Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to end out the weekend on a wonderful note or two

zevonrare.jpg

Four incredible Sergio Mendes albums! I bought the first three when I was in grade school. Fool came out when I was an HS Freshman. I began buyiing jazz LP's in 5th grade. Sergio would be in my 5 favorite artists.

Saw Mendes at the Hemmens Auditorium in Elgin, IL a few years ago. Still spectacular!

Met Lani Hall, lead vocalist on those 4 Mendes records, backstage at a Herb Alpert concert. Met Herb a few times, as well. She's been Mrs. Alpert for 50 years. Have seen them together 4 times. Alpert is also in my top 5.

Hall is from Chicago, so they're here often. My Husband & I had our first date at a Alpert/Hall concert at Park West in Chicago.

I highly recommended these import-only Mendes albums:

Japan:
Rendesvoux
Live at Expo '70
Carnival: Live in Japan SQ LP

https://www.discogs.com/Sérgio-Mend...Sergio-Mendes-Brazil-77-Live/release/10106282
Brazil:
Horizonte Aberto

UK:
In Concert (MFP)

Peru:
Picardia LP ('83 "Sergio Mendes" w/Never Gonna Let You Go) LP SIDE 1 in SPANISH

https://www.discogs.com/pt_BR/Sergio-Mendes-Picardia/release/12667311

You have a lot of great history with Mendes and company, very cool! I also listened to the first 3 albums while I was in grade school, but they were my father’s albums. He was a musician and had a fairly large album collection. Brasil ‘66 were one of the few groups he had that I would pick out and play (along with Peter, Paul and Mary, and The Beatles). We were living in Madrid, Spain from the winter of 65 through the winter of 68 and we listened to a lot of music while we lived overseas. Brasil ‘66 reminds me of fun times, very cool evenings, and my parent’s cocktail parties. Good times.

Thank you for the album recommendations. I’m not familiar with them and I’ll put them on my list.

David

Last edited:
N todays stereo listening

REO Speedwagon wheels are turnin
REO Speedwagon you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish
The Moody Blues long distance voyager
Rolling Stones the best of / jump back
Tom Petty an American treasure disc 3 & 4

I am giving some quality time to this 16/44.1 CD, not sure I ever listened before, very cool Jimi in a slow groove him and electric guitar.
CD2: Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes, which presents 20 never before heard demos and studio outtakes. Included are incredibly intimate demos for song ideas Hendrix recorded himself on a reel-to-reel tape at the Drake Hotel, as well as early recording session takes featuring guest appearances from Buddy Miles, Stephen Stills and Al Kooper.
41aYT0i+EdL.jpg

Getting the day started with Electrelane's mostly instrumental Rock It To The Moon

rittm.jpg

Hamilton, you got me started. Sergio Mendes gets fairly heavy rotation in our house.
Love Music is one of Mendes' better albums. Played it a month ago. Very poppy. Enjoy!

I've been spinning these in the last couple weeks:
Pais Tropical - Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77 Japan CD w/Japan-only bonus track in Japanese.
The Collection - Sergio Mendes UK 2 CD A&M & Philips tracks compilation
Songs our Daddy Taught Us - Everly Brothers UK CD
Blow Your Face Off - J. Geils Band Live
Greatest Jukebox Hits - Elvis
Live in Vancouver 1970 - Doors 2 CD

Other things I've spun in last few weeks. Still wading through my late GF's Dylan collection:
Best of Theme Time Radio - Dylan 2 CD UK
Dylan's Greatest V2 2 CD (I have this on SACD)
Bringing it all Back Home CD (Boomerang. I have this on 5.1 & mono SACD)
Dylan at the Opera - Diva Di Lai (tribute album) CD
Modern Times - Dylan CD/DVD
A Nod to Bob - V/A
30th Anniversary Concert - Dylan 2 CD w/Bonus tracks (I have original 2 CD & DVD)
Another Self-Portrait - Dylan 2 CD (I have 4 CD ultra-deluxe, too)
Street Legal - Dylan Holland CD (Boomerang - I gave this to my GF when I bought SACD)

Last edited:
Started the day with the bonus disc from this set…
r-aiff.jpg

next in the stack was some Portishead…
prtshd.jpg

now in the midst of some chansons français by Valérie Leulliot.
vl-c.jpg

Last edited:
John Prine (1st album) IMHO, his best
Bright Moments - Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Shady Grove - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman
Highwaywomen
Wozard of Iz (an electronic odyssey) - Mort Garson UK CD
Auf Wiedersehn - Red Garland German CD
Shot of Love - Dylan No hits. Didn't sell. IMHO, one of his best. Zim agrees. Benmont Tench, "Duck" Dunn, Danny "Kootch", Ringo & Ron Wood guest.

Back