Listening Now To This Stereo Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5485424D-6615-4473-9631-D6F58B268175.jpeg
Styx - The Mission

24/96 LPCM Stereo (5.1 is on here too)
This is way better than I expected.
Sounds like a classic Styx album and the Mission to Mars theme works.
Nice surprise.

View attachment 75851
Styx - The Mission

24/96 LPCM Stereo (5.1 is on here too)
This is way better than I expected.
Sounds like a classic Styx album and the Mission to Mars theme works.
Nice surprise.

I haven't heard the 5.1 mix, but I too was very surprised at how good this album is. Best Styx album since Paradise Theater imo.

C516C29E-7E84-4494-B6BD-0014EDAC27CA.jpeg
Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point

OK, this Blu-ray isn’t stereo, but I listened to the DTS-MA 5.1 downmixed to stereo.
Sounds just fine this way, supposedly better than the CD. The Dolby Atmos didn’t work as well downmixed.
Starts slow (the first track is the weakest) but it gets better after that.
A worthy addition to their catalog.

8E264216-A316-48EB-90A8-12AAE85D95BA.jpeg
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Like this sprawling album but the opening track, Driftin’ Back, though good, didn’t need to be 27:49 long LOL
Not sure how much the 24/192 resolution helps the sound. Guess I’d have to compare to the CD to know for sure. Not complaining, it manages to be murky and clear at the same time, suits the music.

A88A2E8F-75FE-47C0-9A24-61BFC7B907B8.jpeg
Jimi Hendrix Experience -
Electric Ladyland

What a sprawling and interesting album, most of which I’d never heard until now.
Love the majority of it especially 1983 (Merman..).

The stereo sound on this Bluray has been maligned in some circles. Not knowing most of the music I have no reference to compare.
Some of it sounds great, some sounds like it’s from 1967, high end not clean.
As an experiment I let my Cambridge downmix the two multichannel versions to 2.0.
The uncompressed LPCM sounds darker, the illusion is of less soundstage and reverb.
Not bad, just quite different.
DTS is a lot closer to the natural stereo but with more bass.
Haven’t decided yet which of the three presentations I prefer.

How come you didn't buy the 5.1 version back then? If I recall, it really was't much money. I have the vinyl too, and it sounds killer.

Gene, RANG likes to play his SURROUND BD~As in Stereo ...... There is no other version out there on BD except for the BD~A 5.1 which also contains a stereo remix!

Maybe it's a Canuk thingy!

How come you didn't buy the 5.1 version back then? If I recall, it really was't much money. I have the vinyl too, and it sounds killer.

I think the 5.1 mix came out after the album, if I recall? I definitely could be wrong. I would like to get it though. I'm going to see them in a few months with Loverboy and REO Speedwagon.

FE496E6F-4906-450B-9DB0-978F3249EC62.jpeg

Brian Eno - FOREVERANDEVERNOMORE

Fifth release in the SDE surround Blu-ray series.
Playing in 24/48 LPCM Stereo (don’t have facilities to play the multichannel Atmos mix).
I like a lot of ambient music, but this one isn’t clicking with me.

6AA3B93D-5060-4E8A-B1B0-ED6737C7A0D1.jpeg

Shakespears Sister - Hormonally Yours

I sampled the big hit Stay before buying. Didn’t like it but threw down my money anyway. And thank God I did, this album is awesome. Sounds amazing in 24/96 stereo LPCM.
Knew Siobhan had come from Banarama, but had no idea Marcella Detroit is none other than Marcy Levy, who played/sang/co-wrote with Clapton on Slowhand.
The world is full of surprises.
And this is my biggest/best surprise of 2022.

ECD55925-0B36-469F-BA7E-099CE3C04803.jpeg

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Playing in 24/96 LPCM Stereo.
Been a while since I’ve played the original CD so can’t say I notice much difference with the remix and new drum tracks, other than there seems to be some percussion removed or buried in One Slip.
It all sounds fine, if a bit bass heavy.
The bonus material is good, especially the 3 live tracks from Atlanta.

AEDA5F50-0273-41D5-880A-D6E56A141348.jpeg

Elton John - Madman Across the Water

The Blu-ray from the box set in 24/96 LPCM stereo.
Sounds beautiful, maybe better than the SACD but I’m going by memory.
Great songs and love the thick yet detailed production. Been a while since I’d played the album in any format, had forgotten just how great it is.
Title track in my 5 favourite Elton songs, the album as a whole is probably top 3.

I listen to and love stereo, so I wanted to start a new thread as there are quite a few stereo Blu Rays,.
Listening now to and audiophile reference BD stereo disc.
2015 Gregory Porter- Liquid Spirit released 6/23/15 from the HFPA series, now seems to be defunct. 24/96 of course.
View attachment 54974
Going to see him play in Newark, NJ in February - can’t wait - quite a talent 👍🏼
P.S. - I haven’t looked for about 6 months, but this excellent BD could be had CHEAP back then on Discogs & EBay 🤑

E0FD6171-E901-47F5-ABA9-71A0A7FE8E4D.jpeg

Eric Clapton - The Lady In The Balcony

This could go in 2 or 3 different threads. But since it’s not a “concert”, and I’m not playing it in surround (instead in 24/48 LPCM stereo on Bluray) I’m parking it here.
A static (ie they don’t move around) unplugged performance with big, open and mellow sound.
Very nice.

Back