Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Dire Straits album. Did you get a German Vertigo CD? I bought that on LP, German CD and Japan SHM-SACD.

First day I had my Sony CDP-101, I had a couple dozen CD's. I had all the titles I desired. 30 years and 20,000 CD'S later, I don't have everything I want.
Got that one covered!

direstraits-movies.jpg

First day I had my Sony CDP-101, I had a couple dozen CD's. I had all the titles I desired. 30 years and 20,000 CD'S later, I don't have everything I want.

I remember in early '83 heading down to a store near downtown Dallas, "Recorder Center" where they had the new Sony CDP-101. It had been announced in a newspaper ad they would have it for auditioning.

A little while later I ended up buying my first player, a Magnavox FD1000, main reasons were cost (on sale at Bloomingdales for $299) and the dual D-A converters I figured would be good for keeping everything in phase all the way to 22 kHz.

Top-loader, slow as molasses to search tracks. But it sounded good through my Sansui QSD-1 synthesizing quad.

magnavox1stcdp.jpg

1- Also bought Dire Straits (1st) and Communique on LP, German Vertigo CD and Japan SHM-SACD. Stunning fidelity on CD. SHM-SACD upped the game a bit! Music and fidelity are stellar!

2- Slightly off topic: Japan SACD'S of Elegant Gypsy and Black Market are not to be missed!

3- Gimme 4, I'm not aware of a released 2ch mix of the original Spirit single 1984/Sweet Stella Baby. 1984 was done in 2ch on the Mercury 13th Dream and corresponding 12" single on a later version.

A few more spins over the last few days:

Back to Brooklyn - Streisand CD/DVD w/LPCM 2ch
Trees of the Ages - Laura Nyro Live in Japan
Live in Largo, MD June 24-26 1975 - Chicago 2 CD Rhino Handmade

Last edited:
Do you have the standard issue CD too? Wondering if there's a significant difference in audio quality.

I find many Japanese issued CDs to be much better....but not always as Rhino and a few other boutique labels ( Wounded Bird , etc ) do a pretty good job. In the case of this version, its a small improvement over the Rhino release. I wanted this for HDCD playback and to satisfy my completist complex - to have my full Foghat library in mini LP CD ( still lacking Stone Blue....hrumph ...)

Back