" woofers. No need for subs as the LFE is also routed to the 9 largest woofers. RoundhouseQuad, have you ever sent a pic of your five pairs of stacked LST's to Marsi? That would get his blood boiling! ;)

I'm thinking the idea here was to generate shopping suggestions?

Nope, just always curious to see what everybody ends up with and if they are happy with it. I've built 20+ subs through the years and used lots of drivers always finding ones that sound better and have better displacement than the previous ones. Last one I built was 8ft long with (4) 18 inch drivers in it, tuned to 16hz. On to the next one though as the old saying goes, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison "

FYI, I emailed Bill to ask for more information on the Sunfire sub service he provides. This is his reply:

Hi Paul;
My service is more like an overhaul than a repair. Every electrolytic capacitor in the unit is replaced/updated with either Panasonic or Nichicon long life, low ESR caps. All 3 rotary controls are replaced, regardless of their condition, any missing factory updates are installed and I have an update of my own that greatly reduces the 60 Hz hum that this model is plagued with. Usually I wind up replacing over 60 parts. If all the fuses are intact then the cost is $275.00 plus return shipping and handling. If any of the 3 fuses is burned open then the cost increases to $325 + S&H because the final stage output transistors and switching power supply mosfets are usually shorted. I offer a one year parts and labor warranty, my turnaround time is approximately 3 to 4 weeks right now. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards
For those that might be considering this, I have sent out my Sunfire amp plate to Bill at Flannery's Vintage Audio for refurbishment. I should have it back in about a month or so. I'll report back after I receive it with an update regarding how it all went.

For those that might be considering this, I have sent out my Sunfire amp plate to Bill at Flannery's Vintage Audio for refurbishment. I should have it back in about a month or so. I'll report back after I receive it with an update regarding how it all went.
I may consider this too. It’s time to get this sub back home to see how well it works. I wonder if he replaces the hard-wired a/c cord with an IEC power jack? I had my enclosure replaced by Sunfire once, not too long after I purchased it, and it did eventually start to crack again a few years later. I put some silicone along the crack and it seems to be holding up.

I've never heard of that speaker manufacturer...

SVS Sound. They are really big in the internet direct subwoofer business. Their products are very very well reputed. Solid customer services etc. Some of the Magnolia stores in Best Buy have now started carry some of their products. Pretty much all their subwoofers provide solid value for money, great output for the size etc.

You can check out www.data-bass.com/ for measurements of a variety of subwoofers, including DIY ones. While I really like Paradigm products, I would strongly encourage you to look at some of these internet direct companies.

You could also look at some of the subwoofer reviews at www.audioholics.com

It is interesting to see how poorly many of the audiophile brands subwoofers compare to these.

I've never heard of that speaker manufacturer...

To further add: Free shipping both ways (purchase and return if you don't like it) . Really no risk to try out.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/bill-of-rights

Also let me add in the disclaimer: I have no financial interest in them and do not own their product. I am just a very impressed consumer and would be very happy to own their products.( though my next set of SWs are more than likely to be DIYs).

I have an SVS 20-39 PC-Plus. It is a cylinder subwoofer. I have had it for over 10 years. SVS has been in the subwoofer market a very long time.

Here is a brief review on CNET.

I have been quite happy with it. It is the only part of my system I haven't upgraded in the last 10 years, which says something. But... I am kind of getting the itch to upgrade. I have been looking at Rythmik subs, but since I live in Canada it is quite an investment (in either time or money) to get one over the border. I can't "try before buying" either. I know they have a good return policy, but of course that is also difficult in Canada. If anyone else has upgraded from an SVS to Rythmik I'd love to hear about your experience!

To further add: Free shipping both ways (purchase and return if you don't like it) . Really no risk to try out.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/bill-of-rights

Also let me add in the disclaimer: I have no financial interest in them and do not own their product. I am just a very impressed consumer and would be very happy to own their products.( though my next set of SWs are more than likely to be DIYs).

I took them up on the 45 day in home trial and ended up with the Ultra bookshelfs so I can vouch for their return policy. No problema(y)

Recently the Peerless Tymphany driver that is used in the SVS Ultra was sent to Klippel(the most accurate driver testing method currently available ) to be tested. SVS states that it has 78 mm peak to peak xmax, but Klippel found out it only had 12 mm of travel, nothing like deception in marketing, anything to sell more products and increase profits, and the Sheeple always trust the manufacturers specs.

Last edited:
Back