Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That title was released many, many moons ago... Not sure how that would compare to the SACD of Local Hero
Yep, that MFCD was released in 1988. The original LP released in 1970, 18 years before MFCD 800, and the record sounds great, clear, clean, solid bass. I don't think time was much of a factor.

I have a handful of other MFCD releases that all sound a little dull and bassy to me. Made me wonder if they were using very bright sounding speakers in their remastering.

Sardonicus is my fave Spirit album and in my top 10 overall. Bought it on LP (x2), MoFi Silver CD, US expanded CD, in UK Ode/Epic years box, and UK 2 CD expanded.

I pre-ordered the Cherry Red UK 2 CD, but first read the entire booklet yesterday. It claims a sonic improvement. I have yet to a/b it to my other copies. Another of many a/b projects...

Spins in the last couple days:
12 Dreams - Spirit UK 2 CD expanded
Principle of Moments - Robert Plant
Autumn - Don Ellis French CD
Wasting Light - Foo Fighters
Very Best of Big Joe Turner

Sardonicus is my fave Spirit album and in my top 10 overall. Bought it on LP (x2), MoFi Silver CD, US expanded CD, in UK Ode/Epic years box, and UK 2 CD expanded.

I pre-ordered the Cherry Red UK 2 CD, but first read the entire booklet yesterday. It claims a sonic improvement. I have yet to a/b it to my other copies. Another of many a/b projects...

So which one sounds best to you?

Mark Knopfler - Local Heros
Vertigo CD 1983

knopfler-heros.jpg

Don't know, as I somewhat alluded to. Haven't a/b'ed the UK box to 2 CD, although I'd be surprised if they sound any different. Definitely an a/b'ing project for future. I have dozens, perhaps into the hundreds that need the same treatment. Once upon a time, that happened within days of most purchases.

Bluesman Eric Bibb summed it up nicely:

So which one sounds best to you?

I see Mofi finally released Mark Knopfler- Local Hero on SACD. Anybody had a chance to hear this? It looks like Elusive Disc has the best price I could find, $33.79 ( with shipping, not including tax)
View attachment 78908
I received it a couple of weeks ago... It's quite lovely. One of my favorite Knopfler albums. The richness of the arrangements really comes through nicely.

THE BEST OF JOE WALSH [Geffen Records/UHQCD MQA Remaster] A sensational sounding remaster with three remixes

Image 1 - 4BT JOE WALSH The Best Of Joe Walsh JAPAN MQA UHQ MINI LP CD HI-RES Audio

• 1 Turn to Stone (Remix)
  • 2 Mother Says
  • 3 Help Me Thru the Night (Remix)
  • 4 Rocky Mountain Way
  • 5 Meadows
  • 6 County Fair (Remix)
  • 7 Funk #49
  • 8 Time Out
  • 9 Walk Away

'Cause the Rocky Mountain Way
Is better than the way we had

Ralphie
do yourself a favor and grab onto the Tears For Fears Songs from the Big Chair UHQ/MQA cd while its still available at a 'semi' affordable price.

Ricky, I'm totally satisfied with Steve Wilson's amazing MLP DVD~A 5.1 remix of Songs From The Big Chair. Rather put the $$$ in stuff I don't have!

A26CDB34-933A-41AF-B8E5-5C07B6711628.jpeg
The Doobie Brothers - Brotherhood

The one missing link in my Doobies collection until now.
Though there is some decent stuff here, mainly from Tom Johnston, it’s one of their weaker albums overall. Not terrible, just inconsistent. Sound is pretty good, no complaints there.

8F3216BC-296D-4F15-97DD-3D2CBDBC20C2.jpeg
Elvis Costello & The Attractions -
The Boy Named If

Hesitated buying this one because his last few records disappointed me.
Ecstatic to discover an upbeat and rollicking album full of great songs. And thankfully he hasn’t tried to cram in too many words like he sometimes does.
One of the best albums of his career IMHO.

And that’s it.
With the exception of a bunch of box sets (which are whole different story) my once voluminous pile of unplayed discs is down to zero, for the first time in at least 20 years, probably much longer.
Do I need to resort to vinyl ? ;)

Back