Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patricia O'Callaghan with the Gryphon Trio BROKEN HEARTS AND MADMEN [Analekta Records] Patricia's version of Nick Drake's RIVER MAN is possibly the best version i've ever heard

See the source image

patricia o'callaghan/gryphon trio River man you tube

I'll be interested to read what others think about this MFSL release. I've been a little disappointed with a few of MFSL's "remastered" CDs, specifically Spirit "The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" and Alan Parsons Project "Tales of Mystery and Imagination". Both to me sound a little dull lacking in the high-end, and heavy on the bass.

Never mind.... I just listened to Sardonicus on the MFCD 800 and it sounds great. (Also Spirit's 1st album and Clear on regular issue CDs. Very comparable audio quality. ) I must have been thinking about Loggins and Messina "Sittin' In" and the Parsons "Tales..." on MF and lumping them in all together. The Blu ray of "Tales..." blows the MFCD away.

Has 1984 ever been released in stereo?

Just listened to "Sittin' In" and if I run it through my graphic EQ and pull back 120 Hz by 6 dB that fixes the heavy bassy sound, to my old ears anyway.

Last edited:
The Police live circa 1979/1980. I was lucky enough to see them in 1982 & 1983....and they were great. But the energy of these early shows is off the charts. I hope they release more shows from the vaults. Will check out the blu-ray tonight.

View attachment 79000
What.. no HDCD mastering? :)

I guess the Grateful Dead Dave's Picks are about the only ones still doing that on a consistent basis.

Bowie fans, this Record Store Day EP is essential. While the two studio cuts (an early version of "I'm Afraid of Americans" and an alternate mix of "I Have Not Been to Oxford Town") are nice, the two live cuts are stunning. Recorded in NYC in 1995 with just Bowie and pianist Mike Garson. The live tracks are "A Small Plot of Land" (from the Outside album) and "My Death" (an old Jaques Brel tune that Bowie regularly performed during the Ziggy Stardust era). Garson's playing is phenomenal and Bowie's delivery gives chills. All of the tracks are exclusive to this EP (they aren't on the similarly titled box set). If your local store doesn't have it, I was able to score one from Bull Moose.

0-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back