Listening now to this cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opted for a bit cheaper solution: dbx II simultaneous play/rec and an h/k 3 head, 3 motor w/B. C & hx pro. Bet my dbx cassettes are less noisy than many of your equivalent CD's. Not so compatible, I grant you.
I also went the DBX route even for Vinyl but the DBX encoded disc selection was 'sparse' at best. Also applied it to cassette recordings. Still, QL, 1.7/8 IPS from 15 or 30 ips masters is still a STRETCH.

We sold BASF at Pacific. Also TDK, MAXELL and Pacific Stereo brand, our private label cassettes and reels. Made for us by Ampex.

I used BASF FeCr for a while. They could easily get dropouts. I switched to a deck which could record on the new metal particle tape. Went back to TDK & Maxell.

Deface the Music - Utopia
Best of Lightnin Hopkins

Pacific Stereo brand, our private label cassettes and reels. Made for us by Ampex.
I have exactly one Pacific Stereo by Ampex reel...and it's the only one out of hundreds I own that clearly needs to be baked. And, of course, what's on it is an irreplaceable one-off. Grumble.

What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
Inherited this from a Friend's Dad. First time I'm playing this tape. It is in a clear plastic case. Tape has Ampex paper labels and likely came in a soft black plastic snap case. No nr...

Reactions: GOS
What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
Inherited this from a Friend's Dad. First time I'm playing this tape. It is in a clear plastic case. Tape has Ampex paper labels and likely came in a soft black plastic snap case. No nr...
A couple years ago I digitized a few of those Ampex cassettes, which I had gotten for Chr*stm*s circa 1972. All but one played fine, the one that didn't just needed to be mounted in a new shell, after which it played perfectly.

I'm in the process of digitizing all my cassettes recorded from radio, mainly interviews with Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and Floyd. "Innerview" w/ Jim Ladd, Off the Record with Mary Turner, and Rockline mainly. But I have some Labor Day specials where they run down an entire band career (Stones) with the songs and albums interspersed with interview clips. I plan on using this content on YT. I also have the Roger Waters special where he runs down every track from The Wall album. The Stones interview and listening to the Emotional Rescue album.

I want to get rid of my tapes. And I just sold all of my TDK and Maxell cassettes for $1.50 each plus media shipping. After tossing out the ones with signs of wear, I had 130 tapes and it took me 30min. to find a buyer. So I just made $180 on used TDK and Maxell. Many were SA and SA-X, and XLII-S top of the line.

So anyway, I found a really cool tape stashed away in the collection which just got transferred to digital. A Holophonics by Zuccarelli Labs official demo. Cool effects in surround. But get this, there are three cuts (not found elsewhere) of Lee Oskar the harmonica player from War included. I must have fished this out of the used bin for .50 at some point. And nobody has up'd it to YouTube, so I have something cool here to put up on my channel.

Lots of cool bits I have come across. I have a Bud Light commercial by Adrian Belew (taped from mid-80s radio) which I don't think anyone has up'd yet. Some cool things.

I might even have a short Dylan interview of him discussing his new album on Columbia called Blood on the Tracks.

It's going to be fun clearing out the clutter, transferring and uploading a ton of unique recordings if I can stay one step ahead of the heat.

Last edited:
Bought my 1st used prerecorded cassette at a Vintage Stock store on the 60th anniversary (2023-08-30) of the intro of the compact cassette - Loggins & Messina Full Sail (Dolby B NR + it has the advisory about turning down the treble when listening on non-Dolby equip.).

A quick listening check using DPL 2 music - reasonably good fake surround sound when played on a Sony CFD-S70 boombox (without Dolby B NR), the sound quality is pretty good for being about 1/2 century old.

Kirk Bayne

20231103_163536.jpg

This is the first Beatles cassette I've ever bought!
I held off listening to the song yesterday so I could fire up the ol' tape deck. The song is... quite nice. I'm sure it means a lot to Paul and Ringo, so I'm happy for them 😊

Back