Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Tuesday Morning People!
I’m starting today off with...

Styx II off of the complete wooden nickel recordings...

1585053843126.jpeg 1585053908175.jpeg

It’s nice to see the old wooden nickel labels again, HEADS & TAILS!

1585054033087.jpeg 1585054078152.jpeg

The chorus of “You Better Ask” keeps working it’s way up into my awareness....and then I remembered Lady, A Day, Father OSA and there you go...morning music chosen!

View attachment 47765 View attachment 47766

View attachment 47767 View attachment 47768

The chorus of “You Better Ask” keeps working it’s way up into my awareness....and then I remembered Lady, A Day, Father OSA and there you go...morning music chosen!
How do those CD's sound? Have they been ruined with the loudness wars?

How do those CD's sound? Have they been ruined with the loudness wars?
I think they sound fine but I don't check for the dynamic range etc of my music. For reference, I have my Marantz set to start listening at -30 dB. If a CD is mastered too loudly, I won't turn it up, and may turn it down slightly. I've got this one running at -22.5 dB... which is plenty loud. Something like the SACD of Dark Side, will typically be at -18 dB for normal listening. I rarely get into the single digits, but it does happen occasionally on a cranked up Friday night!
I liked early Styx so when I saw this compilation I bought it to check out the rest of their albums that I'd hadn't heard, but to be honest, Styx II is the only one I go back for....

I think they sound fine but I don't check for the dynamic range etc of my music. For reference, I have my Marantz set to start listening at -30 dB. If a CD is mastered too loudly, I won't turn it up, and may turn it down slightly. I've got this one running at -22.5 dB... which is plenty loud. Something like the SACD of Dark Side, will typically be at -18 dB for normal listening. I rarely get into the single digits, but it does happen occasionally on a cranked up Friday night!
I liked early Styx so when I saw this compilation I bought it to check out the rest of their albums that I'd hadn't heard, but to be honest, Styx II is the only one I go back for....

You're missing out on 2 of their best early tracks, What Has Come Between Us & Best Thing from their first album. My fave from Styx II is A Day by the underrated John Curulewski.

For me, James Young is a true Rock 'n' Roll legend. He's the only remaining original member of the band. That's 50 years!

You're missing out on 2 of their best early tracks, What Has Come Between Us & Best Thing from their first album. My fave from Styx II is A Day by the underrated John Curulewski.

For me, James Young is a true Rock 'n' Roll legend. He's the only remaining original member of the band. That's 50 years!
James Young was the MAN! I loved his songs, his singing, and guitar playing. I saw them in 78 and he was the stand out member to me. He could strike a powerful pose when playing! He rocks!

Well the CD is still in the Oppo so I'll punch up tracks 3 & 4 to check them out again, Thanks!

James Young was the MAN! I loved his songs, his singing, and guitar playing. I saw them in 78 and he was the stand out member to me. He could strike a powerful pose when playing! He rocks!

Well the CD is still in the Oppo so I'll punch up tracks 3 & 4 to check them out again, Thanks!

You're fortunate to have seen them in their prime with Dennis. I never got that opportunity.

You're fortunate to have seen them in their prime with Dennis. I never got that opportunity.
I did get lucky with seeing that show. I'd just moved to Colorado Springs in November 77 and then Styx played in Denver that January of 78 on their Grand Illusion tour. It was a great show and I should have pictures still squirreled away somewhere. Ahh the Mile HIGH city.... I remember all the sweet sweet sounds that filled the air!

I saw them again in 2014 in Macon, GA.... strange seeing James Young with short hair... but I guess a lot of us have short hair now!

View attachment 47765 View attachment 47766

View attachment 47767 View attachment 47768

you're diving deep into Styx archive !!

Bee Gees main course

Bee gees r my favorite boy band :)
I loved early Bee Gees..... like Holiday, what a great song!

Mid-late 70's disco with over saturated Bee Gee's airplay.... not so much. Not that long ago, I changed channels on the radio and came across this great sounding instrumental song that I couldn't place.... until it got to a vocal and it was a Bee Gee's hit from the late 70's so who knows now....

I loved early Bee Gees..... like Holiday, what a great song!

Mid-late 70's disco with over saturated Bee Gee's airplay.... not so much. Not that long ago, I changed channels on the radio and came across this great sounding instrumental song that I couldn't place.... until it got to a vocal and it was a Bee Gee's hit from the late 70's so who knows now....

I like their disco stuff...used to love dancing 💃 ...cleared the floor...everyone watching...the good days of youth...miss them

Yeah i disco...please don't tell my rock n roll friends...:)

Back