Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play this album probably once a month since it came out so just got a huge surprise when I heard the rear speakers pumping on Apple Music. Can’t comment on the Atmos mix yet, suspect not discrete, but what a blast to have this album swirling around the room. If you’ve not heard it and you like Tonight’s the Night era Neil Young, have a go.

Really strange I can find this but it doesn’t give me the option to add it to my library

Sara is on my "all-time favorite songs" list. It always felt like a song you could get lost in if that makes any sense. Like if the song stretched out to 30 minutes, you wouldn’t get bored with it if you were just laying on the bed (or bean bag... it was still barely the 70s after all) with headphones on. It has that floaty feel to it.

Looking forward to listening to this later... but not on a bean bag.

Attachments

• 1680289709899991827997828843585.jpg
    1680289709899991827997828843585.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Thought the Tusk release might be a bit more adventurous than it is. Still great to sit down and listen to it all the way through for the first time in a while. “Beautiful Child” is one of Stevie’s best. But Christine is the one that shone on this album. Made me miss her even more.

I don't think this is new, but maybe it used to be messed up and they fixed it? Or maybe it's the "Deluxe Edition" that just got added? Anyway, it popped up on Ben Dodson's Twitter feed, and it has a great mix that makes full use of all speakers on my 5.1.4 system:
Ditto for last year's follow-up:

Last edited:
Good people of Tidal! :LB - did Chris James mix Tusk?
If so, I'd say he's improved quite a bit from the self-titled album and Rumours. There's some really magical moments in this one, like when the 'sha-la-la' backing vocals fill up all the speakers in "Brown Eyes". Another really cool bit is in "Walk A Thin Line", the weird delay effect on the drums is mostly in the height channels and it sounds super trippy.

It's also more faithful to the original stereo than Ken Caillat's 5.1 mix ("Over & Over" and "Beautiful Child" have their original dry snare sound back), but there were also some cool aspects of that 5.1 that I kinda miss in this new version. For instance, throughout "Sara" there were these cool acoustic guitar (or maybe mandolin?) parts popping up in the rear channels of the 5.1 mix that are pretty buried in the Atmos mix. There's also something weird going on with Stevie's vocal in that track, I found it has this odd 'transistor radio'-like midrange-y quality on my system.
Like if the song stretched out to 30 minutes, you wouldn’t get bored with it...
According to the liner notes from the 2015 box set, Stevie's original demo was 16 minutes!

Back