Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I preferred Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mixes of the same tracks on the Southern Surroundings DVD-A. Interesting that they appear to have found the multitrack for "Sweet Home Alabama" though.
Elliot is really a masterful surround mixer, I agree.

has anyone listened to this? I’m giving it a listen today….typical of the strength of an ATMOS mix, you can really a lot of the details in the three guitar parts, and the piano in particular is essential to their sound but not always clearly heard in the past.

edit. Not all tracks in ATMOS

This is the more complete Atmos collection for Lynyrd Skynyrd. I believe it has been out for some time...

Always like to get it from the original album instead of a comp when available..

This is another ( of many, many) ATMOS mix that seems to reduce the power of the low end compared to the original stereo. I wonder why that is the case? Perhaps the spreading out of the musical elements to many more channels does it? I wonder why the mixers don’t take steps to fix this? I have found that after I calibrate my system with Audessey, I’ll manually boost the gain on my sub a smidge and that seems to help. Anyone have any thoughts?

This is another ( of many, many) ATMOS mix that seems to reduce the power of the low end compared to the original stereo. I wonder why that is the case? Perhaps the spreading out of the musical elements to many more channels does it? I wonder why the mixers don’t take steps to fix this? I have found that after I calibrate my system with Audessey, I’ll manually boost the gain on my sub a smidge and that seems to help. Anyone have any thoughts?
I think many of the problems associated with streaming titles result from the bit rate just not being up to digitizing more than two channels.

I think many of the problems associated with streaming titles result from the bit rate just not being up to digitizing more than two channels.
Maybe, but I still think a lot of the really egregious examples stem from poor mixing. INXS' Kick is one that made it to Blu-Ray, and it sounds just as bad as the stream to my ears. If you're starting out with something that was mixed competently (Grateful Dead, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Tom Petty, etc), the low bitrate doesn't inflict such horrendous damage. I'll still take the lossless version though!

Maybe, but I still think a lot of the really egregious examples stem from poor mixing. INXS' Kick is one that made it to Blu-Ray, and it sounds just as bad as the stream to my ears. If you're starting out with something that was mixed competently (Grateful Dead, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Tom Petty, etc), the low bitrate doesn't inflict such horrendous damage. I'll still take the lossless version though!
I think you can mix around the bit rate problem to some degree by limiting the frequency bandwidth used by the surround channels. Grateful Dead and Tom Petty are great examples. Discrete placement is better; ambience is a waste of bits.

I think you can mix around the bit rate problem to some degree by limiting the frequency bandwidth used by the surround channels. Grateful Dead and Tom Petty are great examples. Discrete placement is better; ambience is a waste of bits.
Those mixes you mentioned don't seem to be limited in any channels in terms of frequency response. Are you making an assumption? I am getting nice low end all around with both of those mixes.

Back