Listening Now To This Stereo Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I listen to and love stereo, so I wanted to start a new thread as there are quite a few stereo Blu Rays,.
Listening now to and audiophile reference BD stereo disc.
2015 Gregory Porter- Liquid Spirit released 6/23/15 from the HFPA series, now seems to be defunct. 24/96 of course.
51QMNCjhnaL.jpg

I listen to and love stereo, so I wanted to start a new thread as there are quite a few stereo Blu Rays,.
Listening now to and audiophile reference BD stereo disc.
2015 Gregory Porter- Liquid Spirit released 6/23/15 from the HFPA series, now seems to be defunct. 24/96 of course.
View attachment 54974

UNIVERSAL JAPAN released about three dozen exceptional JAZZ and Classical BD~A Stereo discs [192/24], which IMO, sounded better than either their U.S. counterparts and EVEN some of the Analogue Production Stereo SACD remasters from the Blue Note, Riverside and Impulse labels and Decca and DGG Classical labels. Ironically, since they didn't sell well, CDJapan was literally 'blowing them out' for under $10US. They did come with OBI strips and I put them in elongated poly sleeves to preserve the OBIs.

See the source image

Sadly, they're ALL OOP!

See the source image
PROZ-4015.jpg
PROC-4003.jpg

Last edited:
3CB8E779-A281-4DD4-A35C-77802EC5F34E.jpeg
Love and Rockets - Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
Very good album, slightly ethereal mid 80’s pop. The sound a bit bright in places, mainly on The Dog-End of a Day Gone By, but there is a nice 3 dimensionality to the soundstage overall

Last edited:
Listening to the corrected speed from Blu Ray Disc 21, 24/48 Heaven and Earth ProjkctX. King Crimson-Heaven and Earth Box Set.
Stereo. This box set is so massive, don't know if I'll ever hear it all, and if I do I probably won't remember that I did. Good music to wake up to.
R-13731185-1559936138-7641.jpeg.jpg

E86B4AD7-084F-465B-A94F-FBA98D40BB7F.jpeg

Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite

10 tracks remixed by Steven Wilson, with the original mixes of their first three albums in their entirety.
I like this music much better than later albums. The SW remixes sound incredible making one wish the multi tracks were available for all the songs.
The original mixes sound good for their age in 24/96 LPCM

AAE7CE5D-FD6D-4892-9E1C-631DF1076A49.jpeg

XTC - Skylarking
Maybe their most famous album.
Haven’t played the CD or the MoFi in a long time but must confess this is the first time an XTC Blu-Ray hasn’t totally thrilled me. The music is fine, but the sound is a bit too bright.
Is that Rundgren’s production or the SW remix? I assumed the former until I played the two original mixes. In some ways I prefer them.

View attachment 63238
XTC - Skylarking
Maybe their most famous album.
Haven’t played the CD or the MoFi in a long time but must confess this is the first time an XTC Blu-Ray hasn’t totally thrilled me. The music is fine, but the sound is a bit too bright.
Is that Rundgren’s production or the SW remix? I assumed the former until I played the two original mixes. In some ways I prefer them.

As an afterthought I played the instrumental version of the album.
Wow, what a different and great listening experience!
It really lets the arrangements shine through and, though maybe it’s just my imagination, it sounds less edgy and fuller than the mix with vocals.

Last edited:
2913149D-2335-4125-979C-6FCAA5133824.jpeg

Steven Wilson - To the Bone

I’m told his new album The Future Bites is more commercial than his past recordings.
I can’t imagine it being more commercial than this.
Mostly gone are the deep atmospheric sounds and epic tunes in favour of busy arrangements and poppy melodies. A lot of it (the first half especially) sounds like your typical overproduced modern rock album.
It’s not terrible, some of the later songs are quite good but overall, in comparison to previous albums, a disappointment IMHO.
(I am a big Steven Wilson fan BTW, so no axes to grind)

Edit: I back up a bit after playing the instrumental tracks. Still don’t like the “sound” but enjoying the songs more sans vocals

Last edited:
Back