Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umphrey's McGee - The Best Show On Earth - Riviera Theatre Chicago Ill. December 31, 2004

umphreys-rivtheat1204.jpg

Last edited:
Been a few days since I've posted here. Usually, I'm just giving likes on the fly.

1- Lots of great music y'all are spinning! Need to p/u Charlie Hayden/Carla Bley CD.

2- Sardonicus - I a/b'ed the Mofi silver to the LP when it was released. It compared favorably. Still, CD was lacking a bit compared to the LP via Ortofon MC 20. Have been using that cart for 45 years in various incarnations. Yes, guys, highs are a bit "zingy" compared to other carts and practically every RBCD. Compared MoFi CD to expanded CD when that was released. I don't recall all the differences. Again, compared favorably. Hope to compare the 2 CD expanded to expanded single CD soon. Needs to be on my main system, though...

My Spirit collection has expanded greatly in the last couple years. Dozens of new releases, mainly from Cherry Red's Esoteric UK label. Literally dozens of new CD's over many expanded releases and boxes. Had met Ed & Randy (both RIP.) How many Spirit & Randy California records are in my collection? Over 100.

Recommend the 5 CD It Shall Be Ode/Epic UK CD box. The first 5 albums and lots of rare & unreleased. Spirit's early 80's reunion album Thirteenth Dream (Spirit of '84 in US) is a favorite of mine, though some have panned it for being too slick. California's Kapt. Kopter & Euro-American are not to be missed. Ditto for Jay Ferguson's Real Life Ain't that Way (w/Joe Walsh). Szymczyk produced it. JoJo Gunne's Jumpin' the Gunne features both Ferguson & Andes. Sweet Stella Baby, Spirit's biggest fan graces both cover and gatefold IN THE ALL TOGETHER! IMHO, their best.

Great post Quad Linda, thanks.
I really must get the Sunrise & Salvation and Complete Potatoland sets.
Wish I’d thought to include them in my recent Deep Discount order.
Other than the hit l Got a Line On You, my first exposure to them were these two comps on the W.E.R.C. C.R.E.W. label.
Don’t even remember how/where I got them but they sent me down a rabbit hole. Grabbed all the Legacy CDs first and a bunch of other stuff like Toy Shop & Feedback.
And the California Blues Redux CD that Audio Fidelity put out, I know Marshall was a big fan, no doubt going back to his days with Ode Records.

D4693B35-CD6A-4DD2-8B89-686D4B6ED8B3.jpeg58CD81C2-6FE5-4CDA-AACA-B2577AF70CCE.jpeg

Been a few days since I've posted here. Usually, I'm just giving likes on the fly.

1- Lots of great music y'all are spinning! Need to p/u Charlie Hayden/Carla Bley CD.

2- Sardonicus - I a/b'ed the Mofi silver to the LP when it was released. It compared favorably. Still, CD was lacking a bit compared to the LP via Ortofon MC 20. Have been using that cart for 45 years in various incarnations. Yes, guys, highs are a bit "zingy" compared to other carts and practically every RBCD. Compared MoFi CD to expanded CD when that was released. I don't recall all the differences. Again, compared favorably. Hope to compare the 2 CD expanded to expanded single CD soon. Needs to be on my main system, though...

Talking about A/B'ing, when someone would wonder what I was going to do with all these records, I'd say "Play them of course". "But don't they sound crappy?" or some other response. I would pull out Al DiMeola Elegant Gypsy on a super mint LP and an original issue Made in Japan CD, get them synced up and level matched and challenge anyone to tell the difference. After a few switches back and forth they would get lost and end result would be pretty amazed how good these old records can sound. Using the extremely neutral sounding Stanton 881S cartridge I still use 99% of the time.

dimeolacdlp1.jpg

And, Glad to see someone recognized Umphrey's McGee! Have you ever been to one of their shows? I first heard then on an internet radio station probably around 2005 or so. Of course I had to gather a small collection of their CDs.☺

Last edited:
Grateful Dead - Dave's Picks 42 Bonus Disc

(If you don't get the bonus disc you're missing out on the best part!)

gddaves42.jpg

Humble Quest - Maren Morris
Live at Woodstock - Joe Cocker
Just Like That - Bonnie Raitt
11 Short Songs of Pain and Glory - Dropkick Murphys
Killer Bees - Airto Moreira & Gods of Jazz (Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Flora Purim) B&W Music UK CD Gods indeed!

CD 5 from It Shall Be - Spirit UK (Family Plays/Time Circle alt mixes, outtakes and mono singles)

Live at Harper College - Jim Croce from 2 CD UK expanded Life & Times

https://www.discogs.com/release/12221571-Jim-Croce-Life-And-Times

CD 2 Live at Nice Festival July 1986 from 2 CD expanded Tutu - Miles

https://www.discogs.com/release/17064687-Miles-Davis-Tutu

My favorite Dire Straits album. Did you get a German Vertigo CD? I bought that on LP, German CD and Japan SHM-SACD.

First day I had my Sony CDP-101, I had a couple dozen CD's. I had all the titles I desired. 30 years and 20,000 CD'S later, I don't have everything I want.

Hi Qlinda
Its the early US version pressed in Japan

My first spinner was a Yamaha - bought used. Had to go on a serious hunt to find CDs. There was some obscure book store here in Grand Rapids that had em. They were all West German and Japan CDs. Still have ALL these lovely CDs. They are so pure......

Back