Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
front.jpg

I'm not wild about the non-PC album cover picture of the trio in blackface but it was released, I believe, in 1974 and that was also consistent with Hollywood way back in the day so I guess I have to cut her some slack(besides which, Allee Willis is no longer among the living). Anyway, this is an album that I always meant to buy and it's really fun, super well crafted pop music. RIP Allee.

I try to get the 1st release of the CD (before loudness wars) The ones that you can turn up loud !!!
I’ve been collecting CDs since the late 80s, but didn’t realize until about a year ago the damage that the loudness wars caused to the sonics of so many subsequent and otherwise great releases.

I’ve been slowly combing through my collection (boxed when my music storage room was painted about 5 years ago) and I’ve been extracting any late 80s/early 90s CDs to see how they sound and if they hold up when cranked. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the ones that comply. A few standouts:

James Taylor - Greatest Hits
Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour & Livestock
Trapeze - You Are The Music, We’re Just The Band
Butthole Surfers - Independent Worm Saloon

Can’t wait to discover more of them!

Is that one of the Barry Diament masters for Atlantic? Barry prides himself on not using compression.
Yes. Mr. Diament mastered this one. It sounds incredible. Especially bass & drums. You can crank it way up...
I'm surprised that the DR isn't higher.

Last edited:
Back