Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a number of them listed on Apple's “Now in Spacial Audio” page today. I know some already were available including Tango which was mentioned earlier. Tusk was recent. I can’t recall if Mirage was, though. If so, I think I missed that one.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 6.18.22 PM.png

I see a number of them listed on Apple's “Now in Spacial Audio” page today. I know some already were available including Tango which was mentioned earlier. Tusk was recent. I can’t recall if Mirage was, though. If so, I think I missed that one.

View attachment 92003
Fleetwood Mac and Tango are the new ones.

My favorite Ella! But, uh... It was recorded in mono...
From my fairly brief sampling, it's not much of a mix... on my 5.1 system, similar sound from each speaker, but with lower volume in the center and some reverb added to the rears. Still, I find it pleasing to hear, and it beats straight-up mono any day.

My favorite Ella! But, uh... It was recorded in mono...
Mine too. I expect (hope) they will have used stem separation, as they apparently did last year with the Gershwin Irving Berlin songbook.

Edit: sadly, my hopes were dashed. Miss Otis regrets Verve were unable to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Mine too. I expect (hope) they will have used stem separation, as they apparently did last year with the Gershwin Irving Berlin songbook.

Edit: sadly, my hopes were dashed. Miss Otis regrets Verve were unable to do the right thing.
It turns out the Complete Original Songbooks box is also now listed as Atmos. We'll see how many tracks use whatever methods they employed with the Berlin set.

It turns out the Complete Original Songbooks box is also now listed as Atmos. We'll see how many tracks use whatever methods they employed with the Berlin set.
Yes, the listing of that collection is what led me to discover that the Cole Porter one was in "Atmos" but when I scanned through the rest, it's all stereo-only, except for the Irving Berlin songbook, the one you referenced. The Berlin album has been mentioned on this thread previously, I believe, so that's why I only posted the Cole Porter album here.

It makes no sense that Apple features the entire Song Books collection on the Spatial Audio page, but it's not the first time they've highlighted an album that wasn't completely in Atmos, or even, not in Atmos at all at the time. I wonder sometimes what would be different if Steve Jobs was still around: would that have prevented Apple's downward slide when it comes to quality control and usability? Unknowable of course, but maybe an interesting philosophical exercise...

Wow--interesting! (The SFS stuff especially--I wonder if we'll see other things from their back catalogue? And I wonder why they didn't just compile those Ligeti pieces into an album?)
Ahh...here's what's behind all the Ligeti stuff appearing all of a sudden:

https://www.therestisnoise.com/2023/05/ligeti-at-100.html
There's also a great new album by the Ligeti Quartet (inspired by the composer, presumably, though none of his music on the album). Both this and the Ligeti EPs posted by @mkt above feature adventurous music and adventurous mixes!
https://thequietus.com/articles/32816-ligeti-quartet-x-anna-meredith-nuc-review

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that the Seal album is no longer in Atmos on AM? 😡

Edit: You have to search for the Seal (Deluxe Version). The original version is no longer in Atmos. The Deluxe doesn’t show up as Atmos but only the extra songs are in lossless.

Last edited:
Back