Listening now to this cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just because I still listen to cassettes in my car.....thought I would start this. Although I have recorded lots of cassettes from records and CDs lets limit this to commercial prerecorded cassettes. Or not.
Another possible thread is cassette releases with extra tracks on them compared to the records. A couple that come to mind are John Mellencamp Lonesome Jubilee and Scarecrow that each have an extra song tagged on at the end. Cassette singles could fit in too
Anyways currently listening to Zoso in my car. Prior to that The Who Its Hard

Here, Vintage Stock sells used AND new prerecorded compact cassettes, a quick check of the cassette boxes showed no Dolby logos.

I use a Sony Boombox (headphone output connected to my basement surround sound system) to listen to my cassettes at home [no car player], my most recent prerecorded cassette purchase is Lizzo - Special which I listened to quite a bit.

I have 1 Dolby Surround encoded cassette (Dolby S NR also), I'll have to see how DS decoding works without Dolby S NR decoding.

Beginning in 1984-10, I only bought albums/singles on compact cassettes or CDs [my turntable was packed away from 1984-10 to 1988-08].

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Diving through my old box of tapes. Found the infamous 1938 War of the Worlds radio drama by Orson Welles. So well made! No wonder some people thought it was real
20230406_122107.jpg

Led zep 2 digilog tape with dolby S. Sounds great. Also fleetwood mac tape 3 in a 4 tape digilog cassette set. "Tricycle" dmp products cassette (blow's your socks off man). Played in my pioneer stereo set up with sx 950 receiver ct f700 cassete deck, sg 9800 eq, rt707 reel and jbl L110's. btw I have 2 ctf 1250 decks and the 700 beats em both hands down.

Last edited:
Please šŸ™ no homebrew cassettes. Thanks, in advance.

I bought no more than 100 prerecorded cassettes over 20 years. Most were sealed cutouts as cassettes were being phased out. I did buy a few dozen prerecorded titles from '69 -'73.

Have several dubs from 7 1/2 and 15 ips NAB reels of friends' rock and jazz groups. They were gifted to me by band members. I have no legal right to them. I could claim it, but I recorded them at the gigs expressly for the bands. I have no right to give their music away.

My first prerecorded cassette was in January '69. It was the same day I bought my first cassette machine. At Your Birthday Party by Steppenwolf had just hit the street. It was an Ampex duplication, made a few miles from my home:

https://www.discogs.com/release/13763944-Steppenwolf-At-Your-Birthday-Party

I have digitized all of my purchased cassettes except for two SSTV (slow-scan television) tapes, and they are definitely not music!

The tapes I usually bought were from musicians who didnā€™t have the wherewithall to get LPs pressed. They woult typically have public gigs and sell tapes to those who liked what they heard. Of course, once anyone with a PC could produce CDs, the cassettes were no longer financially necessary.

Some recent cassettes I have listened to in the car...factory cd tape combo not of the quality of the aftermarket decks I used to buy.....

Stanley Turrentine Jubilee Shout on Cobalt Cs-1 tape with dolby hx pro and nr

Ric Ocasek This Side Of Paradise dolby B

The Long Ryders Two Fisted Tales Dolby hx pro B
The Long Ryders State Of The Union same

Some recent cassettes I have listened to in the car...factory cd tape combo not of the quality of the aftermarket decks I used to buy.....

Stanley Turrentine Jubilee Shout on Cobalt Cs-1 tape with dolby hx pro and nr

Ric Ocasek This Side Of Paradise dolby B

The Long Ryders Two Fisted Tales Dolby hx pro B
The Long Ryders State Of The Union same
Well, I suppose, Jeffie, driving in LA is perfect for the cassette medium traveling @ 1 7/8 ips! šŸŒ

Good one 4ears and so true
Now that spring has returned with freeway chases of escaping criminals I'll have more time to spin those slow speed aural delights in stopped traffic.

Good one 4ears and so true
Now that spring has returned with freeway chases of escaping criminals I'll have more time to spin those slow speed aural delights in stopped traffic.
And put up with the thumping car behind you! The sounds of summer in LA!

Listening to this in the car:

Rampal/Bolling Suite For Flute & Jazz Piano
Extended Range on chromium Dioxide Tape

It does sound good.
A fantastic album, Jefe! Bought it on LP, CBS 1/2 speed and CD. ESSENTIAL!!
LOVE LOVE this treasure of an album./ Saw it performed LIVE at Carnegie Hall. Could only hope Michael Dutton could get ahold of the masters and perform his miraculous conversion into QUAD or just release it as a Stereo SACD!

Speaking of Jean~Pierre Rampal, his collaboration with harpist Lily Laskine in a magnificent pairing on this exquisite 'cassette' [dolby b] from CBS Masterworks simply entitled MUSIC FOR FLUTE AND HARP ..... HAUTINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

R.23be3e3abee6a61edcfa54d2f858932d

Well 4ears time to break out your turntable and cassette deck and put them back into service. Reach into your closet and pull them out.
You know you want to.

Well 4ears time to break out your turntable and cassette deck and put them back into service. Reach into your closet and pull them out.
You know you want to.
My Nakamichi cassette deck and Sota Sapphire TT are in deep storage, Jeffie, and I have NO desire to return to either ....... That's why I invested in a SOTA digital system ....... no more HISS [from Cassettes] and ticks, pops and swishes from Vinyl ......... THERE'S ENOUGH NOISE OUT THERE!

Back