Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Unthanks - Live and Unaccompanied
[IMG]

Got into them from their awesome cover of King Crimson's "Starless"

Inspired by @Clement 's post in the Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb Reunion poll thread, I'm listening to Webb's 1982 solo album, Angel Heart.

I came across this album thanks to an interview Michael McDonald did in Billboard magazine - one of the questions they asked him was what his favourite background vocal sessions were, and he named the song Angel Heart from this album. I'd never heard of the song, or the album, so I went off and did some digging to find out what the story with it was. Much to my surprise, it was basically Jimmy Webb's yacht rock album - mostly recorded in 1979, it ended up being shelved because the label he recorded it for (20th Century Records) was on the verge of bankruptcy and tried to strongarm Webb into giving up all his songwriting royalties under threat of not releasing the album. Webb stood fast, and ended up buying the rights to the album from the label and sitting on it until 1982 when he found another label that financed the completion of the record. So even though it says 1982 on it, it very much sounds like a 1980 album.

Aside from Michael McDonald, the list of musicians that appear on the record is ridiculous: Leland Sklar, the Toto mob (Jeff Porcaro, David Paich, Steve Lukather), David Foster, Steely Dan regulars Victor Feldman and Dean Parks, Gerry Beckley from America, Daryl Hall, Graham Nash, and Kenny Loggins to name a few.

Webb might not be as good of a singer as he is a songwriter, but this album deserved a better fate than the obscurity it was granted - Old Wing Mouth is definitely the highlight of the album for me (the backing vocals are absolute headphone ear candy) but there's some other great stuff on here including his version of Scissors Cut (originally written for Art Garfunkel), the title cut (a sort of 50s throwback rocker), His World (a song about Elvis), Work for a Dollar, and Nasty Love, which is about as dirty lyrically as the title implies, and is hilariously sequenced immediately after the heartfelt Our Movie. One of the things I enjoy most about this album is the lyrics - while it may bear a lot of the sonic hallmarks of yacht rock, lyrically it's quite different. Almost every song seems to tell an interesting story, and usually in an engaging way that requires you to read between the lines, ie this isn't John Cougar Mellencamp telling you that this is a little story about Jack and Diane.

Wow....what a trip back in time.......I'm listening to Max Webster's "Party" 8CD box set.......this remaster is brilliant......for those of you who aren't Canadian it was a band run by non other then Kim Mitchell....with such hits as Gravity, Hangover, High Class in Borrowed Shows, Lip Service, The Party and many many more to mention. This was the ultimate Summer Party band especially if you went up to Wassaga Beach on the summer weekends.

Livin' Inside Your Love - George Benson CD was 2 LP's. LP's, at least the first press had 16-18 minutes/side and nice fidelity. There's plenty of room for a nice wide groove excursion. One of his best.

Highway 61 Revisited - The Zim mono CD from Original Mono Recordings 8 CD box. Ballad of a Thin Man is different edit. One of his Best!

Birth of the Cool - Miles Japan mono CD

Memphis Jamboree 1927 - 1936 Memphis Minnie & her husband Kansas Joe McCoy & others Yazoo 1021 mono CD

Jackson Blues 1938 - 1938 Tommy Johnson, Mississippi Sheiks & others. Yazoo 1007 mono CD

Voice of the Blues - Bottleneck Guitar Masterpieces Tampa Red, Barbecue Bob, Blind Willie Davis, Sister O.M. Terrell, others Yazoo 1046 mono CD

Guitar Wizards Tampa Red, Blind Blake, others Yazoo 1016 mono CD

Wow....what a trip back in time.......I'm listening to Max Webster's "Party" 8CD box set.......this remaster is brilliant......for those of you who aren't Canadian it was a band run by non other then Kim Mitchell....with such hits as Gravity, Hangover, High Class in Borrowed Shows, Lip Service, The Party and many many more to mention. This was the ultimate Summer Party band especially if you went up to Wassaga Beach on the summer weekends.

really good band. Saw them several times when I lived in Toronto - first time was when they played at my high school!

Criminally under-rated band. To me their run of albums is up there with Cheap Trick and Arrosmith, especially the first two albums - flawless

Ragged But Right: Great Country String Bands Of The 1930’s IMHO: Essential

Satie: L'ouvre pour Piano - Aldo Ciccolini 5 CD (selected tracks)
All 6 Angel LP's from '67-'71.
Although there are '80's digital CD's by Ciccolini, these are definitive performances.
I have dozens of recordings of many of these pieces.
They don't pop like popcorn, unlike my Angel LP's, even when they were new.

40th Anniversary Collection James Brown 2 CD
Star Time box set has live version of There Was a Time. Here, it's the original hit.
I still have my 45 from '67 on King records. His best compilation.
40 tracks of Goodness! Got to have a Mother for me!

Great album Diamond Head too bad there were no extra songs for the CD. I have my vinyl copy.
Roxy Music could do no wrong then solo albums from Ferry Andy McKay Manzanera and Eno. It was one stop shopping for your music pleasure.

Back