Listening On The Go (Phones, Headphones, DAC's, Connectors)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'll admit that I am a total gear head. I love gear. I feel pretty complete with my home rig now, so of course what would be next but to listen Hi Res on the go.
I have never really been interested before but now with Apple Lossless being available without an extra subscription I am intrigued.
I have watched a few You Tubes and seems pretty consistent that in order to have the Lossless Apple experience you need:
1. Mobile phone with Apple Music subscription.
2. Dongle? Is that what they call it? To go from the phone to the needed DAC.
3. A mobile DAC, there are a lot of them.
4. Wired headphones. As of this writing there are no Bluetooth configurations that will get you a lossless signal.
The above is easy to understand, but as always there are choices of gear, dongle, DAC and wired headphones (over ear or earbuds).

I think the choice of Dongel is only what you can use with your particular phone, I need the Fire male side.
I get a little confused with DAC's. I would like one that actually shows whether by lights or words that show the Lossless 48Khz, 96Khz, etc that I am listening to. If I was listening to Tidal I would need to see MQA.
The biggest thing is head phones, I have never been a headphone listener, except for supplied earbuds that come with Apple phone.
I have heard that over ears are better, but there are fancy earbuds that people seem to like. I certainly like the idea of fancy earbuds, easier for on the go, that's for sure.

Anyway, I am interested to hear what you more experienced QQ'ers have opinion's about.

Back