Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, not sure how that QUAD Live BB sounds; but @steelydave was a discogs contributor on that one and probably could tell us :unsure:

It's a fantastic performance, B.B. at the top of his game in front of a typically subdued-but-appreciative Japanese audience. The quad mix is definitely discrete, but not overly complex - B.B., his guitar, bass guitar, and horns in the front, with the keyboards in one rear speaker, the drums in the other rear speaker, and I think the crowd noise is just four-channel mono. I know it was a QS release, but the mixing style makes me wonder if it was done with SQ in mind.

I think the most serendipitous part of these "blues in a big venue" live albums of this era is that because they didn't have the big fancy PA systems or on-stage monitoring, the musicians had to use big amps and turn them up really loud in order to hear themselves. While this was done for a very practical reason, the beneficial side effect is that, especially in the case of guitar, you get a much bigger, more overdriven sound with lots of sustain from pushing a tube amp to its limits, and B.B.'s tone on this album totally benefits from this. I've often found that the lead guitar tone on studio blues albums of this era to be kind of thin and reedy or overly percussive, but on this Live in Japan album King's tone (at times) is aggressive enough that it wouldn't be out of place on a rock and roll record. I always thought that Albert King's sound at the Wattstax festival in 1973 benefitted from the same thing - he's got that kind of huge sound that Stevie Ray Vaughan made popular 10 or 15 years later.

The only minor drawback of this album is that the quad version is a single-disc "highlights" affair whereas the stereo version is a double-LP that presumably contains the whole concert. This album was also one of the fabled King Records Japan quad reel releases as well - I did a thread on that series which you can check out here.

N continuing in stereo

Well after couple hours of Rush onto something a lil mellower...so up next Cat Stevens greatest hits
Cindi Lauper she's so unusual
Bob Welch french kiss

element.jpg

Back