Quantcast

Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

cbmmm3

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
you told yourself, " I dont need another version of this album. I already have it in many versions and formats" Then a great deal came along and you said, "oh well its a shm". Wow - I think this is a the best version available !!

framp.jpg

Last edited:

cbmmm3

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Nah! The best version is my DVD-A copy in surround. 😎

I have that one too. And I have the SACD. And I have the MFSL. And I have the A&M Remaster. The SHM is balanced, clear and punchy. The bass guitar is finally present as well as a clear drum mix and Mayo's keyboard. Its real nice.

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Living the high life..Bungalow Ranch Style. SoCal
Gong ‎– Shamal

"The instruments are perfectly balanced to produce impressive jazzy progressive rock pieces.
Omnipresent percussion (xylophone, vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel and tubular bells) form magic, pleasant and charming melodies.
The music is embellished by many flute, saxophone, violin and lead vocals parts.
Steve Hillage provides some electric guitars on a few tracks. There are some good keyboards: piano, organ and moog.
Overall the music sounds a bit like the complex and instrumental work of Frank Zappa with Ruth Underwood in the 70's"

618s308zYuL._SL1200_.jpg

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Amon Düül II ‎– Phallus Dei

Often cited as the original Krautrock album

"In 1969, AMON DÜÜL II released this curious but incredibely furious album.
Musically, the band delivers a kind of psychedelic rock, largely made on perpetual jammings with a certain sense of humour, a lot of raw guitar parts and some delicate folk violin parts.
There's also a constant use of percussions, incantatory, haunted voices harmonised by the lovely girl singer Rentate Knaup"

img_0988.jpg

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
This album brings me pure, unadulterated JOY
1610978234023.png
Native Dancer Wayne Shorter featuring Milton Nascimento

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Enjoying my King Crimson box set, The Complete 1969 recordings, very historical. 26 discs, there are 8 CD's that are not duplicated on either DVD or Blu Ray.
Taking my time, listened to CD 1 Live in Hyde Park, CD 2 Live at The Marquee, and CD 3 Live at Plumpton.
R-15899495-1604599042-2186.jpeg.jpg

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Gong ‎– Camembert Electrique

"This is a classic, the epitome of the band's early Daevid Allen phase. In its infancy, Gong was a unique prog rock band that branched out in all directions at once.
The band's eclectic "electric cheese" rock is a mixture of psychedelic rock, spacy atmospherics and lyrics, and doses of jazz.
Daevid Allen leads the band through several compositions with a hard, raw-edged sound propelled by a strong guitar-sax-percussion combo"

unnamed.jpg

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Amon Düül II ‎– Yeti

"This album could be said to be the group’s magnum opus, covering a multitude of styles including blues, acid rock, opera, raga, psychedelic (as ever), medieval style larking and folk.
Pure space, absolutely cosmic and otherworldly. Every member of the band is talented, and the sounds of all their instruments weave together and make a dense, ultra-psychedelic forest of sound"

2ee5a9423bf677220b7d5816b85aa6d2.jpg

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
1611018442990.jpeg

So this might be a bit serpentine (Shel), but the recent death of Phil Spector - a despicable little man, made me think of this. There was this great little indie movie a while back called “Grace Of My Heart” which is a fictionalized retelling along with many embellishments, of Carole King and the music scene from the Brill Building to the Laurel Canyon years. A couple of nuggets to note - first, to get this out of the way, the Phil Spector character, remade as a kindly if not overbearing impresario is played by John Turturro. All of the other characters are easily recognizable from Carole King, Gerry Goffin, Leslie Gore, Brian Wilson etc. A fun movie with a great soundtrack made even more credible by the songwriting team of Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach. They made an excellent album, “The Sweetest Punch, “ which included the main track from this movie “God Give Me Strength.” Bill Frisell completely remade this album as a chamber jazz piece with a big band and orchestra-with featured vocals from Elvis and Cassandra Wilson - I told you this was serpentine. Last note - in the movie the song God Give Me Strength (which is lipsung by the main character played by the wonderful Illeana Douglas) was performed by a little known studio singer, Kristen Vigard - who released her version on a stereo only DVD A. Whew! & goddamn Phil Spector.