Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
folder.jpg

This on the other hand is a much better listening experience than the Dream Theater. Nothing new here, but a solid set list well played.
Devin Townsend Devolution Series #2: Galactic Quarantine

Susan Wong CLOSE TO ME [EVOSOUND/MQA~Encoded CD] Not only is the sound SPECTACULAR on an MQA decoded player [174.6kHz/24 bit] but likewise on my Marantz Tank Like NON MQA SA~11S2 SACD/RBCD 'spinner' @ 44.1/16! Not to mention the content: Gorgeous!

61t33tHKPmL._SL1200_.jpg
61iAFpKQHFL._SL1200_.jpg

like Ralphie said, you really cant go Wong with these UHQ cd's by Susan

View attachment 69387View attachment 69388

Was thinking back to the days when HDCD technology was developed by Pacific Microsonics and the first disc was produced in 1995. The technology was later acquired by Microsoft and roughly 5000 CDs were HDCD encoded.

HDCD did promote 20 bit technology from a CD but I never seemed to be able to find evidence on any of my OPPO players which decoded HDCD of actual 20 bit resolution!!!!

Ironically, MQA with its promise of high oversampling rates and 24 bit word length clearly shows up on my OPPO 205 as 174.6kHz/24 bit when pressing the dispay button on the Oppo's remote.

Hopefully, with all the negatives hurled at MQA lately, there remain some of us who LOVE the technology and the ultimate promise of better sound from a CD and from what I've heard ..... it IS a success in my book.

No one badmouthed HDCD...probably because it added NO premium to the cost but as almost all MQA encoded discs are pressed in Japan [save for EVOSOUND...some of which ARE] they do carry a premium much like ALL Japanese SHM/Blu~SPEC/UHQ~CDs. Hopefully that too, will change in time because I am rightfully excited about this technology which I fear has been undutifully lambasted by listeners who have never heard it first hand.....and by the audiophile press as well which is almost evenly divided by the pros and cons of this newest format ..... but then they were also divided about the merits of DVD~A and SACD....much preferring the sound of vinyl!

Last edited:
Was thinking back to the days when HDCD technology was developed by Pacific Microsonics and the first disc was produced in 1995. The technology was later acquired by Microsoft and roughly 5000 CDs were HDCD encoded.

HDCD did promote 20 bit technology from a CD but I never seemed to be able to find evidence on any of my OPPO players which decoded HDCD of actual 20 bit resolution!!!!

Ironically, MQA with its promise of high oversampling rates and 24 bit word length clearly shows up on my OPPO 205 as 174.6kHz/24 bit when pressing the dispay button on the Oppo's remote.

Hopefully, with all the negatives hurled at MQA lately, there remain some of us who LOVE the technology and the ultimate promise of better sound from a CD and from what I've heard ..... it IS a success in my book.

No one badmouthed HDCD...probably because it added NO premium to the cost but as almost all MQA encoded discs are pressed in Japan [save for EVOSOUND...some of which ARE] they do carry a premium much like ALL Japanese SHM/Blu~SPEC/UHQ~CDs. Hopefully that too, will change in time because I am rightfully excited about this technology which I fear has been undutifully lambasted by listeners who have never heard it first hand. And by the audiophile press as well which is almost evenly divided by the pros and cons of this newest format ..... but then they were also divided about the merits of DVD~A and SACD....much preferring the sound oif vinyl!

Ralphie

thanks for perspective. Ive always been skeptical - or a skeptic when it comes to the latest 'big thing'. Sonic Holographics, bit blasters, green markers, etc

Ive been into audio since 1976. Ive seen a lot. Heard a lot. Spent a lot. Tried a lot

My opinion is there are a few Monumental moments in audiophilia since 1976 that have made a huge audio impact -

Cassettes and cassette decks
The CD
Surround tech - dolby and dts
DVD Audio and SACD
MQA

I tend to not listen to so called experts and opinions I let my ears decide. My ears tell me that MQA is something that one should attempt to hear in full unfold glory.

Last edited:
Back