Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up for folk who may have missed Jonathan's post.

Never expected to see this one in Atmos.

Bit of a surprise. I was under the impression that a surround mix couldn't be done due to the complexities of how it was originally recorded/mixed.

Glad to see it, but I have to say I'm not blown away by the mix. An upmix, perhaps?

Certainly doesn't sound like any of the Ken Calliat mixes of the other albums.

No center speaker at all on "Big Love" and then just barely using it on "Seven Wonders"
Caillat unfortunately didn't do any of the Atmos mixes, which is a shame given his fantastic work on Joni Mitchell's Asylum-era albums. As @popshop pointed out elsewhere, they were all done by someone named Chris James (with input from Lindsey Buckingham). With maybe the exception of Tusk, I'd say they're all vastly inferior to the prior 5.1 versions.

Caillat unfortunately didn't do any of the Atmos mixes, which is a shame given his fantastic work on Joni Mitchell's Asylum-era albums. As @popshop pointed out elsewhere, they were all done by someone named Chris James (with input from Lindsey Buckingham). With maybe the exception of Tusk, I'd say they're all vastly inferior to the prior 5.1 versions.
I was thinking of the 5.1's, I haven't listened to any of the streaming Atmos versions of those albums. Always going to prefer a hi(gher)-rez version if I have a choice.

I'll probably check out Tusk and probably Mirage at some point though. I hear they're closer to the stereo mix. But I also like the different choices Caillat made for the 5.1s.

Chris James played with Prince, was a studio engineer at Paisley Park, and has mixed Prince in atmos. Not sure of other credits but just saw he recorded on Self's first album, which I liked a lot 😀
Live Prince only right, didn't think there were any studio albums yet by Prince in Atmos?

Just checked out that Self album (The Half-Baked Serenade - IINM?) and yes sounds great, I'd be all over that in Atmos!

Self was pretty awesome for a bit there. The album was Subliminal Plastic Motives Could be awesome in atmos. Cannon was a minor hit, at least in Denver in 1995 haha
ooh, cool playable bandcamp link:
Unique production for that time, slightly ahead of its time mixing electro and rock.
- Half-baked serenade was the end of that era of the band (mostly a solo project).

it's a fabulous album and the mixes are Surround-y and all.. but on that one it's a bit disconcerting flip-flopping around the speakers in such a fashion.. not sure it adds anything or enhances it particularly, musically speaking? 🤔

also weird, i'm only getting 4 tracks (2. 5, 9 & 11) in Atmos for some spooky reason.. the others are all Stereo 😔🤷🏻‍♀️

View attachment 92319
Pick a speaker! Any speaker! 🤣

Back